Author Topic: You know what really ticks me off?  (Read 46680 times)

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
Re: You know what really ticks me off?
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
More to my point though is that the hardware of the time of VHS could not display the quality we have today with Blu-Ray.  So, would you rather have the old version, copied from VHS, that is an inferior quality to begin with, or would you rather have the optimized version of a movie that has been released at a higher quality because the technology is now available?   

**FYI, I am not expressing any view here, but I am interested in the conversation that can be had

A bluray version of Casablanca isn't necessarily going to be infinitely better than the original film reel version of the movie. It's going to be limited by the quality of the original medium to begin with. The only thing bluray or digital copy might add is convenience. Which is important to me in the long run, the convenience of being able to continue to enjoy the movie, even if the transfer cannot be be improved by much, even with digital clean up techniques.

If its a newer movie where the masters haven't decayed are filmed in high speed/HD resolution, then the benefits of Bluray or digital HD begin to truly show.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
For example, I am looking forward to the new Grim Fandango, but it is the SAME game.  Should I move on and enjoy the newer version or just play the old version that I have? 

Not all digital 'enhanced' remakes are the same.

I totally agree and understand.  I was specifically referring to Grim Fandango and from all accounts, it appears to be a 1:1 remake with a hopefully better interface for the player.  I am guessing it will play just like the monkey island remakes.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
I'm a MASH fan. They did do a cleaned up version in the past for the television showings, but many scenes were cut due to the degradation of the original masters. THese enhanced versions were based on later syndicated versions of the episodes reduced for commercial time. So sometimes 5-10 minutes cut from each episode.

When they made the DVDs and Blurays they decided to go back to the masters. They fixed what they could, but in some cases it was so degraded the choice was to put the degraded version on the disks to keep the full version of the story, or cut them out completely. They went with a mix of using enhanced where they could, but kept the degraded scenes wherever possible. There were maybe two episodes where the masters had rotted beyond ability to save the content, and there were no other options to get the lost scenes back into them again, so they had to go with the enhanced versions instead (luckily these were 'clips episodes' so not a lot of story was actually lost).

Then the original Star Trek? I'm don't think watching the Special Edition versions are necessarily better than watching the original tv versions. Or that the special editions of Star Wars are necessarily better than the original theatrical versions.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
In the end, it's business.

The juice isn't always worth the squeeze.  The extra effort to please a handful of people doesn't matter to companies, because often people that want backwards compatibility don't want to spend for it.  And if you're not giving them money, then fuck you.  Really, that's how it works.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
I'd certainly pay for that official chipless software based PS2 emulator that was already made for PS3, but removed in latest versions. Might even play up to $100 bucks for it. Especially if it might increase the chances of those games going digital in the future.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
I'd certainly pay for that official chipless PS2 emulator that was already made for PS3, but removed in latest versions. Might even play up to $100 bucks for it. Especially if it might increase the chances of those games going digital in the future.

You are in the minority there.  How many people would pay $100 more for their PS3 or XBOX One for that ability/emulator?  Not enough.

Bt hit it on the head.  It is purely business.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »
Yeah, you would pay for it - some others would, but in a production run where they're looking at bottom lines in the high 9 figures or even billions, it's not worth it for them.  The development costs, the hiring of the team to do it... yeah, it's purely business.  Unless a vast majority of people who buy systems demand this kind of thing, they won't do it.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
...business...juice...squeeze...effort...please...handful...backwards...fuck...it works.

Lambonius: Selectively editing Bt's posts to implicitly refer to masturbation since 2008.

You're welcome.   8)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
Yeah, you would pay for it - some others would, but in a production run where they're looking at bottom lines in the high 9 figures or even billions, it's not worth it for them.  The development costs, the hiring of the team to do it... yeah, it's purely business.  Unless a vast majority of people who buy systems demand this kind of thing, they won't do it.

Bt

Well my point was in this case the digital software emulator was already made, the money was already spent for its development. It technically would work on any current model. It's really just a simple firmware update to turn it on. The files can actually still be downloaded off of the PSN store, they just been disabled for certain models (unless you jailbreak your PS3, and then its easy to reactive apparently with the leaked master keys).

They do get used for some of the digital releases though, like the Castlevania: Lament of Innocence release, and a handful of other games. The idea was apparently instead of giving everyone the ability to have access to that emulator, it would only be open to the developers to release digital versions, and make sony 'even' more money. The only thing is not many companies are taking advantage of that option. There has been maybe 2-3 PS2 Original games that came out last year (PS1 originals have been maybe 10 a year a year at best). 

There doesn't seem to be any discussion of the support being added to PS4, Vitas, or that Playstation TV addon. Though each of those systems would be capable of supporting the emulator

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
Its a matter that this PS2 emulator already exists. Was already produced. If I wanted to jailbreak my PS3 I could already use it now. But that would cause issues with access to PSN, since Sony is constantly updating PS3 to make sure jail broken machines don't have access to the store.

More about the PS2 emulation, and Sony chooses to use it is discussed here.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps2-classics-on-ps3

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »
Sounds like a business decision to me, keep the emulator for developers so Sony can get money from them when you purchase your old games.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
Ya, I'm pretty sure that's the point. The only thing is very few developers are taking advantage of it. Hopefully maybe if they move it to the PS4 at some point...

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
i know MANY that would have taken a ps without blue ray  and take the backwards compat
hence why imo a nice ye ole school ps woulda been a nice add

but again my point IS that microsoft for almost nothing in cost could just add support like VMWARE does
without the hassle of extra cost
same with consoles, really do you know what that chip cost? it wasnt 100$
taking it out dropped the consoles only 45$ usd, thats it! the reason they took it out was
1. so people didnt see it as that high of price
2. the chip they used played only 80% yes that % is correct, of ps2 games but 100% or so ps1
and when it did play some games, it was wonky, as emulation is ...

forcing us gamers to emulate ps2 on pc, well it works but then it doesnt too
some games just hate it, some dont mind and work just fine, so im happy to emulate but again soon that option will fuckin vanish

and btw TY for the laugh on the masturbation mod post hahahahaha
i was thinking that in my head like nice words (is bt like related to jack black or somefin?)

skaaa dooucheee
:)
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
Ya, I'm pretty sure that's the point. The only thing is very few developers are taking advantage of it. Hopefully maybe if they move it to the PS4 at some point...

to me in the end i know sony and microsoft AND nintendo will and does see that gamers want the old stuff,
so they will indeed make it digitally available but to what end and cost well shrug
and how will they do the jap imports i paid so much for, and learned enough to read old games (still cant get it by listening though they talk so damned fassssst)

ahh the snes translation days  (I used to spend weeks helping translate those suckers for all to play on emulators hehe with a huge team of help mind you)

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »
A PS without a bluray? Doesn't the PS3 media utilize bluray to limit disk swapping or do you mean they should have went back to DVD disks?