Author Topic: Grim Fandango being remastered  (Read 5946 times)

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
Grim Fandango being remastered
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »
Grim Fandango is being re-mastered for release on the ps4 with other platforms being announced soon.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Grim Fandango being remastered
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
This is awesome, but I'll be a lot more excited when we get a new Indiana Jones game (that isn't crap or gets cancelled.)  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
It is awesome news. I find it interesting how quickly the adventure community has gotten used to this revival. A few years ago a thread like this would have had 100s of replies. I get that part of it is a move away from forums to social media. I just hope that the muted response isn't a sign of apathy. So many fought so long to keep the embers burning, now that they are beginning to really burn it is important that such projects get well supported.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
Grim Fandango is a great game and I'm looking forward to it.

Most people in the adventure game scene see remakes as old news. We were doing them 10 years ago, there's only so many times you can play a classic game before you want to play something new. Most of us who did the remakes used them as a training ground too, something the big companies don't need to do. Typical of corporate's though, jump onto yesterday's bandwagon and act like it's all new and exciting!

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:37:54 AM »
While the remakes may be considered "old news" my excitement for this project isn't really about the remake.

The idea of Sony wanting an exclusive with Schafer for an adventure game on their flagship console and then choosing to announce it at E3 is massive!!! To me this is the result of a fan community backing and creating remakes and then kickstarters and now we have one of the biggest companies in the world being a "great help" to re-master an adventure game.  I mean one of the headlines was "Sony hit E3 with GTA V, Unchartered 4 and Grim Fandango". That is pretty freaking cool

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »
Give me Full Throttle 2 in HD and then maybe I'll get excited.  Until then, I still own Grim Fandango.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:18 AM »
I'd be a lot more interested in a new Schafer game that Sony bankrolled.

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:24 AM »
Oh I would be way more excited about a new game. But I don't all of a sudden think remakes suck just cos they are not the "in thing".  Sure they are no longer a novelty, but Schafer doing GF and to a lesser extent Jensen doing GK is still pretty awesome.

A remake of GF is not the project I would have chosen. But rather than be negative about the fact that it is not a new game, I am excited that an adventure game is making waves on the biggest gaming stage in the world, by one of the biggest companies.

I can understand you guys who have spent years doing remakes being sick of them. For me it has only involved playing a few games that I already love.

Given that a successful remake could lead to further projects it can't be a bad thing

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:25:34 AM »
Give me Full Throttle 2 in HD and then maybe I'll get excited.  Until then, I still own Grim Fandango.

Bt

Yes but for those who don't own Grim Fandango it is a very difficult game to not only come by but to get it working on a modern machine requires so much fiddling about I was just hoping for GOG.com or somewhere to reconfigure and re-release it. This announcement just blew away my expectations and has made me very excited for this considering it's my favourite adventure game of all time. Plus, I hope it's a bigger success then it was when it originally released.

And as Rugged said with it's potential success I hope Double Fine can bring on more exciting projects such as Psychonauts 2 or another original adventure game. I really liked Broken Age and I'm looking forward to the next chapter but I felt it was missing some of the charm of the original adventure games.

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »
Just watched Tim Schafer video talking about the new Grim Fandango. Interesting when they talked about approaching Disney it was about Full Throttle and GF, they made the case to Disney that the licenses (plural) would be worth more if something was done with them. I am sure it will start off with GF being the test, however it is clear that Full Throttle is in their thinking.

I would imagine FT would need to be a new game rather than a remake, could be years away and may never happen but how cool would it be!

Sven_Q45

• Villain
  • Liked: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
What a coincidence I bought a Manny Calavera  figurine (official LA merchandise) 3 weeks ago!
And I saw it in video of Tim Schafer yesterday on his desk at Double Fine.
 8)