Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153458 times)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »
People are assuming a hell of a lot about this game.

My two cents worth: Classic adventure game fans aren't the target demographic for this because, as anyone who frequents those forums knows, nobody there actually likes anything to do with adventure games that has come out since 1992.

i totally agree IF it didnt use KQ as a title, since it does this forms this  assumption and presumption one must admit that
has some shoes to fill in most minds, but as most have said if you like platformers and want to keep an open mind you might find this game wonderful
me i just dislike them, in general, minus the retro ones, if this game has that retro feel IM ALL IN..
but ive seen some early demos and .. doesnt look to happy..
but again as most said one must wait for it to come out, ill rent it, and if i likes it, buy it. but again DONT USE KQ name and think people and fans wont have assumptions about it.

idk

again just the fact its a platformer  with puzzles  just think again TRINE meets KQ..
im just curious to see what the writting and puzzles bring to the table over and above the lame duck jump duck jump logs on a raft ride (which has been done to death)

does look pretty though  game wise

but that doesnt sell me :)

annnyway im making no assumptions, just the facts jack, this is a platformer, this has been shown as many demos, non playable, this game looks again like rayman or trine meets kq. will it be? we will find out together im sure :)
but let me ask a loaded rhetorical question.

if the game does come out, and blows hard, will people still not be able to voice that opinion due to it not being KQ in reality? as its truly not a kq title even with the name just as QFI isnt a QFG title.
idk

:)

cant be worse than some of the later kq series lol
orrr cannn it hehe
bro hugs
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/06/passing-the-hat-an-in-depth-look-at-the-new-kings-quest.aspx

Is probably the best article on the game that I have read. It does answer some of the questions like the interface, confirms that it won't be an action / platformer and is a puzzle driven game in an open world. Of course we won't know till release... but if they make the game they say they are making I think I will be happy

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
sweet
as all the live demos ive seen look just like 100% plat-former, or 90% plat 10% puzzle  0% adventure

interesting if this develops you just gave me some hope on this! cheeeeers matey

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2015, 04:07:49 AM »
Just over one month till episode one releases, will you buy?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2015, 04:45:13 AM »
Yep, sure will. I'm looking forward to it. Practically for Christopher Lloyd alone.

Now waiting for the crowd of haters to attack this thread...
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
Doesn't look like the game has actually 'platforming'. Unless you count the rock jumping in KQ5 'platforming".

It you have to use a one button action on each rock to jump to the next one, with the interface.

The 'walk' icon is the 'action' button/icon.

The hand is for picking up items.

The talk icon is for talking to characters.

The satchel is the inventory.

I'm guessing there will probably a 'look' icon as well, where its relevant.

The icons have a KQ5 interface vibe to them.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »
well again this gives me some hope vs the demos i saw of him on a raft jumping logs n ducking etc

seemed like something like space ace or dragons lair in the 1st demo lol

but after seeing all this  well, hmm
migggggggggght have to look into getting the game hehe ty

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »
Yep, sure will. I'm looking forward to it. Practically for Christopher Lloyd alone.

Now waiting for the crowd of haters to attack this thread...

oh my didnt know that either, NOW this game has a triple vote from me :)
that cat was fun to work around in telltales sound studio  pretty mellow dude vs his roles he plays hehe

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »
The icons have a KQ5 interface vibe to them.

Copying the icon artwork does not a KQ5 interface make.  This whole game feels like a cynical nostalgia cash grab to me.  It will all hinge on how well they're able to do intelligent puzzle and exploration gameplay.  That's the key to the series.  All the rest is just a fancy dressing.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2015, 02:52:19 AM »
Copying the icon artwork does not a KQ5 interface make.  This whole game feels like a cynical nostalgia cash grab to me.  It will all hinge on how well they're able to do intelligent puzzle and exploration gameplay.  That's the key to the series.  All the rest is just a fancy dressing.

The interface  will suck, but you are right the game hangs on the puzzles and exploration .

