Author Topic: Quest for Glory related fan projects  (Read 41491 times)

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
Quest for Glory related fan projects
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
Hey guys! :)

Figured now that the old IA forums are slowing down now that people have moved here I should probably move my list here too as along with our old fans there are new ones here too, and new fans bring new information!

For details on what and why I made this the old thread is over at IA here, but basically I created a Quest for Glory section on my website paying tribute to the original QFG games and the great many successful and unsuccessful QFG related fan projects out there to make sure that we never forget them and that talented QFG fans are inspired to create new QFG projects in the future. To do this I created a list on the website and collected pics, vids, demos, and information for as many of them as possible.

This is my latest summary of the website list below.

http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/QFGSeries/
(Note: Originally built in 2001 this website is still deliberately very late 90s early 2000s retro in design. So if you're not nostalgic for old retro websites with music, animating gifs & left click browsing then you probably won't like it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QFG related game projects list (Updated 2/1/2017) :
- Hero-U (New series of games from QFG creators the Coles themselves)
- Quest for Glory IV 3D Project (my Hexen mod project)
- Quest for Glory 2 Remake
- Hero6
- Quest for Glory 4 1/2
- Quest for Infamy (New version of project)
- Mage's Initiation
- Heroine's Quest: The Herald Of Ragnarok (New version of project)
- Hero of Infamous Kingdoms
- Quest for Yrolg
- Betrayed Alliance
- Quest for Glory I Redux
- Quest for Glory ZZT
- Quest for 3D
- Quest for Glory I: Extended Edition
- Quest for Glory I 2.5D
- QFG6 Hero's Legend
- Grim Quest
- Heroism: The Art of De-Fence
- Quest for Infamy: So You Want to Be a Villain? (Old version of project)
- Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring (Old version of project)
- Project Katrina
- Destiny The Lost Soul
- Hero of Odarin I: Nightfall (Previously Adventurer's Quest I: Flight of the Vampire)
- Struggle For Life & Honour
- Peril Quest
- Quest for Glory 3D (Previously Re-Quest For Glory)
- The Unknown Hero
- Glorious Quest
- Unknown QFG Project: By Dormant
- Legacy of Glory
- Unknown QFG Project: By Jimbeanus
- Conquests of a Hero (Also known as A Hero's Tale & Quest for Heroism)
- Quest for Orgy Series
- Luke 3D
- The Last Call of Avoozl
- Quest For Glory: A Hero's Death
- Project Midgard
- The Glory Project

For more details on these games you can now visit my finished Quest for Glory Page. If you have demos, videos, and pictures that I don't have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other QFG related projects out there that I haven't listed here.

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
Re: Quest for Glory fan projects
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »
Been a while since I last updated this in all the forums and as a result there have been many changes to my Quest for Glory Page and new projects found since my last update! Thank you to everyone that’s contacted me with new information over the last 3 years! :)

New QFG related projects added:
- Hero-U - Lori & Corey Cole are back making RPG games!
- Mage's Initiation - Amazing new kickstarter project from the QFG2 remake team
- Quest for Glory ZZT - oldie that slipped my radar
- Quest For 3D - Cool new QFG1 project using the unreal engine
- Grim Quest
- Peril Quest

QFG related projects updated:
- Original QFG3,4 & 5 - Finally finished my playthroughs & tribute pages!
- Hero6 - Original MAD & Final AGS demos FINALLY found and made available! New pics/vids made
- Quest For Glory 4 ½ - New v1.1 walkthrough released! New QFG4.5 Enhanced edition in the works!
- Quest for Infamy - Project back from dead via kickstarter! New pics/vids/demos
- Heroine's Quest: The Herald Of Ragnarok - New pics and trailer vid

General QFG page updates:
- Widescreen support with fullscreen backgrounds
- Thumbnails for faster page loads
- Transparent darkened/coloured box theme overhaul
- Animating intro page
- Animating backgrounds - occasional ghosting in IE
- Custom cursors - won’t work in IE
- Transparent coloured scrollbars - only works in Chrome, Safari & partially in IE

Every time I update the list I wonder if it will be the last time and then new talented QFG fans appear with new projects in the works. Has been quite amazing how things have come back to life over the last 3 years. :)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
Does Hero-U really count as a QFG style game, considering everything we've heard about it suggests it will neither look nor play like a QFG game?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
Well, Lamb, I'm not sure that's the right question.  Is this a list of "QFG style games", or a list of "QFG related projects"?

