Author Topic: You know what really ticks me off?  (Read 46711 times)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: You know what really ticks me off?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
I had long talks at cons and over nets and in person

many would have opted to just use their blue ray player or WAIT to get the ps blue ray
in order to have the ability to play the ps2 games instead

thats all I gots to say

yes it was due to games getting to big, so it would have been a really really cheap ps  that was aimed at ole backwards games only no blue ray ones

odd but this came up sooo many times people upset at the no backwards stuffs
many many many of them said i could live without blueray games id rather play the old stuff and my old console is broke and said stores or ebay want to much for consoles that are the originals and might go out at any moment,  hell nintendo will fix a wii or GC still, its 150$ usd to FIX a gc and all you need is a bic pen and some know how

anyway

just know it was a talk about how we .. the old school gamers would have liked the option to have both blue ray and backwards compat, but only 3 models exist, sooo we would have opted for a model called like ye old school  with preloaded stuffs and older hardware aka a new ps2 just as ps3.. basically..

hard to explain .. just get a ps2  toss in shadows of the collssuusss and watch how chug chug it goes, some games just never ran well on ps2 and we were all going oooo cant wait for ps3 so this game will finally run in more than 3 fps!

and it did for a few models, again as you said, the chips were made, the emu done the money was spent already,
taking it out did almost nothing for the cost total, the only thing vampin it up, was the blue ray which no other systems offered.. not even xbox, sooo why did ps need it shrug
movies.. was sony's main reason, not games, and most had a blue ray player already in the home, some didnt   i dont, I dont even have an hd tv so what good would a blue ray hd dvd do for me? lol

though I do collect blue ray dvds like the doctor who box with the 3d anni special which one day ill be able to watch i hope, .. in 3d hd at home shrug
or my blade runner case signed by like almost  the whole damned crew .. mc awesome got one dvd ver and one blue ray etc

annyway

still think since the tech is there, they should throw it back in,
same with microsoft and windows products
i mean we as old techs or gamers can use VM's and run games, why not just include this in windows with no real cost at all, hell partner up with some people or buy em out, they would make LOADS of cash on it,  not a choice id have said no to if i was head of any of these companies esp in this awesome era of the comebacks.. aka games and movies revamped or the nostalgia of old games coming back full force.. = money and demand.. is high

shrug

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
era of the comebacks.. aka games and movies revamped or the nostalgia of old games coming back full force.. = money and demand.. is high

This is what I am still not sure on.  Yes, it appears that demand is high, but is there real data to support that claim?  I can go to certain sites and see that there are people asking for it, but are they more of a vocal minority?  I am guessing that the actual demand is much lower than what you think it is. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm still confused about the Blueray.

If a PS3 didn't have blueray the disks would have all had to be sold on dvd which would have meant lots of disc swapping. It would have cost more money to sell DVD and Bluray versions of games, to those who wanted one or the other. Having media that holds more data without the disc swapping is convenient. As is moving towards digital download with the ever growing harddrive sizes.

Now something I would have backed would have been a 3rd generation PS2 that had a hard drive, and sold games digitally, and faster parts, increased memory (sorta of like they did with later PSPs). But like you said I wouldn't have minded just to pay a little extra to have that emulation in later models of the PS3 (taking it out didn't save much).

As for 'movie revamps'...

I pretty much hate 'movie revamps'... In most cases the originals are infinitely better. Hollywood needs to be more original, and try to live off of older ideas...

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
Well I think the demand will increase the more years pass. There was no demand for enhanced remakes or releases of PS1 games during the PS2 era. But during, maybe about the middle of the PS3 era, people wanted PS1 classics. Now that PS4 era is starting, maybe middle of the era, people will want more PS2 classics.

Then in the middle of the PS5 era, people will want more PS3 classics. Although ya, some PS3 stuff is being rereleased in HD versions already on the PS4.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »
people wanted PS1 classics...people will want more PS2 classics...people will want more PS3 classics.

