Author Topic: What is your favorite rpg series?  (Read 9613 times)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite rpg series?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »
true on the witcher

as i sit wondering about qfg being an rpg, i still must say, its not a full rpg,
but yea id put it in that arena
I just played a bit of SYSTEM SHOCK 1 and 2, and to say those are just FPS would be a sin!
those are die hard rpgs more than they are fps's

so i do have to recant what i said  and state qfg series for SURE are RPG/advents :P

* Kaldire eats his own shoe 
aka foot in mouth
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

shmerl

• Lackey
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »
Adventure and RPG are sister genres anyway. And RPG can be rather loosely defined at times. For example classic RPGs (D&D style) usually provide an option to customize your character quite widely, while classic adventures usually have strictly predefined character to play. On the other hand some games mix these aspects in various proportions. Like already mentioned above Planescape Torment and The Witcher which have elaborate predefined characters (adventure style) but still have a lot of RPG aspects.

Out of "shooter" styled RPGs another good example is Deus Ex (which is RPG much more than a FPS). It has an interesting story which is well developed and it also offers character customization RPG-style and different choices in the game. Another interesting example is The Shadow Warrior remake. While it's a "shooter / hack-n-slash" but the story there is very good and RPG character customization elements are there too.

Ah, and I of course forgot to mention my another RPG favorite - Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
ooo the vampire series,
minus the bugs heck yea!

as for rpg, well

yes and no on the term, since any role you play, is technically role playing,
but the box of RPG, is really well defined.

as an old abandonware irc era guy, for teamrpg, I can tell you almost no advents were on there, not none just not many,
nancy drew oddly was in our rpg, and even the game HER made before that which not many know about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKenzie_%26_Co

for example, was so rare and odd, that we used to dish this one out, with Her's blessing as they didnt and couldnt sell it anymore (its many cds and extra for more characters)

for me id call ALMOST any point and click ADVENT first then rpg or its following cat,
its like saying legend of kyrandia was an rpg, yes.. you play roles, no no stats etc,
thief original 1-3 also rpg, but mostly a stealth based game imo  but yep rpg

to me the rpg lingo came around the dnd pnp era, and even before that there are odd pnp games not many will know   some will, down to shadowrun pnp!
ooo I miss playing that

with all this said id still rank all qfg in rpg arena box, but id use the advent/rpg  not rpg/advent
die hard rpgs, are really the classic get the graph paper out SSI style, then stuffs like mentioned,
arx fatalis etc all die hard rpgs, even roguelike at times
TeamRPG we were dedicated to giving the best of every rpg, with adventure irc having a diff channel than we did, same server in irc just diff channel,
and almost all point and clicks were on the advent side of the table,
I do believe qfg series only had 2 or 3 that we classified as rpg,

but then you even have games like SPELLFORCE   which is RTS,  then RPG... or like warcraft and starcraft which can be seen as rts rpgs

but for the die hard rpgs they meet certain .. criteria
good example.. is also Arcanum (another classic)

anyway, I cant again disagree that qfg is indeed rpg on some if not most lvls but in this humble writer and gamers eyes its an adventure before its an rpg,
some qfg have more rpg than others , say modern wise, heroines quest has more rpg qualities than qfi,
though i did prefer qfi.

still I miss that old team, but these days most of the games are comin back so we would have been contacted and told to stop hosting stuff, im sure.
and we would never want to upset devs or pubs, or ip holders etc
we just kept the past alive  .. was our motto btw :P

again when i think rpg my first thought is rolling stats, dice games, etc as in the in game uses a die based combat etc..
but yep now adays the lines are blurred

oh lets please  again not forget the lands of lore series all the way up until  guardians of destiny!
great games  esp the guardians fmv style i just loved it..

all I can also say is this
we have come to an era , where most want a true role to play! vs the mindless shooters (not that those arent fun from time to time)
but is borderlands an rpg?  well yes... and no..
id call that an fps, with rpg elements and trees, as no stats exist 
some would argue that point but please dont :P
just pointing out that games even fps now have the role playing element..
have since well long time but only now becoming popular the last 5 or so years
is gta an rpg? well.. no and yes

again no stats...

now want a die hard rpg that IS an fps?
BOILING POINT road to hell!!
buggy as hell, lol but this is a game where when you drink you get drinkin stats, each time u fire a gun that  gun stat raises, each time u hit with that gun in a crit area, it raises the special hit stat,
you can jump it raises, driving raises , talking etc..
thats a game i wish someone would make a 3rd one of and do it right!

check out that game series if you havent!
the boiling point rocks

TEAMRPG i misss yoooooooouu

and if anyone has that mckinzie and co! let me know  because you are a true nerd! and thats wondrous,
I never found anyone but 1 guy with the originals, and again its like 9 cds in the end after expansion,
its what started nancy drew (dont hate !  I love nancy drew series haha)

back to the point, as im sipping my espresso... :) 
if all an an rpg is, is that you play a role, then even call of duty  SPIT, is an rpg, and thats just not true,
soo there has to be a box now even still..
and yep imo qfg and qfi falls into that box, but just barely :P vs the SSI old school die roll for 10 hours for that perfect character

Oh dark sun series where no metal exists... hoooah
and are text based also rpg? ehhh
the lines have indeed blurred over the years,
:)
just so many many great games out lately or coming, I LOVE THIS ERA FOR THAT!
and again this publisher POS (nice acronym)  plinkerton did really a wonderous job with GK1, but it was made a bit to simple to bring in the more modern kid crowd as well as the old school gamer, still imo nothing beats the original esp the voice casting :P even though as jane said they used Telltales voice casting company , i forgot the name of em

oh no more espresso kal you've been cut off.
* Kaldire What?! its only 6:31am I got a job to dooooooooo
barkeep: ok just one more but no booze in it this time :)

ahem
* Kaldire coughs  *ROHEM...  ROOOHEM...
barkeep: are you saying rohem?!
* Kaldire no i was just clearing my throat.
"spaceballs mini quote there"

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"