Author Topic: What gos into making an adventre game like qfi?  (Read 19639 times)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: What gos into making an adventre game like qfi?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
I'd hesitate to call it a bug, it's certainly an exploit though. And maybe for the 1.2 build it will be tweaked a bit. Ok, it will be. I know this because I already closed those particular holes.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
I'd hesitate to call it a bug, it's certainly an exploit though. And maybe for the 1.2 build it will be tweaked a bit. Ok, it will be. I know this because I already closed those particular holes.

You're right -- it's not a "bug" in the truest sense, since it doesn't really stop the gameplay or cause a gameplay problem (graphics mess up, your stat value are negative (-) instead of positive (+), etc.).  During the subsequent discussion, I made sure to point out it is most definitely an exploit...

Almost along the lines of, "Ooops.  You did something we didn't think of or anticipate..."

On that note, since you guys have been making games for years now, how would the IQ team define what constitutes a "bug"?...

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »
Multiple legs, segmented body, antennae, creepy-crawly sensibility.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »
Multiple legs, segmented body, antennae, creepy-crawly sensibility.

Ah, then just like the original computer "bugs" back in the days of vacuum tubes and relay switches...   ;)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
On that note, since you guys have been making games for years now, how would the IQ team define what constitutes a "bug"?...

It comes down to catagorisation when talking bugs.

If something breaks the game - for example it crashes or you get into a walking dead situation when you're not supposed to. Or if the ego gets pushed onto a non-walking area. That's a game breaker. Then there's a level lower which are non-critical things like a graphic might jump a bit in one direction or another, or the wrong animation plays etc. They're not game breakers but are obvious things that need to be addressed. Then there's spelling and grammar mistakes, minor things that take a few moments to fix but still detract from the game play. I don't suppose in the strictest terms I'd call those bugs, but they do get logged in our bug tracker so maybe they are. Either way, they certainly need to be fixed.

Then there's things like this, which are just exploits. There's no issue with the game, the code and graphics are all working fine, it's really just the player doing something which the designer didn't anticipate.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 02:12:36 AM »
sadly goat the game is still broken on the early game

but no need to tell me about max lvls at start, i did it 90% of the time

if going for sorc if you max stats to 100 on all, it resets you once u become a sorc,
i didnt test it after as the clock starts tickin and time goes with food n sleep after that choice is made,
but once it is made the stats set to like mid , so like 50s vs the 100 they were. this happens even to stealth n climbing (which stealth u cant max but)
all stats adjust after picking the class, kinda odd but bt said he knew about it

GL in wales btw all who are going or gone, 
any hints at when QFI stuff is shippin? someone said they had a hint book, kinda confused now

anyway cheers goat. lemme know what you mean if i misunderstood, as again, i tested early lvling VASTLY lol
after the first patch it just started to reset stats after talking and picking path of sorc

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
No one said they had a hint book, another user was talking about their own guide.

The DVDs are still in production, they should be pressed and delivered in the next couple weeks.  The boxes came in last week - the other swag is all set.  So, in a few weeks, the first packages should start to be sent out.  I'll post an update when things start going out, for sure.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
anyway cheers goat. lemme know what you mean if i misunderstood, as again, i tested early lvling VASTLY lol
after the first patch it just started to reset stats after talking and picking path of sorc

I'm assuming that since roeadventue32 came to the forum around the time that the 1.1 version was released, that's the version he used to level up so early (taking advantage of the whole "not dying" exploit found therein)...   :)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
No one said they had a hint book, another user was talking about their own guide.

The DVDs are still in production, they should be pressed and delivered in the next couple weeks.  The boxes came in last week - the other swag is all set.  So, in a few weeks, the first packages should start to be sent out.  I'll post an update when things start going out, for sure.

Bt

ahhh now i see, was wonderin! hehe
ty mate

@Goatmeal  cheers bud didnt know about the old ver for him :)
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"