Author Topic: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser  (Read 25112 times)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Gentlemen's "King's Quest" teaser
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 03:04:21 AM »
Shit folks, I am old time gamer.  If they make a cool and decent adventure game then i am happy. However i am pretty sure they (the developer), will screw it up as was done with Moe.  Old fucks like myself want an adventure game, not a first person 3d mess Period!  Just my 2 cents.... :)    Chadly
**********Chadly*********************

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 04:07:33 AM »
Again I wouldnt mind if this was a game INSPIRED by KQ but not with the title.
Then one could phase out that this is just a platformed bloated sold out pos made for console consumers mainly not even the original pc users that made the company popular !

grrr
you do know its a pc port not even coded FOR pc gfx etc, and consoles no matter how new are only about mid range pc lvl  even the beefy ps4  (its about = to a mid level pc)

anyway, to many games are coming this xmas etc even on xbox making both look good I just wont buy into that as it costs annual fees to even play and they never include backwards compatibility  only streaming and when you own so many games, buying them again is just insane.

KQ new = ported to pc, it will be wonky unless you have a console, I BET it wont feel nor work nor look as good, just as all the other ports shown off don't look good on pc (watchdogs Ill mention AGAIN) looked great in demo and at e3 but the consoles couldn't keep up with the gfx so they watered it down and somehow forgot, to beef it back up for pc consumers. No wait they didn't forget !  there was a huge article on the WHY they didn't re code it for pc for better gfx, it was due to the riots that would occur due to console consumers going "why does this look and play so much better on pc!" im getting a pc!
not a console!

anyway tons of exclusive titles are coming for poo xbox that even makes me want one, ps4 has been out selling and out classing xbox but, both are great minus the kinetic v2 and xboxs lame launch of selling it as a home theater more than a gaming console. (that was prolly their biggest mistake)
but I digress, point is SOO many other and better games are coming, (even the guy handing the award out is making uncharted (god I wish they would make those for pc)
and now tomb raider is xbox elusive, grr. Next console to make a real mechwarrior game IM GETTING
dont care what it is!

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 04:08:53 AM »
Shit folks, I am old time gamer.  If they make a cool and decent adventure game then i am happy. However i am pretty sure they (the developer), will screw it up as was done with Moe.  Old fucks like myself want an adventure game, not a first person 3d mess Period!  Just my 2 cents.... :)    Chadly
sorry I know ttg has been kinda off the mark of late
but id rather they have done KQ as they were going to. It really hurt them to get their legs cut from under them
they had really made almost 2 episodes in storyboards and arts etc, and writing. Kim worked hard.. so did david.. sad really but oh well such is the way of the console kids.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 04:22:11 AM »
RPG Codex's thread on the new KQ is a hilarious read.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/new-kings-quest-game-by-the-odd-gentlemen-aka-sierra-reloaded-massive-decline-everything-is-shit.95074/page-6

Also, they explicitly made a point of moving it out of their Adventure Gaming subforum and into their General Gaming forum after the reveal trailer dropped.  hahaha
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 05:00:01 AM »
ty for that link and again
No sir, I dont like it, I dont like it at all.

Sigh. still I will say ken and roberta do look good for.. how, ahem young they are :)

I miss my old talks with them sigh aww the good ole days
great peoples truly, sad to see them go this route just to pitch to the new crowd. I believe in the end it will be another forgotten KQ game (kq wiki removed most of the fan based games, even kq silver lining was removed and given a separate page. Shrug, but I know way to much about this topic, so it hurts even more

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 07:40:27 AM »
Again I wouldnt mind if this was a game INSPIRED by KQ but not with the title.

That could be any adventure game that came after KQ.

This new game is using the characters, story and world of the original game.  It is KQ, not some inspired spin off.  This isn't taking a supporting character and giving them their own game.  It is Graham, it is Daventry, it is KQ.

When books are made into movies, they keep the title.  Sometimes they do a fantastic job (Lord of the Rings), and sometimes they don't (The Hobbit - up for debate, but I think it is terrible).  In making movies based on books or comics, changes get made to the characters, the story, etc.  But at the end of the day, the book and the movie are two different ways of telling the same story.  Typically, people like whichever they read/see first more than the other one.I believe it is possible for both to be excellent.  It doesn't have to be one or the other.  The same MIGHT be true for KQ.  It is possible that the new game, although different in mechanics can in fact tell the same story in a new way that works.  And, if we want the stories to live on, as Shawn said, a newer audience must be created.  The game has to work for them, not just adventure game purists.  As I mentioned earlier, if a new game draws them in and sparks an interest in the story and the original games, it can't be bad for the games.  We may never have another classic point and click KQ adventure, and that is sad, but that doesn't make the new KQ game terrible or wrong or anything else.  I will wait and see.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
You know, I just don't know.  The trailer has some nice graphics, but it's iffy on gameplay.  So we'll see.

