Author Topic: A Lament for Adventure Games  (Read 9959 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
A Lament for Adventure Games
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
I'm going to lament the state of adventure games.  I know there's always some activity, but in my world... it feels dead.

We were carrying the torch for a while, but even most of the folks who used to frequent here don't any more. And I mean enthusiasts/gamers as well as team members of IQ.  Most of us have moved on.

I'll finish the games we have now, but man... I don't see much of a future here at all.  But it was a lot of fun for many years.  We did good things. Met good people. Had a great time.

Just admitting to myself that a thing I liked is pretty much over.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: A Lament for Adventure Games
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
I think the reality is that a certain type of adventure games are still made and quite successful as far as a niche market goes, but everything else is dead. If it's not post-apocalyptic / anghst filled drama, it doesn't sell. This isn't a slight at those producers, they make some great games, but there's very little variety in the genre anymore. We're not dead though Steve, at least you and I will still make games until we're both dead. I firmly believe that.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
Yeah, it seems like that - the adventure game niche is very focused on a specific kind of game or theme right now.  I guess it's just what the zeitgeist is into now, and while I enjoy those kinds of games and stories, I like a wide variety of settings, moods and stories. I guess that's why I liked Sierra Games to begin with - there was a variety of settings and places covered in their series.

I know we'll keep making games until our fingers bleed, but man... I was reading stuff from back in 2012...and it wasn't just us, but like so many people making adventure games and we were all so excited.  Only one developer from back then is still making games full time.

Bt

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 05:12:39 AM »
Dave Gilbert? The reason is he does that one genre of adventure game story that people still buy. He does them exceedingly well too, as we both know. My wheelhouse, and I know yours is too, is more sci-fi / comedy or fantasy (or a mixture of those) and anything I've seen from those genres don't seem to sell as well. Heck, if Activision couldn't sell the new KQ, I don't think fantasy adventures are a thing anymore. Yet, I still love them!

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
Sad times. :( But I'll always play whatever you guys make!

vleebershteet

• Recruit
  • Liked: 4
  • I'd hit that with my inverse tachyon beam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:09:13 PM »
Let the resurgence begin.
Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 12:46:04 AM »
Let the resurgence begin.

I hope so. But I get the feeling people won't ever like games the way we did again.  The KINDS of games, I mean. People will make "adventure" games, but they'll be radically different than the ones we grew up with.

Bt

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
    You know I wish someone would buy/license Quest for Glory and make a new game. That old series is my favorite in adventure/RPG type of games. Sadly I think it's time is long gone, with the advent of 3rd person/1st person games. I really hope someday we could get the monies needed to create Quest for infamy 2: The further adventures of Roehm. :) ;) 8)                 Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
Can I get a parser game up in this world 

what happened to the love for tass times in tone town?
oorah

hugs all
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »
Yeah, I mean - we love this stuff. But in today's world, this is super, super niche and not the mainstream game software it once was.  People like us love "parser" and retro style games, but it's funny how the larger majority of people who enjoy these games won't pay for them like they would for console games.

It's like music - people want it, but they're not gonna pay for it! Or pay much for it.

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
Who would have thought that the kind of obsessive, socially awkward weirdos who congregate to create and share Cedric memes wouldn't be big spenders in real life?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »
Who would have thought that the kind of obsessive, socially awkward weirdos who congregate to create and share Cedric memes wouldn't be big spenders in real life?

Hahah! Weird.

Yeah, I also think a lot of people who liked Sierra games in the 90s were more casual fans than hardcore gamers and that audience just isn't there now.

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 04:17:45 PM »
Yeah, I also think a lot of people who liked Sierra games in the 90s were more casual fans than hardcore gamers and that audience just isn't there now.

There was a recent thread at the Adventure Gamers forum where a guy asked how many of the forum regulars would support a new retro-styled (meaning early 90s "VGA") adventure game, and like 90% percent of the people who responded said no based on the graphical style alone.  Take that for what it's worth.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 11:56:18 PM »
Well, adventure gamers forums regulars suck, so...

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »
Personally, I take comfort in the fact that a lot of the things adventure games were known for have disseminated into a lot of other genres that are popular today. The original may be FAR diminished from what it once was, but its legacy is stronger than most.
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team