Author Topic: How to Find Blackthorne?  (Read 2067 times)

natewolfe

• Recruit
  • Liked: 4
    • View Profile
How to Find Blackthorne?
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Hi, everyone! I played through this game many times when it first came out and helped other forum users in the search to find Blackthorne, the hidden boss fight.  I still have all my old screenshots, but I recall the steps needed to fight him were very specific.  I have some of them written down, but I was wondering if anyone ever made a comprehensive guide? If not, maybe I will do it...

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: How to Find Blackthorne?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »
Back almost 6 years ago, I created a TXT file with detailed instructions on how to get to the IQ Virtual Bar and fight Blackthorne -- well, the in-game Blackthorne, not the real one (after all, he's a heck of guy!).  I also gathered/included various clues that folks had given here on the IA forums back in the day.

Even though (1.) some of these are quite obscure, with people not really knowing even where or how to look for some of the tasks/answers here in 2021, and (2.) despite the fact that the game has been out now for almost 7 years, Blackthorne and Klytos still might not be too happy if we just spilled the beans to everyone.

Who knows?  Perhaps enough time has passed that they may not have a problem with it.  If they give us the go ahead, I'll post my guide, but until then...   ;)

In fact, I think Klytos had mentioned over the last year or two that one Easter egg has still not been discovered.

natewolfe

• Recruit
  • Liked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:11:55 AM »
Would you be opposed to sharing it with me privately? I can show you the screenshots of where I got there before, but it's been 5+ years and I can't find most of my notes... I'd love to do it again!  I don't want to ruin it for anyone else it BT and company want to keep it under wraps :-)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 07:47:43 AM »
Give me a day or two -- it's certainly not polished in any way.

I'll PM you here.  :)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 02:52:32 AM »
Feel free to share it! It's been long enough!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 12:54:47 PM »
Thanks, Klytos!  You're the best!

Quest For Infamy: Guide to finding the IQ Virtual Bar (and Blackthorne fight)
Version 1.0
by Goatmeal, (c) 2015, 2021

Many thanks to the various members of the IQ forums for giving terrific hints and advice

1. Watch the entire "Prelude To Infamy" [Credits + Intro], from the opening titles to Roehm ending up outside of Volksville with Udo

- Wait until Roehm is in the player's control

- There is no indication that this step has been successfully completed

========================================

2. Enter "33203291" into the Volksville Bank ATM (# from a QFI "Bank of Volksville" Card - KS backer gift)

- The indications that this step has been successfully completed:
               * Narrator: "Thank you for being a backer of Quest for Infamy! Without you this game would not be possible.  If you were not a backer, you are a tool for taking advantage of someone else's bank card."
               * Roehm will gain [+10] Infamy Points

3. Flame the Moonshiner in the start of Act 2

- Once Act 2 starts, you now have access to the Moonshiner's area of the map
          - You need to "Use Sword on Moonshiner" with Rubbing Alcohol and Flint & Steel in your Inventory
          - Note that having the Tinderbox in your Inventory will not work -- it MUST be the Flint & Steel!

- The indication that this step has been successfully completed:
               * The Moonshiner is reduced to nothing but ashes

4a. Complete the phrase in the empty Library book in Tyr: "Those who know, will __________."

ANSWER: "Drink Me"

- You only get ONE chance to enter the correct phrase into the book, so save the game while in the Library BEFORE trying an answer
          - If you type the answer incorrectly, simply restore the game after each failed attempt

- The indication that this step has been successfully completed:
               * You are asked a symbol code question (Step 4b. below)

4b. Enter the correct sequences of symbols for the specific Confrontation Style displayed:

Fighter's Frenzy: Fight - Defend - Fight - Fight - Defend
               Mage's Mindgame: Magic - Drink - Drink - Magic - Sneak
               Chief Thief:  Confer - Drink - Sneak - Defend - Sneak
               Failed Diplomacy: Confer - Drink - Confer - Bribe - Bribe
               Devious Dirtbag:  Sneak - Drink - Confer - Bribe - Escape

