Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153397 times)

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
Another thing is the series might also age with Graham, becoming more serious as the series goes on. Similar to what occurred in Harry Potter.

if you see some of the artwork for older versions of Graham, he doesn't look as goofy, and gets more and more mature looking, and serious.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
I'd say he's still pretty goofy in attitude from his conversations (Christopher Lloyd version) with Gwendolyn. But I think you're right in that it's going to get more serious as it goes on.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »
My grandpas were goofy with me when I was a child. That doesn't bug me at all.

Although the bad puns are bad ;). No previous KQ game had this many puns, except in deaths.

Also Graham's health is at risk. He might have to become serious to impart some life lessons before he passes... I'm thinking this series may have a bittersweet ending.

Jerminator

« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
Jerminator, ya the knights look weird. Most of the human characters look fairly normal though. The game has a kind of illustrated storybook feel to it or a graphic novel feel to it.

It's somewhere between realistic style of the later KQ games KQ4-6, and the truly cartoony aspects of KQ7 (which had a lot of disproportioned indiviudals), and the cartoony style of KQ1-3, including the original manual artwork of KQ1 PCJR (which I think of as 1970's Saturday Morning Graham).

One can only hope it gets a little more serious as it goes on. I only found the really goofy parts to be when Graham would ask another NPC a question and freak out and go into a rant. I don't want to complain too much because I am enjoying the game.

I think you are spot on with the illustrated storybook style of the characters. I won't keep bashing them but I honestly still don't like the style and won't as long as they stick with it. It's way too artsy for a KQ game for me. I want something with a more serious tone preferably, but that seems to be my personal preference, I haven't seen many other complaints about it.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
Those freak out girly rants also had, the a lot of 'nerdy' KQ flavor and references LOL. He was going 'fanboi', LOL.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »
I'm glad that most of the humans in the game are more 'realistic' storybook than if it had gone full blown Disney cartoon.... The middle-ground 'Don Bluth'-style with a touch of illustrated fairy tale works better for it... for the most part. I this children's book once, that this book once that basically told the story of Jack the Giant Killer that had a similar art style.

As for the backgrounds they are luscious and remind me of higher resolution versions of KQ5. There is even this one screen you pass through at one point in the game that looks like its right out of the KQ5 elf caves.

Now KQ7... that's my least favorite game in the series... it wasn't that the artwork was bad, but the animation was horrendously bad. The companies that they used were the same ones who made those cheesy non-Nintendo Zelda spinoff games for the CD-I. That are used in the so called 'youtube poop'.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
Anyone remember how the old Sierra games back in the day were $50-70 dollars? Brand New? Some of the DVD versions even went as high as $90... I remember it when people either bought the games or they played a friends copy... (ya that is one reason why the prices were so high... piracy, and copy protection measures)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
took me about 1.4 hrs of gameplay to beat ep1 and epilogue
the thing that took the longest is how they left most useless areas open still but meh no biggie
but, compared to other episodic adventures this ranks around middle ground, not long  not short
but for me, nothing like the later kq titles time it took to play one

the early kq titles for sure but not the later ones
and even then  the parser era took time to type :)

so yea ill be awaiting the pc sale to mannny games to get and play before the complete collection on kq
@Baggins   haha yea i do remember how games were 59.99 or 69.99 per game with those odd dvds going higher
but .. thats the era when ram was 56$ per meg lol
sooo
not the same mate
but ah the good ole days

same with NES and SNES .. most forget like snes super mario was i believe 49.99 or 59.99 retail, n64 were mostly 59.99 for mario or top tier nintendo characters and less for the others

lol ahh yes fond memories
(still I will await this on sale if im to get it on the pc)

if the controls are anything like im thinking, ew, as the console version felt, very console-ish,
even uses vibration as I mentioned.

all n all I keep looking at it, even on console and its pretty

just a bit to, idk what the right word is for me...
childish? in terms of the gameplay and characters
but beautiful in terms of the backgrounds (though drastically linear)

I miss looking in every nook n cranny 
not having my character go  oh whats that! oh same thing you just clicked on, as the icons dont change to much, a few times trying to look at objects lead to talking which you cant skip even after you heard the dialog.. tsk tsk hope they fix that..

btw baggins what do you mean about them being more human?

I think the main knights you fight, are a mini cameo to toonstruck.. just a thought

Again horn being lugnut, whisper being feedback n manny as the small fry with big eyes which oddly has a helm in this game

but to me, looks just like they took lugnut and put him in this game for sure :)
which i love.

and most of the other characters look like they came OUT of a disney movie, so ..done very well though!

