Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153405 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
The name "King's Quest" is a big, milk-heavy teat hanging down from on high, with the Odd Gentlemen's fingers tightly wrapped around its raw nipple, as Activision impatiently waits with open slathering mouth below.

I don't know if that's graphic enough a description.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
The name "King's Quest" is a big, milk-heavy teat hanging down from on high, with the Odd Gentlemen's fingers tightly wrapped around its raw nipple, as Activision impatiently waits with open slathering mouth below.

You over estimate the name.  The series as a whole sold 7 million games, TOTAL.  Nothing to write home about in today's market.  Yes, it is the top name in adventure gaming, but face it, we are a niche audience.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »

You over estimate the name.  The series as a whole sold 7 million games, TOTAL.  Nothing to write home about in today's market.  Yes, it is the top name in adventure gaming, but face it, we are a niche audience.

I have to wonder what percentage of the market that was back then though, especially in the 1990-94 era.  Almost certainly you'd have to adjust that figure to match the greatly expanded size of the video game market these days.  As IQ's resident mathematician, I assume you'll have a new figure for me shortly.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »

I don't know if that's graphic enough a description.

Bt

I'm sure you can believe that I edited it several times in order to maximize its graphic mental impact.  I'm quite proud of the final product.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
Your assumption here is terrible.  Sorry, but it is.  I would agree that it was a HUGE part of the market.  But, of the households that were in the market, the demographics were very similar.  This means it was easier to have games that appealed to the market as a whole.  By contrast, the market now is very different.  Also, if 100% of the market loved KQ, and the market grows 10 fold, then 10% of the market now was in that original group.  As the market expanded, they didn't go back and play the old favorites.  That is why the sales of KQ are heaviest with KQ7 and KQ8 (even though those games were not the best, or close to it).  I would assume a very small slice of today's market even knows what KQ is.  You know, like those guys from PAX who couldn't remember Matt Korba's last name, or GRAHAM's name for that matter. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
Your assumption here is terrible.  Sorry, but it is.  I would agree that it was a HUGE part of the market.  But, of the households that were in the market, the demographics were very similar.  This means it was easier to have games that appealed to the market as a whole.  By contrast, the market now is very different.  Also, if 100% of the market loved KQ, and the market grows 10 fold, then 10% of the market now was in that original group.  As the market expanded, they didn't go back and play the old favorites.  That is why the sales of KQ are heaviest with KQ7 and KQ8 (even though those games were not the best, or close to it).  I would assume a very small slice of today's market even knows what KQ is.  You know, like those guys from PAX who couldn't remember Matt Korba's last name, or GRAHAM's name for that matter.

I don't disagree with that.  I guess what I meant was just to say that with the vast differences in market and demographics in the early 90s vs. now, sales figures from the early 90s mean very little when brought up in comparison to the current state of the market.

Shortened story even shorter: We really have no idea how a new King's Quest game will perform in today's market, especially one where the developers profess a desire to preserve at least some aspects of the traditional adventure game style (arguments as to how successfully they preserve those aspects notwithstanding.) 

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
I think you are correct there except for the fact that the raw numbers indicate how well known a specific title may be.  If anything KQ is a full a cup as apposed to "a big, milk-heavy teat hanging down from on high."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Okay, well perhaps King's Quest is less of a dripping double D and more of a modest B-cup, or even just a particularly shapely pair of man-boobs.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
Man-boobs. Thank goodness i am not old enough or in that kind of shape to have those......yet!!!!!!  Mansierre anyone?  Misspell but remember Seinfeld?

Serious tho, If these dudes can make a classic game, such as we had in the 80's and 90's more power to them. I will pay for that.  However if its a first person style game i will not be playing it........Chadly
**********Chadly*********************

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:07 PM »
Man-boobs. Thank goodness i am not old enough or in that kind of shape to have those......yet!!!!!!  Mansierre anyone?  Misspell but remember Seinfeld?

I believe the correct term is: "The Bro"...   8)

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
or interactions will be based on physical location of the player.  Either way, it doesn't sound great.

Back in the day KQ1-3 was 'sort of like that'. You literally had to walk up to a tree before the game would recognize that you wanted to look at that specific tree, and not the entire forest, or get confused and tell you it wasn't interested.

It was handy in later games when Graham would actually look at things from across the screen. You had a mouse to right click look at specific things.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Look

More to be see more about the "puzzleing" in the new game:

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/File:First_Look_King%27s_Quest_Brings_Retro_Wonder_to_a_New_Generation

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »
Look, in my oppion this game will suck ass, because they will try to change too many things to accomodate the modern gamer.  Hell I am a modern gamer and i don't like most of them.  i enjoy old school classic games where I had to think and use logic to get thru the game.  If its a first person adventure forget it.  If its modeled like old 80's and 90's games great i will buy it,  but thats a pipe dream at best.   I will stick will the folks at IQ for classic games! :)

Chadly

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »
Why are you so hung up on this "first person" thing, Chadly? I haven't seen any footage from the game that hasn't been 3rd person, unless I'm missing something.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
I don;t mean to be hung up on the first person thing Corrigan.  Its just that all todays games are first person shooters. I sold all my systems because im sick of them.  True i maybe be bitching too much, i am just tired of subpat crap in games, as that seems to be the standard anymore.  Perhaps i am living too much in the past but remember great old games.  Sure doom and Wolfenstein were revolutionary for their time, but all games seem to be that way now.  I like 3rd person games.  Diablo was great, and newer games like dark forces 2, etc are fun. I am wore  out on the genre, as I want to think not blast shit to high hell to beat a game.  Logic and puzzles are more my cup of tea so to speak.  An old classic like LOLO for the Nes system comes to mind.  I want you guys to continue making your games so maybe others will join the fold and follow, :)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 11:57:20 PM »
To be fair, they have said that Graham will have the option to aim a bow and arrow in a first person view at the dragon.