Author Topic: Fair warning about editing a QFI save  (Read 2774 times)

garr

• Villain
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
Fair warning about editing a QFI save
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
I wanted to see what would happen, while playing as a Sorcerer, if all stats were set to 200 even infamy. After accessing the swamp, when I tried to go north to the sewer grate, I suddenly appeared in Tyr at the lower left headquarters, but I was off screen. The door guard came and fought, then the game crashed with a message saying the Save wasn't in the correct location!

So advice is, NEVER EVER edit your save file ! ! !

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
Re: Fair warning about editing a QFI save
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
HAHA!!  Awesome.  And yes, we cannot be held accountable for edited files.  If you do edit a file, and your game crashes, we can't fix that.

This includes, but is not limited to editing save files, but also the other .dat files the game creates that are used to keep track of other information that cannot be contained in a save file.  For example, playTime.dat keeps track of how long you have played the game total (not just a single game).  In order to do this, we cannot let you restore and have the playtime go back to what it was when you save.  This means we have to keep that time on a separate file and load it every time you start/restore a game.  If you edit the file, it may not read back correctly and make it so you cannot play the game at all.  The simple fix if that were to happen would be to delete that file, but you would lose the information contained therein and your time played would reset to 0.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
AGS doesn't create the save files in a logical way, it's easy to break something.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

garr

• Villain
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
Not doing anything wrong and no editing, playing as a rogue, teleporting into the south woods, instead of showing up at the three hunters, I appear 2 or 3 screens west of there in the south woods!