Author Topic: How evil is too evil?  (Read 19085 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: How evil is too evil?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
Yes - like I say, it's not about being evil, but more about being a scoundrel.  Against the grain, against the law - against the "law" isn't always evil.  Think of Han Solo in that respect.  A smuggler, a knave... not an insane murderer.

Bt

Arrggh!  I was just going to say that -- Roehm is like Hans Solo, in that he's also a rakish scoundrel, a lovable rogue, a scruffy-looking nerf-herder, just looking out for his own best interests in this cold, harsh and lonely world...  Trusting few, taking advantage of many...

Mind you, he's Han Solo from the original 1977 "It's-Greedo-or-me-so-I'll-shoot-first" movie, not the 1997 "Greedo-shoots-first-therefore-I-am-justified-by-defending-myself-(see-I'm-not-such-a-bad-guy-after-all---just-you-wait-and-see!)" Special Edition.

I know it's been discussed to death elsewhere (here I am bringing it up after almost 16 years(!)), but Han was an "unknown quantity" as far as his true motivations and loyalties throughout the 1977 movie -- that's what made him such an interesting character.  For the 1997 Special Edition, his "innate goodness" was ret-conned in that one scene, telegraphing his "basic decency" a mile away for the rest of the movie.

It comes down to 1977's "choice" (Han actively chooses to fire first) versus 1997's "no choice" (Han reacts to defend himself).  It did a disservice to his character arc just to make the scene more palatable for the the "kiddie" sensibilities...

Sslaxx

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • Sslaxx
    • https://twitter.com/Sslaxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
Well, looking at the prequels...

But it'd be interesting to know how good is too good, too. I doubt Roehm is ever going to be a knight in shining armour, somehow, but if you wanted to, how "good" could you play him?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
Heh - there's definite leeway to play him up and down a little.  Some actions you choose may be more "infamous" than others.  He's definitely not evil and in "The fru-its of the dev-il.... eeeeevil."

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »
I think Cirque de Zale did it quite well, albeit a rather short game, where the character is not directly out to cause mischief but also has no desire to be a hero.  He is quite reluctant to go off and do good for the people he meets, he's just out for himself and accidentally helps people anyway.  Additionally in our game, what's in the character's best interests will probably involve intentionally helping some people since making allies is the best way to build yourself up to a strong position and gain power.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »
Ah, man!  Cique de Zale!  I LOVE that game!!!!  Wow... can't believe that came out almost 10 years ago now...

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
Perhaps you could kill whoever you wanted but it would have to result in a death or a restore. Why? Because that character may have been important to the story to complete the game and by killing him or burning down his house you would have in fact made it impossible to finish the game.
Or perhaps a justifiable dead end. If a player is going to be childish enough to go around slaughtering everything that moves, let them move on to a brainless FPS or pay the consequences of an unwinnable game.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »
Yeah, which is why you can smash the door to Rayford's house, or kill the Blacksmith - but it ends the game! 

Bt

Sslaxx

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • Sslaxx
    • https://twitter.com/Sslaxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
Perhaps you could kill whoever you wanted but it would have to result in a death or a restore. Why? Because that character may have been important to the story to complete the game and by killing him or burning down his house you would have in fact made it impossible to finish the game.
Or perhaps a justifiable dead end. If a player is going to be childish enough to go around slaughtering everything that moves, let them move on to a brainless FPS or pay the consequences of an unwinnable game.
Or perhaps:

Quote from: Morrowind
With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna mention Morrowind too, Stuart. I've accidentally killed loads of side quest dudes because my personality stat was so high by the end that no one ever attacked me. Couldn't tell who the baddies were coz I'd walk into a cave and all the bandits would like "HEY BRO!" so I just killed everyone.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 11:34:01 PM »
Does he have to be evil. You could possibly play him as just some innocent guy merely trying to take over the world to make it a better place. Ok a better place for himself maybe but still a better place. Actually taking over the world sounds like too much work, maybe just the kingdom or the town.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 06:34:35 AM »
Mr Roehm isn't evil, just out for himself. Evil would be boring to play. You'd kill everyone and there'd be nothing left to do!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
doesn't good only win cause evil is lazy.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
doesn't good only win cause evil is lazy.

...but evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
(to the above)

Your profile pic.....

What's that bump in his rear?  Did Roehm take a dump or something?

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »
I think its his cape