Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 154141 times)

daventry

• Recruit
  • Liked: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2015, 02:11:20 AM »

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2015, 05:51:22 AM »
nice but incomplete :)
very detailed but only follows one path it seems

also a few incorrect steps but, meh, you can do things in some orders on purpose to get achievements vs others
yours only covers about 1/2 or bit more

but very nicely done,
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

daventry

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
Thanks and what do you mean it covers 1/2 or is incomplete and missing a few steps, since i split the Walkthrough with Bravery Compassion and Wisdom, is there something else i missed :)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »
well each path should imo have its own walkthrough,
or at least say,
save here... to continue this path, etc

there are quite a few variables
but i dont know the steam achievements only ps trophy, but i think they are the same

anyway its great dooont get me wrong  looks very good
just again imo there in the end should be 3 mayyybe 4 walkthroughs if the paths require them
or one HUGE one with all in it

yours just kinda touches on a few things here n there, but omits said 2nd options
like shake the tree vs use picker etc
tons of ways to approach it depending on which items you hunt first etc,. so the order can be off also !
just saying :)

its only going to get more complicated later hehe
but thats a rocking faq!

daventry

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:28 AM »
Ah now i understand what you mean and theres no save/load system, also im lazy so i give the simple solutions like shaking the tree for example to all 3 Acts, but i split the bigger solutions.

Sure there are many ways to do a solution, but does your head not hurt already where i say one act do this and another act do that now all 3 acts together.

Making a big walkthrough specifically for the 3 acts could work, but in my play through, i dident see that many solution for the 3 acts, im just to lazy to expand.

By the way, i did years ago do a full 3 act walkthrough on Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis though.
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcIi/Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Fate%20of%20Atlantis.htm

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »
Yahtzee is awesome @Brainiac One of the reviewers I trust on adventure games being that he's an accomplished designer in his own right. I enjoyed that review (I enjoy all his reviews!)

And what, pray tell, are your thoughts on this one, @Klytos?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/14472-Worst-Puzzle-in-Each-King-s-Quest-Game
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2015, 11:15:13 PM »
Can't disagree with any of them.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2015, 12:15:35 AM »
The bridle/snake/horse puzzle, despite being retarded, isn't technically a dead end though.  It just makes crossing the thorn path MUCH harder.  It is possible though, as I did it several times as a kid because I was never able to "figure out" the bridle/snake/horse thing.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2015, 12:46:59 AM »
That particular puzzle is the single dumbest puzzle ever.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 22, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
I posted this before, but it got moved to another article...

Here is my review.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Baggins/Baggins%27_Review:_King%27s_Quest_Chapter_I:_A_Knight_to_Remember

Note: please don't move this, but just commenting as I mentioned before. The Bridle Puzzle at least had inspiration on mythology... The problem is you had to know two bits of Pegasus history to understand it... That made it really tough/obscure puzzle to solve. I suppose the second aspect is that KQ back then usually offered a violent and a non-violent approach to get past obstacles. The genie gives you three items, and the genie is related to the second act of the game (to take you up the mountain, and items he gives are to use up on that mountain), so I think that was supposed to be a clue in itself as well.

On a side note there is a method to the idea of the magic sugar cube as well. An old folk remedy is to rub a sugar cube over a bee sting to draw out toxins. Also there is another concept about sugar cubes being used to remove scratches (I think this is a reference to it having kind of gritty sandpaper like quality).

I honestly figured it out the first time I played through, and got the sugar cubes. I didn't even know the mythology behind it back then....

Yahtzee is awesome @Brainiac One of the reviewers I trust on adventure games being that he's an accomplished designer in his own right. I enjoyed that review (I enjoy all his reviews!)

And what, pray tell, are your thoughts on this one, @Klytos?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/14472-Worst-Puzzle-in-Each-King-s-Quest-Game

That's pretty much one big "I hate King's Quest" article.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2015, 09:30:54 AM »
It's just bad design to have puzzles refer to things like that without giving an in-game hint or something. I've read that Pegasus mythology as an adult, but as a kid / young teenager there's no way I would have known it and there is literally nothing in the game to even get close to that idea. So you have to resort to try everything on everything until something works. Which kinda sucks too. Saying that, it's easy to write a list of faults with any games with hindsight, but games like KQ1 and KQ2 should be given more of a free pass than others like KQ5 (which I totally agree with him about, the rat / inn puzzle is fucking horrible design). They were learning as they went with those really early games.

I'll say though, the backwards ass backwards Rumpelstiltskin puzzle is the worst puzzle in KQ1.  :)

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
There is actually a couple of obscure clues. If you pay attention. The first is that lamp itself is only accessible in Act 2 (the quest for the Second Door), once the pawn shop opens.

Everything the Genie gives you is for Act 2. The sword actually shows you a picture of the 'snake' this is a clue that there is an association between the genie's items and the snake. The only other item you have left to use other than the violent method is to use the bridle instead. If one noticed the clue on the sword itself.

Additionally the snake even warns you ("SSSsssssss! SSssstay away or I will ssssssstrike!"), not to get close (that it is dangerous). It isn't trying to be 'evil'. Again a clue that there is probably a non-violent approach.

But yes, I admit its extremely vague clue.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »

That's pretty much one big "I hate King's Quest" article.

if you mean the new one, not really, he does point out the obvious flaws then says he hopes they dont repeat that in the next episodes,

but if you mean the older ones, yea well saying LA did games better than Sierra well, diff worlds,
shrug

but one cant deny what he says about the odd gentlemens release, its almost exactly how I thought the game was from demos and how I still feel  about the 1st ep after a few plays,

its more a platformer with a few action dragons lair sequences than it is anything close to a point n click  there is almost no pointing or clicking involved, more the grim fandango controls of walking which is ok by me, just idk if id even call this point n click,

advent  sure,  but first , platform advent, like so

ah the ole snake in the grass haha
jaja terrible puzzles
but if you look at LA's puzzles it was odd inv combos which half the crew hated inv combination and the other half loved it ,  esp like sam and max (the original)  seriously mental combinations there lol
id equate that to bad puzzles in kq but thats just my opinion
XD

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
I'm referring to an article Braniac put up, that has nothing to do with the new game.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
its more a platformer with a few action dragons lair sequences than it is anything close to a point n click  there is almost no pointing or clicking involved, more the grim fandango controls of walking which is ok by me, just idk if id even call this point n click,

Grim Fandango's controls are actually something that should be easy to convert to 'point and click'. It would just involve adding a button to get to inventory, be able to move items to click on a hotspot on screen. Add a direct walk feature via the icons etc.

They added in some of those features with the recent Grim Fandango remake.