Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153382 times)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
Adventure Gamers has a pretty extensive preview/interview article up as of yesterday.

LINK please.

(I'm just absolutely too lazy to be bothered to search for it...)

(FULL DISCLOSURE: Even then, I might not even read it.)

Here you go
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:53 PM »
Adventure Gamers has a pretty extensive preview/interview article up as of yesterday.

LINK please.

(I'm just absolutely too lazy to be bothered to search for it...)

(FULL DISCLOSURE: Even then, I might not even read it.)

Here you go

DE ?  Sorry, dude -- I'm not Sprechen el Deutsch here...

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
Or just click the giant link.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
Yes, The Odd Gentlemen are a small company - but they have the financial backing of a much larger company, Activision.  The money Activision has to spend on promotion and advertising for this game would make a Rockefeller blush.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Hahah, 10 points for Mod Squad reference.  Damn, sir, we are old school here.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 06:18:09 PM »
Yes, The Odd Gentlemen are a small company - but they have the financial backing of a much larger company, Activision.  The money Activision has to spend on promotion and advertising for this game would make a Rockefeller blush.

Bt

I somehow seriously doubt they got the same funding as an average Call of Duty game. Nor do I think they have anything to match the Rockefeller's legacy...

So far this game has mostly been advertised on world of mouth, free facebook message board, the Odd Genteman's website, and a very cheap "Sierra" website.

If you read the behind the scenes stuff for the Gabriel Knight remake it doesn't sound like Activision gave Jane Jenson and POS much of a budget for that game either... It shows in many places (as it many animations are completely removed and animation is more static, puzzles simplified to remove the need for animation in places).

In that Adventure Gamer article I noticed the part where it  mentions there is to be some villain that is tied into the entire series. It looks like it will probably be the Sorcerer who enslaved the dragon back in KQ1, and stole the mirror.

My personal guess is that sorcerer's identity will be revealed to be Shadrack (and "finally" tie up that one "loose end"). Unfortunately that also borders on 'over used' fan plot line #1 (as every fan author and every fan game has basically tied Shadrack and Black Cloaks to most of the KQ stories in someway)...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »

So far this game has mostly been advertised on world of mouth, free facebook message board, the Odd Genteman's website, and a very cheap "Sierra" website.

Yes, just those places...oh, and also every major games journalism website on the internet, and the fucking Video Game Awards, which are internationally broadcast.  Come on, man.   8)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
Activision didn't promote the Jane Jensen project, but you'll also note they didn't release it under the Sierra Games banner.

And Lambonius is right - while they're not spending Call of Duty amounts, they are spending quite a bit.  The money they laid out for the awards show was a substantial amount.  You know that show didn't just HAPPEN because people thought it'd be "neat".

Bt

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »

Yes, just those places...oh, and also every major games journalism website on the internet, and the fucking Video Game Awards, which are internationally broadcast.  Come on, man.   8)

The latter (as in journalism, not the Gamer Awards which certainly would have an advertising budget) is probably free word of mouth advertising (the "hyping' side of things). I did mention 'word of mouth'. Of course its possible Activision is bribing/sleeping with the journalists alla 'Gamersgate'....

BTW, KQ8 had a budget of 3 million. It was over budget technically.

But many games now are probably much more than that. While modern games are largely between 60 million to 140 million for the AAA titles. I somehow how doubt that Sierra "indie" line fits in the AAA budget range.

http://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649

It's obviously going to be much higher than a fan game. But who knows where it lies between a kickstarter project and 'financed' Indie game (ie Valiant Hearts or Child of Light).

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »
OF course we could ask 'how much did Phoenix" pay Roberta to get her to say a good word for Episode 1 (of the The Silver Lining)? of their obviously lower budget fan game?

What she says of that game is almost word for word what she said about the new game as well! I mean she literally says pretty much the same thing for both of them! Maybe due to the fact she has been out of the gaming industry she is easy to impress?

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »
Or she's not impressed by any of it but she's like, whatever, I'm on a boat.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
I like boats!

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
What she says of that game is almost word for word what she said about the new game as well! I mean she literally says pretty much the same thing for both of them!

Maybe it was part of some cruel contractual obligation, or she's being held hostage by some fanboy brigade  -- blink once for yes and twice for no, 'Berta!

The exact same, word-for-word, huh?  Reminds me of The Amazing Alexander...

"It was much better than Cats™.  I'm going to see it again and again."

The Amazing Alexander!

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »
Overall I am looking forward to the release. It is clear the developers are fans of the original series and seem very aware of the legacy they are dealing with.

I echo some of Klytos sentiments regarding the rose tinted glasses that some wear when looking back at the classics. One thing in particular is how many in the community talk as if the classics all had these really in-depth stories. Most of them were story driven, but usually by a fairly basic, straight forward story. In later games they often offered extra back story that could be explored by the super-fan but the surface story was pretty basic.

I like it that the developer wants to make the Kings Quest that would have been released in 2015. As Mark Twain said "Tradition is not wearing your Grandpa's hat, it is buying a new one like he did"