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »

I said this to Steve the other night, regardless of anything else, this is the first game I've bought on release day in about a decade. That's gotta mean something lol

That you are gullible?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
same with NES and SNES .. most forget like snes super mario was i believe 49.99 or 59.99 retail, n64 were mostly 59.99 for mario or top tier nintendo characters and less for the others

New Mario games still cost that much, or more.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
I miss looking in every nook n cranny 
not having my character go  oh whats that! oh same thing you just clicked on, as the icons dont change to much, a few times trying to look at objects lead to talking which you cant skip even after you heard the dialog.. tsk tsk hope they fix that..

That unfortunately been a problem since KQ7, the inability to look at everything on a screen. Actually only KQ6, and KQ1 SCI allowed you to look at everything. KQ5 just gave you a lot of red xs on the screen, there really wasn't a whole lot of things to look at in KQ4 and the earlier games. Some randomized messages in some cases.

The new game at least tried to bring back 'comments' for trying to use items on other things, something KQ6 added. But alas I doubt we'll ever get the multiple icons with dialogue for nearly everything on the screen like KQ6 had, and pretty much the only reason we got that before was because of Jane Jensen, and she doesn't even do that anymore.

btw baggins what do you mean about them being more human?
The human characters that are not in armor, that are clearly human (and not 'giant' or
Spoiler (hover to show)
') are drawn in more realistic proportions, at least are the case with Amaya, Old Graham (look at the realistic old man's hands he has), Gwendolyn, and Gart, and Wente. The Hobblepots still look fairly 'realistic' but are extremely old and crouched over. But all are drawn in a illustrated fairy tale book style, including all heavily shaded and textured details, rather than photorealistic, or realist painting style on one end of the spectrum, or almost no shading or detail as things appear in KQ7 (pure cartoon style). It's the difference between Zelda artwork on Twilight Princess vs. the artwork on Wind Waker for example.  Twilight Princess is more 'story book', but 'realistic, thoughly clearly still artwork', but Wind Waker is less realist, and "Toon" like.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
true true
on the mario

and i hear ya there on kq and nooks n crannies

gotta admit though that it does look like lugnut was tossed in as horn :)
thats ok imo  its a mini cameo esp with christopher llyod doing it.. idk
early voice casting was set for TTG's and they had most of the original toonstruck cast set for toonstruck 2, but it never happened :(

i want'sa toonstruck 2

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
id also like to add
that much like other episodic  "illusion of choice/choice" games
later this game will have higher hours of playability.
I dont want to spoil the game but examples are obvious if you played the game that there are prolly at least 3 paths to go on, if not a secret 4th

also id like to say how much this kinda makes me want a Princess Bride(the movie) game made the same kinda way!
just like the in-between movie stuff, kinda like game of thrones how almost no character from the game is in the show but they are only mentioned in the books (barely)

ugh that game hurts my head its so bad but meh,
so in the scheme of things I prefer this KQ to most TTgs titles of late..
:)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »

I said this to Steve the other night, regardless of anything else, this is the first game I've bought on release day in about a decade. That's gotta mean something lol

That you are gullible?

10 years first game ever on release? waaah
and had I said that line lambo did, haha woah id be ripped a new one, ty lambo for saying it for me :)

a decade really?
no ks stuff? nothing mate? really?
witcher 3? hmm

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
WItcher 3, WOlfenstein Old BLood, King's Quest, and Dreamfall Chapters are about the only games I preordered  or bought on release this year. Not counting the number of games on Nintendo's current systems.

If they can keep up the same amount of puzzles to inventory items relation for the next four episodes of the new KQ I'll be very happy. I don't have a problem with it having about the same amount of puzzles as KQ5 or the earlier games, rather than more as in the later games, as long as there is still plenty to do.

Who knows what the complete collection epilogue will turn out to be like. But that imo is the only reason to get the complete collection, and why I wouldn't get the episodes separately. I'm also happier that each of these KQ games are largely 'standalone' stories, that fits the feel of the original KQ series more than a long story divided into a bunch of chunks.

ALso I felt like there was more gameplay going on with the new KQ than in the new Dreamfall game, Dreamfall Chapters has some beautiful areas, but you run around 'lost' doing pretty much nothing. But they are long chapters still. But this new game feels much longer, especially if you go around trying to do everything you can with the various items, and look for the secret easter eggs, and paths.