Author Topic: Shouldn't map usage pass time?  (Read 8191 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Shouldn't map usage pass time?
« on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
I'm just curious but shouldn't using the Map (Tunnel one or regular one) pass time?

It's basically like a teleportation device- even if you go from deep in the mines to the Thieves Guild, it still doesn't make any time pass in the game.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Shouldn't map usage pass time?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
I'm just curious but shouldn't using the Map (Tunnel one or regular one) pass time?

It's basically like a teleportation device- even if you go from deep in the mines to the Thieves Guild, it still doesn't make any time pass in the game.

Perhaps it allows you to travel more efficiently, since you know directly where you are going without any wandering around?   ;)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
We actually had this discussion earlier in development, but having map usage affect the passage of time created a lot of potential for bugs as well as missed plot events.  Although it's not completely realistic, it was a design choice based on the principle of KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:32 PM »
Hmm.... your explanation seems completely rational.

Though maybe the map should only be accessible at certain key areas?  The map does seem to discourage exploration by relying on it too much for convenience.  Even Skyrim did away with the "map teleport anywhere" that Oblivion had. (you have to find the area first, and can only use the map to get to key areas)

I'll admit, although I prefer this game I liked the map in HQ better since it adds more challenge and encourages more player exploration with the environment.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »
And yet a lot of people won't play an adventure game without some sort of magic map that can transport them somewhere. I personally wouldn't have it at all because in my opinion it completely ruins the flow of the game.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

miriya

• Villain
  • Liked: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Shouldn't map usage pass time?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:20 AM »
The map does seem to discourage exploration by relying on it too much for convenience.

I have to completely disagree with this.  I still felt I explored every area, and I very much appreciated the fast travel.  I can get confused with directions in-game, and I actually used the fast-travel to help keep track of where things were and explore more thoroughly.  I also hate unnecessary backtracking, and the map certainly helped prevent that.  The only place that I would have wanted another hotspot would have been closer to the swamp, but otherwise it was perfect.

Somewhat related:  As a brigand or a rogue, your mentor gives you the means to fast travel, but as a sorcerer I had to buy it.  I expect there's a way for it to be given to me, but I couldn't figure it out.  What did I miss?

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:43 AM »
Don't listen to Klytos; he's a grumpy old curmudgeon.  I love the fast travel map.  Hell, I DREW IT.  ;)

Prospero will give it to you automatically after Day 3, I believe.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

miriya

• Villain
  • Liked: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
Sure enough, you can get it on Day 4 if you haven't purchased it already.  I can see why I missed that.  It's available sooner to the brigand and rogue.  The brigand gets it handed to him on Day 2 (after certain events),  while the rogue still has to buy it, but can do so on Day 2 as well.  As a sorcerer, I had to wait until Day 3 before I could buy it, and by then it wouldn't have occurred to me to wait until Day 4 for someone to give it to me. 

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:20 AM »
I think the idea was that with the sorcerer, most players are going to be back and forth from Prospero on Days 3 and 4 collecting spell ingredients, so they'd stumble upon it naturally.

Sabin Stargem

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 04:05:36 AM »
Fast travel is best travel.  Unless there is a scenario in the game where the map would destroy tension or a plot point, it is best to let players to get around quickly.  Quest for Glory III's world map was tedious because it took a while to get around, which is undesirable.

That said, unlocking most areas after the player finds them would be for the best in my opinion, as that matches with Roehm finding and marking down places.  It is something that feels natural, which enhances immersion without detracting from the actual gameplay.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
might be fun to add a fast travel map made by an incompetent enchanter
sends you to a random place... in the future,
where you are met by small people from the movie TIME BANDITS and a face saying RETURN THE MAP!!

ahh
you die.. etc

or rip van winkle style,
use the map, fast travel turns to slow travel, and it takes you 100 years to reach just one place outside of town or something,  death instantly on usage muahaha
thats what you get for wanting to take the "easy travel" path..
*slaps self again
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »
I see the map as simply an awesome convenience for people who dislike back-tracking and "needless" walking around, but the great thing is that no one forces you to use the map of course.   Kind of like the "cheat" aspect of the combat system in the game, you don't HAVE to use it, but it's there for those who can't stand action sequences in adventure games.

I think it's just really cool that they've tried to appease the masses (although of course, you obviously can't please everyone...).   ;)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
What I like about the map is that it won't take you EVERYWHERE.  But it does allow you to move to general locations in the various corners of the land, so you can save walking a few screens here and there, and occasionally even get right where you need to go.

It definitely made testing a bit interesting, as we had to be really careful about making sure it wasn't possible to use the map and miss key plot moments, or go somewhere you weren't supposed to be able to get to yet, or map-warp out of a situation you shouldn't be able to leave, etc.  The fact that only one significant map-related bug was reported after release is actually kind of amazing.  ;)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »
aww I was only playing

esp about time bandits, common that would be hilarious,  a huge face  return the map, return what you have stolen from me..

poof back to town.. after escaping again using the map

idk im a time bandits lova'

*hugs my beta max
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

garr

• Villain
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Shouldn't map usage pass time?
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
I think the idea was that with the sorcerer, most players are going to be back and forth from Prospero on Days 3 and 4 collecting spell ingredients, so they'd stumble upon it naturally.
I talked to the guy standing by the stores and he has them for sale on day 2, I think and on day three when you're without a map.