Author Topic: Post-mortem thoughts  (Read 16741 times)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Post-mortem thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:19 AM »
I completely agree that marketting is the key. it's something we discuss quite a lot. We do a lot of targeted marketting through social media and we've done advertising through various places such as dedicated adventure game sites. But the question is where and how? It's a genuine question, I'm not being rhetorical here. The type of people who played adventure games in the 80's and 90's is a wide demographic and not easy to lock down into something like "they all visit [THIS] website or read [THIS] magazine".

With completing Roehm to Ruin and Fortress of Fire, there is not a chance in the seven levels of hell we're doing a second kickstarter for the games we've already raised capital for. The whole idea makes my skin crawl and my sack itch. It feels to me like we're ripping people off. That all said, don't despair about these two games, Roehm to Ruin is in the final stages of production and should be out in the near future (that's months, not weeks). Fortress of Fire has a pathway forward and we're working on that right now, as well as finishing up a Special Edition of Quest for Infamy. Hopefully, there's enough money made through those three products to keep going and do other things, it just won't be at the same level of production speed as we have done up to now.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
As the guy who single-handedly delayed Hero-U...

http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?topic=2084.msg30198#msg30198

...I'd hate for the same to happen to IQ if they tried taking a second bite of the old KS apple.   :-[

Ah, who am I kidding?  I'd sell my own children to help IQ.

Check back with me in about 9 months; I may have some inventory by then...

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »
Haha, yeah, the thought of doing a Kickstarter for something we already kickstarted makes my skin crawl.  Besides, that model is pretty played out for people like us.  I'm STILL mailing out packages for physical rewards, which has honestly been the biggest pain in the patoot about this whole thing.  I'd either never do physical rewards again, or I'd budget to hire a fulfillment house to assemble and package everything.  This has been a bigger pain for me than actually making the games!

That aside, yeah - the market for our games is odd.  We really tried marketing hard, and I spent, well, a lot of money on it this year and got very little results.  Our Q3 earnings, well, were beyond abysmal, really, you don't even want to know.  But there ARE people out there who want to play these games - we had a big, positive reaction and great time at PAX East.  But it seems like the cyber world is different.... I just don't know.

I'm glad we have good fans like you guys who care, and have nurtured us through the bad times.  I'll admit, I've been dealing with a lot of depression related to IQ stuff, where I feel like a huge let down.  I'm getting better, and pushing on because that's what I do.  But I just really love what we do, the games we make, the people I make games with and chatting with you fellas.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 09:52:30 PM »
I think not doing a second KS is good idea.  I don't have a big problem with second rounds of funding (games are expensive to make and KS projects generally seem to lowball the expesnses) for projects but organizing and running a successful KS is a lot of work based on all the horror stories I've heard.  If the development pace is already slow because you have less resources to go around a KS is going to stall progress and momentum on the existing projects a lot.  Which it doesn't sound like is a luxury you have at this time.

That said, I'm still rooting for IQ.  Even if things slow down I'd love to see you all continuing to make the games you want to make and play.  Hopefully you and your audience will find each other :)

(And you guys have not been a let down at all.  Even though QfI didn't have the greatest production values in the industry no one can deny the sheer amount of ambition and passion that went into that project.  And King's Challenge was a solid achievement as well.  You guys successfully delievered two (soon-ish to be 4) crowdfunded projects in less time than it's taken many other teams.  That's awesome and something to be proud of.)

Nowhere Girl

• Recruit
  • Liked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
I have another idea: revamp the game's site a little! Do you know why I only bought the game today? Because from the screenshots included on the site I thought it would be boring - cute, yes, but monotonous... The screenshots included only represent a small part of the game. You could show that it's more diverse, for example add a screenshot from the dock, a screenshot from the swamp...

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 06:11:28 AM »
Was that our IQ website or the Steam page? Just curious...

Nowhere Girl

• Recruit
  • Liked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
I meant your website, or more precisely - its "subpage" for "Order of the Thorne".