Yes, but HOW MANY people?  Enough to make it worth it financially?  If it were, they would be doing it.

I would love to play Metal Gear Solid for nostalgia, but I am not willing to pay for that ability.  I would rather put my money towards a new experience.  I am guessing I am in the vast majority.  Sure most people WANT it, but they aren't going to PAY for it. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
yes enough people for the companies to meet demand

again this is odd coming from a person involved in making a retro style game dude
lol

sheesh?

yes this is the era of the comebacks, need proof google is a friend, more and more people want the humor and story and are just bored to death of the next BF or COD etc.. dont get me wrong those sell but they have insane budgets, vs games like yours or the old games already made and people want to play

its already slated that the next ps will allow you to stream the old ps1 2 and play ps3 games but to what end im not sure, means you have to re purchase the old games. but its the option they picked,
that means these consoles CAN play the old games, period

sigh

anyway

as for ps3 without blue ray, no it would not have lead to disc swapping any more than say the xbox would, which didnt offer the blue ray.. sooo yea..

idk mate, ive talked to thousands of people since the ps3 bs took out the chipset due to claiming to lower the cost, which it really didnt not much anyway..

so again that tech was seen as needed or sony wouldnt have put it in .. in the beginning, and yes many want it or again they wouldnt have bothered.
sigh mate all the evidence is before you

where are we posting? FC3 forums? AC unity forums? COD? nope
we are in an AGS made retro point and click forum, and so many of these retro games esp after kickstarters etc, well this is the era of the remake, just turn on the tv, or pay attention!

I just saw the hobbit part 3 with my daughter one of the trailers, for terminator, with arnold fighiting himself as an older version of himself
why was total recall remade,
want the movie list? lol comic movies also, vs the mindless bashing of the same ole same ole movies like oh another die hard movie (though im not going to knock die hard 1 .. but really anything after that ahhh runn)

ill stop posting, i dont like where this is going, its like prove it or lalalalalaaaa i cant hear ya!

love ya mate but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

take care
and happy holidays

ps hug your loved ones

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
Uh, they are already doing PS1 classics (they just convinced Konami to rerelease Sukoden 2, which has been rather rare in the US).  Something like 10-20 classics come out a year right now. Due to a glitch earlier this year, people already know that almost the entire backlog of PS1 is already in the system just ready to be sold. They are actually quite popular, and most work on PSP, Vita, and PS3, and the upcoming PS TV.

PS1 classics probably make up the bulk of the PSP and Vita sales even. Considering there aren't many games released during the life of the two systems... They aren't that successful in the US, and because Sony decided early on they didn't want to put the same support into them they do for Japan. So they are mostly advertised on the PS1 classics, and some PS2 ports oddly enough!

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/24/sony-removes-recently-added-psone-psp-classic-games-from-vita-store/

Some of what is holding back release is 'licensing' all the companies have to be involved and the lawyers made happy. One of the reasons it took Sukoden 2 so long.

PS2 classics are still going slow (maybe 3-5 a year), but may start picking up as people demand the games again. There are ways to contact the companies involved to demand the games.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
I would love to play Metal Gear Solid for nostalgia, but I am not willing to pay for that ability.  I would rather put my money towards a new experience.  I am guessing I am in the vast majority.  Sure most people WANT it, but they aren't going to PAY for it.

Uh dude where have you been, its already up in the store it was rereleased as part of the Metal Gear Solid collection, but can be bought independently from the digital store.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO

Hell, it even comes with emulated versions of the NES Metal Gears (except for the US Metal Gear 2 that Hideo Kojima didn't have part in)

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
as for ps3 without blue ray, no it would not have lead to disc swapping any more than say the xbox would, which didnt offer the blue ray.. sooo yea..

Um incorrect. Several games on Xbox 360 which uses DVD and/or HD-DVD  (a medium that never caught on, and is no longer supported). That new HD-DVD technology actually made the 360 cost extra money on release as well in the same way the Bluray did. It was bleeding edge tech, in competition with Bluray. But Bluray won out.

