Author Topic: Hardcore Style- anyone else in?  (Read 4777 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Hardcore Style- anyone else in?
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »
"Hey guys, defeat the Evil Demon Queen thingey by putting the rat's tail into the flaming stone and reciting the dagger chant and you win!"

Oh yeah?

Screw all you "hints" people, I'm playing this hardcore-style!

Oh yeah- the way it was done BEFORE the internet!

Internet ruined adventure gaming!  All the answers are now right before you at the click of a button on the heavy-mouth-breathing of some neckbeard's youtube commentary video.

Well not me!  I'm sick of not exploring adventure games as much and always getting hints cause of the internet!  I remember when you had to go to a store and buy an expensive hintbook, or call a number your parents bitched about everytime because it was 1-900 in order to get hints! 

Why buy a damned puzzle just to look up the answers to it?

So... is anyone else in for Hardcore Style?  I know I am!  Post here if you are and if you do play this game, post about it when you win it. (or at least tell us how far you got before chickening out and listening to some neckbeard on YT with heavy breathing explain the answers to whatever puzzle ultimately got you)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore Style- anyone else in?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »
Dammit, I was so busy being hardcore I posted this in the wrong forum.  Please move it mods, thanks.  8)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »
Scan in your hand drawn map mate! I'd love to see it, and I assume you're playing it old-school like that!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Rocier

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:00:21 AM »
Its oh so satisfying to complete something by yourself. But i'll only bang my head in frustration for so long. You know what happend to me and my brother playing the first space quest 25 years ago when we got stuck? NOTHING. That was the end of space quest!

Some games are more intuitive than others as well. I have no idea how anyone completed the original kings quest without the net. Or simons quest (watch the angry video game nerd episode). Intuition is relative, and some things will simply never occur to some people. I remember having to make a gas mask in phreddy pharkus phrontier pharmacist. I was like 12. I had no idea how to make that or that charcoal was a good filter. It would NEVER occur to me. So ya, i'd rather finish a game when something like that happens.

Or pixel hunting. Glad those days are over.

janx

• Recruit
  • Liked: 27
  • Legends Never Sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:52:09 AM »
I kicked the Hint Book campaign. Mostly for 2 reasons.

* Despite 20 years of playing these games, I still suck at them.
* I wanted the hoodie.

I will be as 'hardcore' as Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, opposed to the Black Flag hardcore effort Bad2DaBone is going for.
"Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit.
No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit.
For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die.
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit"

7legion77

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
Actually, I was able to solve the entire game on my own. Wasn't nearly as difficult as some of the older Sierra titles.
The one thing I had to look up was finding the brain for the necromancer...
Spoiler (hover to show)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Re: Hardcore Style- anyone else in?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
Actually, I was able to solve the entire game on my own. Wasn't nearly as difficult as some of the older Sierra titles.
The one thing I had to look up was finding the brain for the necromancer...
Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
ah the days of sierra hint line phone bills,
then kids would call me and my twin bro for the hints so they didnt have to pay

just know, sierra added hint books to almost EVERY game, thats just how hard some were

dave grossman, states that he hates inv systems where you have to or even can combine items at all to solve anything,
me i like it, but I see his view but playing his games, not sure how to take that since he required it

so games like LA's sam n max you had to combine insane stuff, IE, just click everyything onnnn everyyything.. to see what happened

seems IQS seems to not like combining items also, at least not to that vast degree,
also most again old advents tossed in items that were useless justttt to throw ya off

so did westwood studios

ahh now thats one i used to map out long times ago
lands of lore
ahh

then the 3d version which i loved.. fmv style (what engine was that.. hmm) kq mask should have used the same engine,  as GUARDIANS OF DESTINY, another great title imo,  the 2nd  3d game, blew arse buuut
 that first one rocked..

hard...

have my graph paper still from infocom days also where no precious graphics where there to help ya! muhahah

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"