Author Topic: Tools being used to make the game  (Read 7515 times)

arremelle

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Tools being used to make the game
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
Hi

I asked this question in the reply to the latest kick-starter update, probably should do it here instead...

would it be possible to get a list of the tools and OSs used by the devs in making the game? is everyone using PC or Mac? its fun to know how the game is being made and what which platforms  :)  I am really interested in the art package used by Mr Kitchen to make the excellent 2D artwork.

thanks

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Tools being used to make the game
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
I know that Jeremy uses The GIMP to do the art.  It's free, and available here - http://www.gimp.org/

Others on the team use various versions of Photoshop, as well.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Jerminator

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
Thanks Arremelle for the compliment.

Also I use a Wacom tablet, makes it much easier to draw in Gimp or Photoshop. Just in case you wanted to know that as well.

arremelle

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
hey you are welcome.

thanks for the feedback. I will give Gimp a try, the behind the scenes process video of "the beast" painting was really inspiring. I would love to see one of these vids with a background (or part of one).

Cheers

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
Here is one of a Bg from the introduction.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2d7fiQUUYQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Quest for Infamy - Baron&#039;s Castle</a>
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Sjors

• Recruit
  • Liked: 4
  • IA monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »
Wacom rules.. which one do you have?

Jerminator

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
I tried the newer versions but I stick with the classic Bamboo. I'm old school for this stuff. Not to say I'm not due for an upgrade in the coming days. heh.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
I have the Intuos 3--it's the bomb.  8x6 inch drawing area, which ends up being pretty close to the size of the images on my screen--which is nice.  Cost a pretty penny when I got it several years ago though, but it was worth it.  I use both Photoshop and GIMP for backgrounds and animations.  I find that each program has it's own individual strengths and weaknesses depending on what I'm looking to do with it.  I'll often switch between one and the other even on the same piece!
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Sjors

• Recruit
  • Liked: 4
  • IA monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »
Yup, also a Bamboo man; simple, small and subtle  ;D

Sirisul

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
What do you do for background drawings if a monkey could draw better than you? Is there any sites to get hints and tips from or even free backgrounds that you can monkey around with?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
A number of thoughts occur to me.

(1) You don't draw them. You start a computer game company and surround yourself with talented people.

(2) It's called practice numbnuts.

(3) Here are a few good tutorials by artists who have worked with us at IA.  A few of these tutorials are somewhat dated--i.e. the artists are producing work of even higher quality at this point--but these are still quite useful nonetheless, and demonstrate several important techniques for building up a scene from scratch.

If you're trying to hone your digital painting skills making Sierra styled backgrounds, you should take some time to watch these.

Enjoy!

Fizzi's Tutorials

http://fizzii.vze.com/

http://aurisacrafames.sitesled.com/Folio/tutorialsfolder/engineroom.html

LBS did this one

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/Tutorials/Tree.html

Corby did this one

http://www.corbydesigns.com/meadow/
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."