The average 360 media holds between 6-15 gb of data at the most. The bluray holds up to about 50 gbs.

In fact several games do require disk swapping, because the DVDs or if they choose to use them, HD-DVD does not hold as much as the bluray. So the Xbox 360 version in games that were on both consoles sometimes had more than one disk on the 360, than they would on PS3. The Castlevania Lords of Shadow series for example were on two disks on 360 and 1 disk on PS3.

Mass Effect 3 was another game that required disk swapping on the 360 because it was so large. As are the later Assassin's Creeds from 3 and 4 for example. Were so huge.

The need for discswapping on the 360 begins around the time that games reached the 30 gigabyte range.

Had both Microsfot and Sony decided to use old DVD or even older CD technology it would have required even higher amounts of disc swapping. But instead they both decided to put their support and development costs into more expensive unproven digital medium technologies. And HD-DVD lost the battle, and Sony won out.

http://techland.time.com/2011/03/30/new-disc-format-for-xbox-360-adds-1-gb-still-no-match-for-blu-ray/

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
why was total recall remade,
want the movie list?

Just because a movie is remade, doesn't mean people 'want them'. The majority of remakes actually bomb in the theatres. Most lose money. If they are lucky they break even once it goes to rentals.

Sequels do a little better, but not always.

Of course the new generation of super hero movies are wanted because of the super hero franchise, not necessarily because its a 'reboot'.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »
There's a major difference between retro style gaming like what we've made with QFI and playing 20 year old games on a modern system. Our games only simulate retro, they're a modern 24 bit colour palette, they use a modern supported engine, they use modern digital music formats and modern tools such as a particle effects generator. We don't have to go, how are we going to get this to function with a modern video card, because it's built with current technology. I doubt very much there's much similarity between the PS1 and the PS4 in terms of hardware architecture now, in the same way a PC from 1983 has much in common with a PC from 2014.

It's a false premise drawing a line between what we do with retro style gaming and talking about emulating older games on a modern system. The two things have nothing in common beyond aesthetics.

All this talk of retro games made me go and download the original Crash Bandicoot on my PS3. $2.49 is a good price for an 18 year old game I think. I certainly wouldn't pay more for it. (My original CD is scratched.)
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
Yes, but HOW MANY people?  Enough to make it worth it financially?  If it were, they would be doing it.

Sure most people WANT it, but they aren't going to PAY for it.

Quoted for truth. I've bought a couple of older PS1 titles through PSN but I've not payed more than a couple of dollars for each. People WANT a lot of things but aren't willing to pay for it. It's hard enough getting people to pay for a new game let alone a decade/s old game.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »

Uh dude where have you been, its already up in the store it was rereleased as part of the Metal Gear Solid collection, but can be bought independently from the digital store.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO

Hell, it even comes with emulated versions of the NES Metal Gears (except for the US Metal Gear 2 that Hideo Kojima didn't have part in)

Bad example, but it illustrates my point even better.  I LOVED that game, yet I have never even attempted to go back and play it, or even find out if I could.  Now that I know, I still am not likely ever going to play it, especially if I have to pay for it.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »
yes enough people for the companies to meet demand

again this is odd coming from a person involved in making a retro style game dude
lol

sheesh?

Just because I helped to program a retro-style game doesn't mean I believe they are going to make enough money to pay the bills.  I also work a full time job.  No chance I quit it to go into the retro gaming industry.  Not enough interest there.  I am part of the team here because I love the genre and the games.  But even then, I am not going to pay full price to be able to play them.  When I got my sierra games from GOG, I waited for a damn good sale because I wasn't willing to pay full price for them and I am a dedicated fan.  There really isn't enough interest dude.  It's not me just saying "prove it."  I just don't agree that there is enough interest, because if there was, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  Yes, there is money to be made, but not enough for it to be a priority.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
Ya, but it wasn't put back up for you, it was put up for the people wanted to play the entire series. Or those who wanted to replace their copy and play it again.