Author Topic: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser  (Read 25107 times)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
I have to say, regardless of what the game turns out to be, I LOVE that it has been this controversial.  I think it's important to make a stink about this kind of stuff, for the sake of the "genre."  haha
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »
I have to say, regardless of what the game turns out to be, I LOVE that it has been this controversial.  I think it's important to make a stink about this kind of stuff, for the sake of the "genre."  haha

I don't know how I feel about it.  It seems to be mostly bickering between old school adventure fans and tell tale adventure fans, and then some other adventure game fans that have not really taken a side.  The issue is that the "controversy" is between the adventure game community.  This is the same community that typically wont pay more than $10 for a GOOD game, and even then, they wait for a sale.  This is the community that has proven time and time again that there is no reason for large companies to pursue games in the genre.  That is why we only get Tell Tale style games.  And even then, those game release at a price of $30 on XBOX One and PS4 and quickly fall to $10-$15.  The adventure game community doesn't actually support adventure games when it comes to what matters most to the companies making them; their wallets.  At the end of the day, the only way we will ever get new games using the old IPs is to make them for a new audience which means they CANNOT be traditional adventures.  It is a sad reality, but the adventure game community has helped cerate the problem.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
kq wiki removed most of the fan based games, even kq silver lining was removed and given a separate page.

Not actually removed, no pages have been removed. There is a link to the fan game and fan fiction main page from the main page itself.

Actually most articles cross-link into the fan pages at the bottom of the page, where the topics are related somehow.

However, I do need to get around to sprucing up the fan page, and giving it fancy thumbnail links, with pictures of the game boxart, or at least title screens.

Any help with the page would be appreciated of course.
http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Fan_Main_Page

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »
Some additional stuff released since the trailer announcement;

The barebones website;
http://www.sierra.com/kingsquest

Developed by The Odd Gentlemen, the new King’s Quest™ reimagines all the charm, humor, puzzles, exploration and sense of wonder that made the franchise so magical when it first arrived thirty years ago. Old and grey, King Graham – the hero made legend in the original King’s Quest games – shares the extraordinary stories of his youth with his curious granddaughter, Gwendolyn, taking players back to the feats that shaped a kingdom.

And so begins an episodic saga that honors the core characters and familiar storylines of King Graham’s early adventures, setting up new chapters tied to – but independent of – the series that helped define Sierra and the adventure genre. Through these tales, a whole new generation can finally experience one of gaming’s most beloved journeys.

Other news:

http://blog.theoddgentlemen.com/post/104464765209/kings-quest-trailer-debut-at-the-game-awards-we
This King’s Quest trailer is just the first of hopefully many sneak peeks at our game. Look forward to media showing off puzzles, story, exploration, and more wonder.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
Chuck, you really nailed it.  The adventure game community did help create the quandary it's in now, in regards to larger publishers wanting to touch the genre.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
No one wants to put the kind of budget the games would require, because they would never make the money back.

There is enough criticism for quite a few of the adventure games that came out this year from from Kickstarter campaigns for not living up to the quality of the originals.

Larry Reloaded is hit and miss.

GK 20th Anniversary is a fun game, but its not as good as the original. It didn't get the same budget even. It shows in lack of animation and polish, and the atmosphere isn't quite right.

Broken Sword 5 was pretty good, but it has a lot of its old time fans against it for being to simplified and 'linear'.

Started on Dreamfall chapters, the animation and presentation looks great. But its really too early to tell what the finished game will be like. People might find it to be too "Telltale-esque" in puzzle design and interface?

I haven't played the latest Tex Murphy, so I can't make a comment. I think its mostly liked by its fans?

Broken Age? I see a lot of people complaining about it.

Some people believe that Hero-U won't live up to the QFG games, and it arguably leaning towards a different genre or style in some ways.

Space Venture, well we don't know much about it at all yet.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »
As for Shadowgate reimagining... I thought it was great, very close to getting the original game's feel, with essentially a new storyline (inspired by the original).

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
I liked Shadowgate a lot, and I hear they're going to do more Icom games, which I am happy about!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
Yep they are doing a sequel next year, or so. It is apparently going to be a mix of the plot from Beyond Shadowgate, and Shadowgate 64. It will be close to the Beyond Shadowgate they originally wanted to make.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »
I don't know how I feel about it.  It seems to be mostly bickering between old school adventure fans and tell tale adventure fans, and then some other adventure game fans that have not really taken a side.  The issue is that the "controversy" is between the adventure game community.  This is the same community that typically wont pay more than $10 for a GOOD game, and even then, they wait for a sale.  This is the community that has proven time and time again that there is no reason for large companies to pursue games in the genre.  That is why we only get Tell Tale style games.  And even then, those game release at a price of $30 on XBOX One and PS4 and quickly fall to $10-$15.  The adventure game community doesn't actually support adventure games when it comes to what matters most to the companies making them; their wallets.  At the end of the day, the only way we will ever get new games using the old IPs is to make them for a new audience which means they CANNOT be traditional adventures.  It is a sad reality, but the adventure game community has helped cerate the problem.

Quoted for truth. Don't forget they'll pay hundreds for a boxed copy of a game they can buy on GoG for $5.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:02 AM »
Quoted for truth. Don't forget they'll pay hundreds for a boxed copy of a game they can buy on GoG for $5.

Oh God.  Don't get me started on the collectors.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 03:55:46 AM »
Anyone who actually WANTS to pay for a copy of EcoQuest is a moron. :)

Have at it.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 04:04:49 AM »
you mean the hard copy?
the german hard copy?
the russian odd hard copy?

which one hehe

I know a mate who has them all :P but me nah id not pay for that
im more a freddi fish guy, so is... my daughter :(

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 04:05:59 AM »
you mean the hard copy?
the german hard copy?
the russian odd hard copy?

which one hehe

I know a mate who has them all :P but me nah id not pay for that
im more a freddi fish guy, so is... my daughter :(

Btw im a huge collector, and thats one reason I backed this game :) so dont dog the collectors! I just love swag I cant help it! Ill end up like the creatures in labyrinth with the packs of junk piled half mile high on their backs

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2014, 05:21:00 AM »
I sold orgave away my boxed collection of Sierra games. or tossed the boxes in the trash in past, after upgrading to the CD collections. Really I didn't want to be held down by so many boxes, as I've always wanted to travel in my life...

Digital copies make me happy!, and PDF scans of manuals and the like!