Author Topic: QFG 4.5 Discussion Part XVIII  (Read 64725 times)

garr

• Villain
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
Re: QFG 4.5 Discussion Part XVIII
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
Back to qfg5. After getting it properly installed on w7 64 bit and running ok, noticed the game exe for starting the game was "Quest For Glory 5.exe"
The original AFG5.exe was in the newly installed directory and it too works and it is the 1.0.0.2 version.
The Quest For Glory 5.exe says 1.1, so does that fix the issues that the 1.0.0.2 fixed? Guess I'll find out when encountering the glitches that were previously fixed.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
im not sure but i believe thats an installer update not a game one

but i do know there were a few unsuccessful patches on that game
a few things were fixed and more broke etc

if you have the gog installer as my brother does there are 2 vers (old vs new)
one is like 1.0.0.19 other 1.0.1.30
have to check my vers of the patched retail vs the gog vers exe's

i know of one bug with the gate of hell guard that was fixed for sure.. urm forget what it even was now it was so long ago

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

garr

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »
I'll just apply the 1.2 and see what happens :o
If that screws it up, heck, just install it again and forget about the separate update.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: Re: QFG 4.5 Discussion Part XVIII
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
Graphics aren't as good as a regular windows installed game, but still pretty good.

It is the same graphics as the original Any differences you might notice have more to do with the differences between your current system than the one you had when the game was new. Perhaps you had a smaller monitor back then?

The "Quest For Glory 5.exe" is just a launcher I wrote and included for a number of reasons including to use a higher res icon without further editing the game's main EXE even more than what I already had.

As to the GOG package, it is nearly the same as what you will get using my installers since I was the one who designed their QfG package. And like my QfG5 installer, it includes my fix for the QuickTime lockups.

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
??
what kinda comment is that collector!!

me wants!

i mean i can get it to run but hey! if you can build it... we will .. come?

I only said it since there were no replies to my offer. I don't care enough for the game to do an installer if there is no demand. Either way I am fine.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
sounds like a snobbish troll post mate!

id like one...

as ive said

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: QFG 4.5 Discussion Part XVIII
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
Graphics aren't as good as a regular windows installed game, but still pretty good.

It is the same graphics as the original Any differences you might notice have more to do with the differences between your current system than the one you had when the game was new. Perhaps you had a smaller monitor back then?

The "Quest For Glory 5.exe" is just a launcher I wrote and included for a number of reasons including to use a higher res icon without further editing the game's main EXE even more than what I already had.

As to the GOG package, it is nearly the same as what you will get using my installers since I was the one who designed their QfG package. And like my QfG5 installer, it includes my fix for the QuickTime lockups.

yea the gog package has changed since its first release.. so
there has been 2 versions at least.. maybe 3
one had no fixes just patches the other has the fixes as you pointed out

as for it looking different, well, not sure if he is using the cds
if its the gog, the reason might be a change in the configs, res etc, anything can effect it.. but not much
its like setting the res for QFI to the 320.. it doesnt change the graphics any worse or better the higher you go..

just helps with some monitors esp some bad installers (not qfi) which leave the res set after exiting to desktop
or the dreaded alt tab to windows sometimes sticks in that low arse res lol

i think i love gog, just wish steam would go down and gog would do like medals and trading cards too but that requires online stuff and that defeats the point of drm free gog gamin!

gawwd on a side note, i cant find a tex murphy tesla effect box anywhere, damned me for missing that kickstart, even chris said he didnt have a spare.. grr arrrggh

garr

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »
I found my CD version of QFG4. Installed dosbox on both win7/64bit and winxp/32 bit and installed the game CDless. The game looks so much better on 32 bit vs 64 bit. And on 64 bit the mouse is very sensitive. Guess I could slow it down somewhat. Anyhow, even though QFG5 has an exported paladin from QFG4, thought I'd play through QFG4 and export as paladin and compare it to what is on the QFG5 disk.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »
its about disabling cores and acceleration of mouse and gfx mate.. thats really the only diff

you should learn to do that if you plan on playing other old games that require it :P

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
I found my CD version of QFG4. Installed dosbox on both win7/64bit and winxp/32 bit and installed the game CDless. The game looks so much better on 32 bit vs 64 bit. And on 64 bit the mouse is very sensitive. Guess I could slow it down somewhat. Anyhow, even though QFG5 has an exported paladin from QFG4, thought I'd play through QFG4 and export as paladin and compare it to what is on the QFG5 disk.

Just use the new installers http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#Q

garr

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
Got that taken care of.

Many years ago, when playing QFG4, didn't realize the 3 guys sitting in the Inn at night are characterizations of a very fat Jack Nicholson, an emaciated Rodney Dangerfield, and Royal Dano. Quite amusing to hear them talk!

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »
Got that taken care of.

Many years ago, when playing QFG4, didn't realize the 3 guys sitting in the Inn at night are characterizations of a very fat Jack Nicholson, an emaciated Rodney Dangerfield, and Royal Dano. Quite amusing to hear them talk!

+1, I love those guys. Never thought of them as such characterizations though, but you could be on to something.  ;)
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

garr

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »
Recently found Centaur's page, at the SHP site, on hex editing items in QFG5 save games, and furnished all the item codes. He or she, only knew about changing an existing item to something else, and stated they had yet to figure how to add new items. Following is how to do it:

A starting character has 200 gold in inventory; 47 8B 01 00 C8 followed by 11 bytes of 00's (I consider a byte as 00).
Then the next item following the same pattern. After all items in inventory, there's a series of 47 8B 01 00 FA 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 47 8B 01 00 FA and so on. To add the Magic Axe, change the 47 8B to 07 8B and change the FA to 01, then replace the 02 with 00. The following 7 bytes (00 00 00 00 00 00 00) are ok. Then the next 47 8B sequence to change for another item.

Strange nobody ever made a save game editor for QFG5 ::)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
whats up with you and hex editing

lol

i mean its a point n click advent,...

shrug..

garr

• Villain