Author Topic: Trouble starting the game  (Read 2878 times)

ilford

Trouble starting the game
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
I have a problem.
I cannot get the game started. I just get a black screen with the text "out of range".
I can hear music though.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: Trouble starting the game
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Did you try the setup tool to change the graphics settings?

Furfle

• Recruit
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:48:23 AM »
How do I change the setting from direct 3d to direct draw can't figure it out win7 home prem 64 bit

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »
How do I change the setting from direct 3d to direct draw can't figure it out win7 home prem 64 bit

Go to the game directory and run the file called winsetupQFI.exe.

If you want to play around with a few more advanced options, use the regular winsetup.exe file - this is the more advanced version, and this has options for Direct3D and DirectDraw.

You can adjust several graphics options there.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
I have a problem.
I cannot get the game started. I just get a black screen with the text "out of range".
I can hear music though.

Hi ilford--try re-installing the game to a directory other than Program Files.  On some versions of Windows, the Program Files directory is considered "protected" and seems to conflict with the way our game engine stores data.  This has been causing some players to experience issues getting the game to run.  If you reinstall to a different directory, or right-click the game file and choose to run as Admin, it may fix this issue.

If that doesn't work--could you upload a screenshot that shows the error message so we can see exactly when in the start-up process it's happening?  It'd help us narrow down what the problem might be so we can better help you.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.