Author Topic: Favorite Fantasy Movies  (Read 14871 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Favorite Fantasy Movies
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »
Well, I grew up in the early 80's, when there was a big resurgance in Fantasy movies - of all kinds, from sword and sandals to sci-fi.  Some of my favorites?

The Beastmaster

Dune (1984)

The Last Starfighter

Tron

Heavy Metal

and what I'm currently watching at the moment, Conan The Barbarian (1982).

I was definitly a big fan of that late 70's/early 80's Fantasy and SciFi ride... it was an interesting time in movie technology.  Though when viewed today, the special effects are primative, they were making massive leaps back then.

So, what are some of your favorite fantasy/sci-fi films?
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
Re: Favorite Fantasy Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
As much as I enjoyed classics like Princess Bride and Willow I find myself favoring more modern fantasy films. Though Brazil is one of my favorites if you can count that one. Fantasy is such a broad genre you can generally go as far as any film that challenges reality. Though if we're looking at typical fantasy movies with swords, creatures and supernatural occurances I have many faves.

I love Stardust. Think it's a great story, memorable characters and it's funny. Haven't read the Neil Gaiman novel but it's on my to-do list.

Pan's Labyrinth is also damned good. Love the setting, storyline and how the dark elements. A fairytale for adults as they say.

And as for animated fantasies I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli works from Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »
I'm sure it's cliche, but I can honestly say that no fantasy movie has gotten me as emotionally invested as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.

If we're talking classic fantasy, I'd say the original Clash of the Titans has always been a favorite of mine.  Also, the movie Flight of the Navigator was always one of my favorites as a kid.  Great 80s sci-fi schlock right there.

And Labyrinth!  How could I forget that?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
Aside from the obvious "biggies" from the 1980s (Star Wars / Star Trek / Indiana Jones / Back To The Future / Ghostbusters / RoboCop)...

Excalibur (1981)
Mad Max 2 / The Road Warrior (1981)
Time Bandits (1981, Terry Gilliam)

Blade Runner (1982)
The Dark Crystal (1982)
TRON (1982)

Brazil (1984, Terry Gilliam)
The Last Starfighter (1984)

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

Big Trouble In Little China (1986)
Highlander (1986)

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988, Terry Gilliam)

(Sorry for skewing more Sci-Fi -- it's what I like!)

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
Haha, don't judge me but I was a huge fan of The Neverending Story...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

Uh oh.  Prepare to incur Blackthorne's wrath.  He HATES Neverending Story.  Ruined his childhood.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »

Uh oh.  Prepare to incur Blackthorne's wrath.  He HATES Neverending Story.  Ruined his childhood.

:o

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
Labyrinth,
Dark Crystal,
Jason and the Argonauts,
Flight of dragons,
Neverending Story (deal with it, Bt),
The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe (1979 animated version),
Legend.

Broomie, read the Stardust book if you get the chance, it's even better than the film, really beautiful writing, unsurprisingly from Gaiman.  Agree with you on Pan's Labyrinth too, and in fact anything Del Toro has done, the visual style and mood of his films is incredible, dark and magical.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
I like how to train your dragon myself, though I didn't mind the original never ending story - the bits that didn't get too sappy that is.

I'm also probably one of the few who hasn't seen all the lord of the rings movies - I've tried watching the third one, but just can't do it.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »
LAMBONIUS IS MESSING WITH ALL OF YOU.

He knows I love the Neverending story.  God, I had an hours long conversation with him once about how cool the Sphinxes are at the Southern Oracle!!!

I was including Sci-Fi in this, too, Goatmeal - so no apologies!  Did I mention "Dragonslayer" or "Krull" yet? 

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
LAMBONIUS IS MESSING WITH ALL OF YOU.

He knows I love the Neverending story.  God, I had an hours long conversation with him once about how cool the Sphinxes are at the Southern Oracle!!!

Hahahaha....I win the thread.

I am a little sad that you managed to get in and comment before I got a chance to tell the story of how you were so traumatized by the giant rock creature that you developed a petrifying (see what I did there?) lifelong fear of rocks that has seriously hampered your abilities to hold down jobs and relationships.  Oh well.  There's always the next forum.

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
oh dear I'm really going to have to think now, favorite sci fi movie.

nope, to difficult I'm just going to have to say the good ones, with plot and characters that grabbed me.

not those gods rotten evil vile horrid unspeakable soul destroying monsterously insane (I'd call em aweful but that implies awe somewhere) ones where they try to wow you with special effects no matter how good.

my usual response to that technique is well that looked really cool, still wasn't worth the rest of the movie. I may be a geek but I do have standards
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

I was including Sci-Fi in this, too, Goatmeal - so no apologies!  Did I mention "Dragonslayer" or "Krull" yet? 

Bt

Arrgh!  I TOTALLY forgot Dragonslayer (1981) -- starring Peter "The Biscuit" (Ally McBeal)/"Janosz Poha" (Ghostbusters II) MacNicol -- when I was looking at my DVD list earlier today...   ::)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
I am a little sad that you managed to get in and comment before I got a chance to tell the story of how you were so traumatized by the giant rock creature that you developed a petrifying (see what I did there?) lifelong fear of rocks that has seriously hampered your abilities to hold down jobs and relationships.  Oh well.  There's always the next forum.

Unfortunately, this derailed Blackthorne's boyhood dream of becoming a world-renowned Geologist...

So which type is the most frightening for you, BT?  Igneous rock?  Metamorphic rock?  Sedimentary rock?  Easy listening adult middle-of-the-road 1970s soft rock?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
Igneous.  Just look at that scary yet smug name.  Hi.  I'm IGNEOUS rock.

Bt