_AND_ the missing sequence:

Hybrid's Harangue: Fight - Magic - Sneak - Magic - Fight

- There is no indication that this step has been successfully completed

5. The final task for the patient player:
          - Prior to this step, ensure that Roehm has previously drank something during the game (water / alcohol)

- After entering the correct Confrontation Style code (Step 4b.), a 20-minute countdown timer begins!
          - Use a stopwatch to keep track of the 20 minutes, because
                    (A.) there is no timer displayed in-game, and
                    (B.) the countdown progresses in real-time, not "game time"

- Go to the Caretaker's home in the Cemetery and stand on the Rug

- Wait out the full 20 minutes (or thereabouts - you may have to adjust game speed)
          - It's best to save the game around the ~19-minute mark; that way, you won't have to spend ~20 minutes over and over until it works

- Pee on the Rug (Use "Action/Hand" icon on Roehm while he stands on the Rug) in increasing 10-second intervals
          - If it doesn't work after the first 10 seconds, restore the game and try after 20 seconds; if not, restore and try after 30 seconds; etc.

NOTES / UNKNOWNS:

1. ORIGIN OF THE ATM CODE FROM THE BANK OF VOLKSVILLE CARD (STEP 2)

I'm uncertain where this one came from; since not everyone got this Kickstarter backer gift, it seems like Blackthorne mentioned this code in a help thread to find BT.  However, only forum members Natewolfe and Goatmeal have any searchable forum posts referring to this number, and there is no mention of who initially supplied it.

2. ORDER FOR STEPS 2 & 3

It's uncertain if there is an order requirement for Steps 2 & 3 (1-2-3-4a-4b-5 vs. 1-3-2-4a-4b-5), but I put the ATM code first since you must wait until Act 2 to get the Moonshiner.  You might even be able delay entering the code for Step 2 until you pass by Volksville during Step 5 (heading North to the Cemetery, you'll certainly have time to kill), but I've never tried it that way (1-3-4a-4b-2-5).

Chucklas (Bt's Technical Advisor, Team IQ, and Forum Level: Mastermind) offered the following in a forum post: "I will give you this much.  There are 5 things that must be done.  2 of which happen at a certain point in the game.  You cannot get there prior to act 2, but 1 thing must be done before then. One more thing, watch the intro to the game.  you will be quite relieved if you do."

So, one thing must be done before Act 2, but then he also makes a specific point that the Prelude must be watched.  That makes it sounds like _two_ things need to be done before Act 2, otherwise if watching the Prelude was the _one_ thing that must be done before Act 2, why bother to mention it twice?

Other hints from Blackthorne appear to imply that Steps 2 and 3 might be interchangeable.

3. SOURCE OF THE CONFRONTATION STYLE (STEP 4b)

In 2014, Blackthorne went back and inserted this list in a general update post from _two_ years earlier (2012) to obscure it.  However, you can find the list using keywords (Frenzy, Mindgame, Chief, Diplomacy, Dirtbag) and the forum search function.

• BT Post:  IQ News --  The Volksville Times -- Marching Towards Infamy!
          « on: September 04, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
          « Last edited: September 08, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »

http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?topic=318.msg3973#msg3973

As a contributor who made several fonts for the game, I also created the Confrontation Style codes (and why/how I know the Hybrid's Harangue!).  The "Confrontation Style" screen was intended to be throwback to the [now irrelevant] copy protection codes/symbols used in the various Sierra games back in the day, requiring you to reference a table or chart in the game's manual.  While not used here specifically for that purpose, Blackthorne instead incorporated it into the IQ Bar/Fight BT Quest -- but he left off the sequence for Hybrid's Harangue in his post!

4. TIMING FOR DRINKING LIQUID(S) (STEP 5)

Roehm must be fully hydrated to make the Big Lebowski angry.  Is it possible to abstain from drinking the entire game up to this point, and then drink something on the way to the Caretaker's home?  Or does one need to ensure that Roehm's bladder is full _prior_ to completing Steps 4a. and 4b.?

End of Guide.