All I know is that if, say, we were given a proper budget and tools - I know we could create an adventure game with appeal and a graphical style that would be considered modern.   Many of us ARE gamers who play games of today, who could make an adventure game that is interactive, and action-packed, without being full of QTEs

I could see a Quest For Infamy in the future like that, sure.  If this new game is full of platforming action, QTEs and limited non-story related puzzles... I'll be disappointed.  If it can manage a blend of action, adventure, excitements and complex, thought based and story based puzzles, I'll be delighted.

And, if it sucks, we just work harder to continue making awesome games ourselves in the future. 

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »
That may be my number one thing that I am hoping for.  I hope that the story is told through game play and not just cut scenes.

As for QTEs, I don't think I have ever liked them at all.  If it ends up being full of them, I will also be disappointed.  Like I said, I just want a good game at this point.  Other than that, I have no expectations.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
@chucklas  sorry I dont think I was getting my point across to well in posts, so I wont try anymore. Not to be rude just you seem to feel really strongly about just not prejudging and that doesnt work in my realm or really the real world. But if thats how you think thats cool to me, but you kinda are preaching.
I see it one way, lambo seems to agree, so do those forums he linked.
you see it your way and prolly the way lots see it too
then there is the buy anything band which I dont think any of us are here :)

but in terms of what i meant about KQ not being KQ, it IS KQ, my comment was half tongue in cheek in saying that THATS not KQ, its a platformer! not.. thats not KQ at all.
Again making it  the adventures of so and so, would be to me far more appropriate given the drastic change but I didnt make that call, so we will see.

But again, I didnt mean its not KQ literally, more like ITS NOT KQ! ahhh as in sad its not a a point n click, and again I know way to much back history, and such I wont mention again. Stuff im sure you arent aware of, even if you were I dont think it would change your paradigm and it shouldnt!

but I really just mean.. awww noooo thats not KQ .. someone hang me pls ive seen the death of one of my fav game series now more than once

that kinda thing..
The ken/roberta having nothing to do with it was not mixed in with the "this is not a kq" mentality thats just me muddling posts as I always do sorry aboot that.

again I could see if this was like point n click or even like grim fandago or telltale with some platform action but again read some of those posts in lambos thread that he linked, its not just myself and he that feel this way.
this cant be kq!!
not this isnt (sorry for my bad postings!)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
That may be my number one thing that I am hoping for.  I hope that the story is told through game play and not just cut scenes.

As for QTEs, I don't think I have ever liked them at all.  If it ends up being full of them, I will also be disappointed.  Like I said, I just want a good game at this point.  Other than that, I have no expectations.
problem is if you look at the history of this publishers games, all story is told in cutscenes with only minor jokes and references to people or places in the game itself and the rest is going to be just pure  duck dodge and a bit of humor, but no I think the story will MOSTLY be told in cutscenes from all the videos ive seen.
I dislike games that do that also and it breaks the KQ code!
but who knows! it might surprise even me :)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
Then again, the first KQ (which is my favorite from an overall game perspective) had very little story.  The entire story was, "I am the king.  I am dying.  Find the 3 lost treasures and you will be king."  That was it.  Then it was an open world game to do just that.  What I loved about the game is that it was not linear, and there were multiple solutions to all puzzles.  You could do things in a more noble way if you chose (which would result in a higher score).  The points system, multiple solutions, open world and non-linear nature is what made it great.  It was not point and click, etc.  Could they make a game that includes the things that made the first game great?  You can make a console style game non-linear.  You can make a console game have multiple solutions to puzzles.  You can make a console game have different consequences based on your choices.  So, yes, it is possible. 

As for the story through cut scenes, the more I think about this, the more I realize that in the later KQ games, the story was done through cut scenes and dialog.  And to play devil's advocate, dialog can be interpreted as mini cut scenes as you are not actually playing while the characters are talking.  In KQ5 and KQ6 you didn't even get to decide what you would say either, so that makes them seem much more like cut scenes.

As for the back story of the fan remakes or the Tell Tale game, I do know quite a bit of what went on there, but that is their own problem.  Fan remakes were never sanctioned.  Tell Tale's model isn't suited for KQ either.  I am much more optimistic with the current situation (even after seeing the trailer) than I ever was with Tell Tale.  I think if Activision were the ones actually making the game, it would be doomed.  Given it is an independent company, it still has some hope.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
I am much more optimistic with the current situation (even after seeing the trailer) than I ever was with Tell Tale.

I agree here, definitely.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
The three fan remakes by AGDI were sanctioned as was TSL. A licence is a licence, regardless of whether it's a fan version or not.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
The three fan remakes by AGDI were sanctioned as was TSL. A licence is a licence, regardless of whether it's a fan version or not.

Was the license granted to AGDI before KQ3?  I thought they were only granted permission on that one.  As for TSL, it was granted after the fact.  But we are splitting hairs on that.  It doesn't really matter.  I would rather play a good fan game than a bad "official" one. But being different does not automatically mean it will be good or bad.  That's all I am really saying here.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
AGDI had permission from the first one, they weren't allowed to make more than what they'd already started on when Activision took over, but their existing licence covered KQ1-3, SQ2 and QFG2. They didn't end up doing SQ2 (although they started it.)

I'm not disagreeing with you, I also think being different doesn't automatically mean it's going to be bad.