Author Topic: Game Choice / Design question  (Read 5700 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Game Choice / Design question
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
Hi, guys.

Was listening to the QFI soundtrack at work today, and a question that I've been wondering about since first playing the game hit me again:

What was the reason / decision behind trapping the Brigand and Sorcerer in Tyr at night?  The Rogue can "Magic Map" his way out, but the other two classes are essentially stuck.  (Besides forcing them to "rest" the night away until sunrise or visiting the Red Door...)

While you can get Roehm into Tyr at night, there isn't much for him to do there, especially with no Inn in Tyr.  I understand from an internal/game world logic of needing to protect the city, guarding it at night, but why in and not out?

Just wondering from a game design standpoint.  Thanks!

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Game Choice / Design question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »
You know, I don't recall off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure each class has its own way of getting out of Tyr at night.  I'll have to actually look at the game code to determine that.  It's been a while - I think I've forgotten more about QFI than most will ever know...

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »
most can leave via the rope or climbing at the water pool aqueduct area
mages just cast cloud,
u can use this to enter tyr also with a rope on the cliff side taking you down the mountain same works in reverse oddly
but climbin needs to be high
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
Just got a chance to review my old saved games and try different scenarios...

Arrrgh!  My apologies, guys -- I had forgotten the secret aqueduct entrance/exit.  BT and Kaldire are correct; BT & Klytos _did_ think of everything!

I knew the Rogue and Sorcerer could unlock the doors at the top of the aqueduct, but not the Brigand.  However, regardless of class choice, if you wait long enough, Voleris will open the door and makes her rounds up there.  This allows for entry INTO Tyr... so long as you hide from her!

Of course, getting OUT of Tyr was the trick.  Again, I knew the Rogue and Sorcerer could unlock the maintenance door next to the library, but not the Brigand.  After playing again, this remains true for the Brigand... but ONLY for the DAY & DUSK periods!

I had never tried it at Night.  During Day and Dusk, the message says it's locked.  However, at Night, you can force the door open and make your way to the top of the aqueduct!

That was my fault for not exploring more and trying more things.  However, after being denied twice (Day & Dusk), who would have thought it would have worked a third time at Night?  Perhaps a message something along the lines of the following would have been an appropriate hint/guide here for the Brigand during Day and Dusk:

Sure, you COULD break it down here and now with your mighty strength, but someone might see you!  Why don't you try again later when there are fewer people milling about?

Anyway, thanks for listening, and we can't wait for Roehm to Ruin.  I especially liked the picture you posted to Twitter last week, BT.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
I can't wait for Roehm to Ruin, either.  Though it's only a short little game, it gives me insight and hope into the future.  It would be nice to be able to make Quest for Infamy 2 someday.  If we can keep QFI interest up and keep selling it, maybe someday we can raise enough funds to produce a sequel.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
I really hope you guys get that chance.

I still really need to play QFI. I've started and explored around the first area, but not gotten heavy into anything. Same with Order of the Thorne. I do have them on my LP list for YouTube videos...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »
BT & Klytos _did_ think of everything!

Ahem...and all of the rest of us who nitpicked every aspect of the game during wave after wave of alpha and beta testing.  Pretty sure a lot of the alternate solutions were born out of various members of the team getting stuck in various areas and bitching about it incessantly.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:11:17 AM »
BT & Klytos _did_ think of everything!

Ahem...and all of the rest of us who nitpicked every aspect of the game during wave after wave of alpha and beta testing.  Pretty sure a lot of the alternate solutions were born out of various members of the team getting stuck in various areas and bitching about it incessantly.  ;)

Hahaha, this is very true. QFI was actually very well play-tested by a lot of people.  We still always found something, but a lot of game elements came from suggestions during bug-testing.  Boy, I miss that part of production.  QFI was a pretty big production.  Lots of hands on board with that one... we were all so excited.  Good times!

Bt

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
ah yes ye good ole days
feels like forever ago yet yesterday...
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"