Author Topic: Your Introduction to Point and Click Adventure Games  (Read 17001 times)

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
Your Introduction to Point and Click Adventure Games
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
So what was the first Point and Click Adventure Game you ever played and how old were you when you played it.

For me, I was 18 (I know, started late), and it was Curse of Monkey Island. Whilst I did play the old school text based adventure games when I was really young, the first real point and click was the third Monkey Island game. A friend in college introduced me to it, I brought it that weekend and completed it and then tried to find other ones.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
Re: Your Introduction to Point and Click Adventure Games
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
Let me see.  My first adventure game was Zork and its brethren, followed by the Sierra parser-based games.  As far as actual PNC adventures, though, I'd probably have to say Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
King's Quest I, baby.  Well, I did play Wizard and Princess on the Apple II a few times, but not a whole lot before that.  KQ I, II and Space Quest I were my earliest games.  I was absorbed in them.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
My first adventure game was KQ1 on the PCjr.  The first point and click....probably KQV
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
At the age of late 16 / almost 17.  Here is my answer from a similar post in another Sierra-related forum:

I remember the first time I saw Larry -- the summer of 1988.  My brother was at the local ball fields for a Little League game, so I took the car to a friend's house near the game.

My buddy was the type of kid who was really into computers and modems/BBSs.  While helping the local bank get rid of viruses, he would collect and store them on 5-1/4" floppies... just in case he needed to use them (!).

Anyway, he showed me Leisure Suit Larry In The Land Of The Lounge Lizards on his PC Clone.  Not having a PC myself at the time (I'd have to wait until my Freshman year in college -- the CoCo would have to suffice for my Senior year in high school), I was amazed by the game.  We must have played through at least half of it before I had to pick up my brother...

Got a copy of it in my Sophomore year in college from a friend who was a huge Sierra fan.  He had an original Tandy 1000 machine back in the mid-'80s, and as such, had just about every good Sierra adventure/quest game (including the original KQ).

Ah, memories.   :)

My first true all-PnC was Space Quest IV.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
The first time I ever played an adventure game was when I was about 12 or so...it was at a friend's house and it was LSL 1...I couldn't get into it for the longest time because of the dang questions at the start.  But once I did, I was hooked.  Then we got busted by the parentals & banned.  :)

1st point n' click was KQ5, which my uncle bought for me.  Never been the same since, after that I was irrevocably addicted to adventure games.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Kings Quest 1 on Tandy 1000 EX, I got KQ1,2 & 3 for Christmas 1987. Happy times :) First point n click though? Monkey Island.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
My first adventure game was Castle Adventure--ASCII GRAPHICS FOR THE WIN.

First point and click game was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
I love ASCII and ANSI art!  Oh man, the old BBS's I used to go to had some great "door" games with ANSI graphics.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
My first point and click was Kings Quest V.

My first adventure game was Hero's Quest. I loved, and still love, that game to the ends of the earth. I would go as far as saying that it is perfect.

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
I'm not even quite sure what game it was I played first as I was very young when we got our first ICL workstation but my earlier memory is of the first King's Quest. However, back then I never knew what I was doing as I was about 4 or 5 at the time and I would just walk around typing 'pick up carrot' and walk around with a goat not realizing I had to actually do something with it! This was the same with Police Quest as well, I would just drive around for ages and load saved games my brother has created and piss about really, never thinking I had to follow a plot because nobody told me! After that I played other Sierra titles from SQ2 to KQ5 but never completed them by myself. I pretty much watched my brother play them half the time as he hogged the computer.

It wasn't to a few years later I played and completed my first adventure game which was The Secret of Monkey Island. Bloody loved that game. Infact, I've got it ready to play on my iPad for my journey to Cardiff.

Sjors

• Recruit
  • Liked: 4
  • IA monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
I actually can't remember my first real click and point experience.. propably Monkey island 2 or Day of the tentacle.. but it also might've been Mother goose vga on a friend's computer. Yeah, that's right; a friend's computer!  ::)

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
You know, I just realised that my first answer is completely wrong. My first Point and Click wasn't Curse of Monkey Island, it was Leisure Suit Larry In The Land Of The Lounge Lizards. I remember my mate's older brother had it and I went round to his house and played it when I was...., well I properly shouldn't say how old I was.

But I remember finding it funny though that in order to play the game, you had to pass a test to prove you were the right age, but it was multiple choice, so it just took restarting the game a few times before we got in

Jerminator

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »
First point and click game was Black Cauldron. Great game, actually played it again the other day. Have video of me playing it.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »
I played black cauldron pre KQ I think, but was it point and click?  :)