Author Topic: Sega Saturn Emulator  (Read 8932 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Sega Saturn Emulator
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Does anyone know how to get a Sega Saturn Emulator to work?

I've tried countless times but I never can set it up right...  I really need an idiot's guide for this, cause I'm terrible with all the directions. (sega gen and snes are easier to set up)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn Emulator
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
I'm not 100% sure on forum guidelines here about emulators...etc. but I can say, google can be your best friend.  Also, is there anything on the Sega Saturn worth emulating?  ???
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »
Talking about emulators is fine - It's the ROMs that are the gray area, so I'd keep those links out of here. Talk to each other personally about that.

Emulation is actually a great and interesting way to preserve the mechanics of past machines - what they have done with MAME is nothing short of amazing.  I think that really helps preserve the legacy of some of those machines who are over 30 years old now from completely fading away.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »
I'm not 100% sure on forum guidelines here about emulators...etc. but I can say, google can be your best friend.  Also, is there anything on the Sega Saturn worth emulating?  ???

Dragon Force.  It's considered the "gem" of the system.  An epic rpg army simulator...  I think some of the army choices are "evil" or "bad" so this might be of some interest to the Infamous team. :P

Anyway, no need to link me to any roms but, if anyone can figure out how to get the emulator to work and explain it that'd be awesome!  ;D

I recently broke some of my old Sega CD games by accident (Monkey Island, NOOOOO!) and most of my Sega CD systems are broke so, there's a good reason why emulators are important!  (ie, most of this stuff breaks down/gets lost over time)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »
Talking about emulators is fine - It's the ROMs that are the gray area, so I'd keep those links out of here. Talk to each other personally about that.

Emulation is actually a great and interesting way to preserve the mechanics of past machines - what they have done with MAME is nothing short of amazing.  I think that really helps preserve the legacy of some of those machines who are over 30 years old now from completely fading away.

Bt

Yeah steve...you know how i feel about MAME.  ;)
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »

Yeah steve...you know how i feel about MAME.  ;)

Yeah, but the rest of don't!

Fess up, Chucklas!   >:(

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
I somehow convinced the wife to let me build a MAME cabinet in my house!  A couple thousand dollars later, it will be the cause of any delays in QFI production.  So, I love it, but the rest of you probably don't!   ;D

My kids love it too!

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
I somehow convinced the wife to let me build a MAME cabinet in my house!  A couple thousand dollars later, it will be the cause of any delays in QFI production.  So, I love it, but the rest of you probably don't!   ;D

My kids love it too!

That's just awesome -- I'd love to be able to play the old games on original controllers...

What version of MAME are you running?  I just discovered MAME in 2000 right before there was a big crackdown on ROMs.  Since then, MAME has changed the way it numbers its version, so I'm not sure what ROMs work with which MAME version(s)...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »
Is that Turtles in Time??
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
That is is, Lambo.  That it is.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
I am running MAME 1.49 (The most up to date version).  And yes, my 5 year old loves the button mashing games because I can just load him up with 100+ credits and he can play the whole game.  And yes, Turtles in time.  Nice catch.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »
I am running MAME 1.49 (The most up to date version).  And yes, my 5 year old loves the button mashing games because I can just load him up with 100+ credits and he can play the whole game.  And yes, Turtles in time.  Nice catch.

I'm running MAME 0.37b9 for Win32 from Nov 2000.  I'll have to look into the newer versions...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »
Awesome.  I didn't realize Turtles in Time was ever in arcades.  I have still pop the SNES version in from time to time.  Great game.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »

I had a Mame once.... for about a week.  My brother made it, not me, or I could probably set up a Sega Saturn emulator with 1000 games in less than an hour.

Word of advice- try playing games with like "$5 in quarters".  You play differently with limited lives than you do with infinite... makes things more exciting that way.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »

Word of advice- try playing games with like "$5 in quarters".  You play differently with limited lives than you do with infinite... makes things more exciting that way.

Somehow I don't think Chucklas's 5-year-old is quite ready for that level of gameplay just yet...   ;)