Am not sure you would bother investing so much into the production values if it was simply a cash grab. It is a high risk strategy to spend millions to just pretend you are interested in the series.
Still it is all speculation till next month

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2015, 02:59:21 AM »
Intelligent puzzle and exploration gameplay? In a King's Quest? Have you played the originals?
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2015, 03:13:27 AM »
Intelligent puzzle and exploration gameplay? In a King's Quest? Have you played the originals?
Haha! Intellegent puzzle isn't the right term for me it is all about immersion and the right atmoshphere

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2015, 03:58:28 AM »
The reason the criticism of this new King's Quest does my head in is because it's being compared to a myth. There's no King's Quest formula that was followed beyond the first two games. V is completely different to II, III is out there on it's own as is VII and MoE. KQ6 is completely different to the other games. The only common theme is Graham and his family.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2015, 04:58:28 AM »

I agree its not the same interface.

One thing of note they did say the script for the first episode alone is as large as Grim Fandango (600 pages). The interface seems highly inspired by Grim Fandango's interface as well.

It is also said to be open world, you can pretty much go anywhere, and do anything in many different orders. The choices you make, and the order you take the game may influence events in future games as well.

As for puzzles we'll have to wait and see... It could be KQ8 style puzzles (a mix of physics, and simplistic item based puzzles, and 'trading puzzles'), or it could be KQ1 style puzzles (for most heart a 'treasure hunt', with only a few key puzzles here or there), or it could be KQ7 style puzzles (largely simplified compared to previous two games), or it could be KQ5 and KQ6 (mix of extremely hard to well thought out puzzles)... I doubt it will be KQ3 style puzzles which were really not puzzles but mostly finding items, and making spells from a manual that told you every step... and then left majority of the puzzles as spells in which the manual told you largely what situations they were useful in.

They have said there will be multiple ways to solve puzzles though much like how there was the ability to use a knife or throw water at the Dragon, and other such examples in the previous games.

How 'difficult' or how 'easy' is going to be different to different people. Or how well thought out the puzzles are, or how 'obtuse' will be left to personal opinions as well.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2015, 05:04:22 AM »
The reason the criticism of this new King's Quest does my head in is because it's being compared to a myth. There's no King's Quest formula that was followed beyond the first two games. V is completely different to II, III is out there on it's own as is VII and MoE. KQ6 is completely different to the other games. The only common theme is Graham and his family.

Yep, Klytos is right. People and fans are the one with 'rose-tinted' glasses, and suffering and influenced by 'nostalgia'.

Almost every game after 2, changed the puzzle designs (KQ5 and KQ6 are more closely related puzzle wise, but still different in some ways, one being linear (except in the beginning of the game), the other being more 'open world', but with largely linear islands). KQ7 and KQ8 have some similarities in interface, but at the same time very different gameplay.

Of course if you look at the console ports as well, and official remake of KQ1, there are changes to puzzle design and ways of interacting with the environment to suit the different systems or changes to the original game.

Also King's Quest games are not really remembered for 'intelligent puzzle' design but rather 'moon logic puzzle design', or at the very least needing a firm knowledge of many obscure fairy tales stories, or other literature references, that sometimes only the game developers 'understood'.

King's Quest was originally more a vehicle for Roberta to showcase technology advances. Nothing more and nothing less. It allowed her to dabble with her childhood love of fairy tales, but it also wasn't her main purpose of designing games. The main purpose was usually to get you to buy new hardware, or force you to upgrade your PC, so she could show off improved multimedia features! Even the first game was to show off the capabilities of the IBM PCjr.

There are many other Sierra (and even from other companies, Lucasarts, Westwood studios, etc) games with much better and more intelligent puzzle design, including exploration and immersion as well.

Now a days I read more reviews that criticize King's Quest in general from old time players and new players of Adventure games, than those who passionately love the series, and mindlessly enjoy and have their own vision of what they think King's Quest actually is.