Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153896 times)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2015, 04:32:02 AM »
That was aimed at Lamb who made a lot of Lambo statements about it before it came out, only to have actually enjoyed the game, albeit with a few issues. Eating his own words. A big ass scoop of humble pie. He won't see it that way though! (I look forward to his response to that...)

I love it. I think they nail the graphics, the control system is great, the voices are sublime and it's a good story. The way they frame the story is excellent. I think the tone of it is a little off, but I'm willing to put that aside as Graham is only 16 in the game, so I can wait to see if they mature him as the series progresses.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2015, 04:58:47 AM »
I've never said anything I disagree with.  ;)

Honestly though, all of the issues I had with the game before playing it are still completely present and valid.  I stand by everything I've said.  The game just happens to do enough other things well that I do see it as a net positive overall.  More importantly, all of its problems are fixable problems.  Not that that means anything if they don't fix them, but the potential for a great series is there...so far.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2015, 05:58:48 AM »
Lambonius good review. You hit on many points I agree with.

The funny thing is most people who hate this new game, actually hated the old games, and their complaints about the new game, are more or less points you could level back at the original games.

Those who loved the original game, but have criticisms for this game, its more about how it doesn't necessarily have enough of the 'feel' or tone of the original games. This fully understandable, and I agree with it mostly.

However, in my 'willing suspension of disbelief', I put some of the tonal difference up to Graham's 'embellishing' the story and trying to make it funnier than it really should have been.

I'm not sure where I stand on how it rewrites Graham's backstory (instead of having been raised in Daventry he's now an outsider), Edward's queen's backstory is rearranged as well (her death caused Daventry to go downhill, and mirror was stolen some point at the time of her death or after), and rewrites generally all the events of KQ1 even (
Spoiler (hover to show)
). There was no reason to make Edward's quest for Graham only be the 'missing magic mirror' (check Gwendolyn's comments in the prologue about what the quest was, and a note board mid game, and you see only the mirror is missing, no comments about missing treasure chests, or shields).

I hope later on we aren't 'mysteriously' running into magic chest, or the shield in a post-KQ1 timeline, as futre chapters 's major MacGuffin point (all three treasures are clearly seen on the wall in Graham's bedroom). It also takes away from mystery of the dragon, when everyone in Daventry knows where the Dragon lives (its used as kind of test for the knights trying to move upwards to become the next king), and in the original backstory in KQ1 manual, no one knew where the "Sorcerer' took the mirror. There were only a few clues, and rumors. Only rumors that sorcerer controlled 'beasts'. So its part of the story that Graham discovered a dragon's lair under what was simply thought to be a well. In addition Graham can no longer swim, so the well has been made largely 'dry'.. Guess that was to avoid having to make swimming physics :p...

Another part of the changes to the backstory, Graham instead of being "Edward's favorite knight' for decades, he's now 'favorite knight' because he won a tournament (IE the tournament is not only to become  a knight, but prove oneself to become the next king as well).

Still this 'rebooted' story is still entertaining in its own way, and I'm sure some of these questions will be answered in later episodes. There are at least two areas you can discover in the game (which Graham says are forshadowing and one unlocks a trophy even). So it looks like we will at least be going back to Daventry in the next episode. But I hope we also get to expand into other lands as well.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2015, 06:02:10 AM »
it needs a proper patch i found about (no joke 20+ bugs) nothing game breaking, mostly animation issues
but again the game is beautiful but its NOT a KQ game in my eyes

Ya, I'm actually running two versions of the game PC, and PS3. I've seen strange stretching of graphics when there is a quick scene change. PS3 version locks up every now and then, requiring a hard reboot. I've seen it nearly lock up on the PC version on my computer, but usually catch up with itself after 10-20 seconds.

On a side note, here is a tip. Say there is some minor conversation choice event, you want to experience all the variations, and decide which is best for you. If you bring up the pause menu in the middle of the last part of the conversation, or at any point during the conversation as long as character is still talking, and exit to menu, you can get back to the start of the conversation tree again, and choose a different path. For some cases this might be better than simply restarting a new game to see minor differences. Of course it might still be worth seeing if some of these choices have any other impacts in the game.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
I'm willing to put that aside as Graham is only 16
Klytos I'm trying to keep track of the timeline for the game series. Is there a quote in the game where he gives his exact age?

So far I only have the prototype artwork to go with and an off hand quote in preview that suggests that its five years between prologue and the prequel. But I didn't catch anything on his age in the game itself unfortunately.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
Um, I think I read that in a twitter conversation I had with Matt Korba.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »
Cool, Klytos, if possible, I'd appreciate a link or quote. I'll use it in the timeline, as supporting evidence.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
Baggins, why don't you just tag Matt in the Sierra Gamers group on fb and ask him outright? He answers folks' questions on there all the time.  I imagine it's gonna be pretty hard for Shawn to hunt down a tweet from any longer than a day or two ago, so that might be a better solution for you.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
No.  I insist that Shawn hunt down that tweet.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19:14 PM »
lols lambo
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Jerminator

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2015, 12:02:54 AM »
Yeah I was wondering what the hold up was on that request.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2015, 04:56:46 AM »
THanks, Corrigan I'll try to give that a try as well. I don't follow or use twitter, so I don't know how it works.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2015, 05:40:09 AM »
Hello, everyone. Just noticed this this morning. Wikia is doing a King's Quest game give away on the King's Quest Omnipedia, for anyone who wants to take part. They are giving out multiple copies on  Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Please sign up, and take part if anyone is interested.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Matt_Hadick/King%27s_Quest_Giveaway

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2015, 07:00:48 AM »
this contest confuses me a bit,
where do we comment?

and what do they mean fictional ruler.. this is a bit vague

like anyone or game or someone you make up, does it need back story etc i mean not really specific.
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
I'm a bit confused to.

But, I think you reply at the bottom of Haddick's blog. There is a reply option down there.

By fictional rulers, I think they mean from any series, not just King's Quest. He uploaded a bunch of characters from many series as examples. Including Lord of the Rings, and Street Fight for example.

So you might need to upload your own picture if you don't see one you like. But basically it appears to be rulers from cartoons/anime, movies, novels, games, etc.

I'm not sure if I can take part in the contest myself, being a wiki Admin, although I'm not in charge of it. This is purely Wikia's thing.