It appears that Blake00 has labeled it the latter, where the the answer is clear.  Do all the other projects in the list look or play like QFG?

This is, of course, also ignoring Dragon Fire, which was obviously very different (a number of ARPG's might be argued to be QFGV-like, but that's completely beside the point).
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
Yeah I thought for a while about whether to add Hero-U or not. Hell I think I deleted it and put it back in the list a couple of times lol. In the end I decided to put it there as it's being created by the Coles, and while not set in the QFG universe exactly it appears they plan to use a names and locations from QFG and no doubt there will be many easter eggs, jokes and gameplay influences relating to their QFG games so I deemed it a QFG loosely related project.

Plus lets face it, there's still old QFG fans out there living under rocks that don't know about the Cole's returning to make RPGs so its good to get the word out in each forum my list exists at. :)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
Man, that list brings back memories!  Struggle for Life and Honor, Nightfall...

These were all projects back in the good old days, man.  Real memories back there.  Kind of fun that we're still around.  I wish a lot of them got finished.

Blake, I love your site and I love your work on tracking down all these.  You really took time and effort to do it, and it means a lot to some people - like myself.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:54:29 AM »
the grim quest links get diverted to other sites, at least one of the potentially harmful type.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:03 AM »
Thanks BT :)

Took a few months to originally make in 2010 as I spent days on end digging through web archive sites at old project pages. What was good about those old days was that you all supported each other in that all the project pages had links lists to other projects so every new project I discovered lead to others I didn't know about, the list just got bigger and bigger! Being a massive QFG fan I'd get so excited when I'd find a project I didn't know about and a demo to try out, and yeah I wish a lot of these projects got finished too. Sadly web archive doesn't always back up pictures and rarely backs up downloads and videos so a lot of good stuff is still lost to this day. :(

Myrddin: Oh dear I'll have to do something about that, looks like he took his site down after not getting much interest in his multiplayer QFG idea and something else unplesant has moved in. Annoyingly the webring uploader isn't working today so I'll have to fix it later!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:39:26 AM »
a little off topic, but how up to date is your Starflight stuff? Its another favorite of mine.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:08:09 AM »
a little off topic, but how up to date is your Starflight stuff? Its another favorite of mine.

Brand new section mate, I created it just under a month ago. Been wanting to make a big page for years on the series, partly just for myself so I could listen to the music whenever I wanted haha. Like with QFG please let me know if you come across any good fan projects, their community has really slowed down in the last few years which is a bit sad. The Starflight 3 project was their big 'Hero6' of the fan projects with massive hopes, big expectations, and multiple collapses. :( But unlike Hero6 its back to life again. Hope they get there!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:35 AM »
I keep loosing track of that one. hope it gets done soon.

back on hero6 I tried running the 96 version but it seems to be missing a DLL file

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:55:30 AM »
I assume you mean the 2006 MAD engine version. Hmmm can't remember as it was ages ago that I installed it. Knowing me I probably just googled the dll name and downloaded it.

I've had a look in my game folder and there's 2 dll's in there that aren't in the original installer zip:

alleg42.dll
Which you can get from here

msvcr71.dll
Which you can get from here

Extract both the dll's into your hero6 folder and see if the game runs then.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to update my page with this info!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
the second link has expired, but I've tried the first and it works, so does the game at least until it crashes after the character creation screen

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 12:15:30 AM »
lol and right below where it says expired it gives you a link to refresh and get the file.

Still if the game started up and crashed there may be other issues (but get the 2nd file just in case its that). I had a lot of troubles running it in Win7 but fortunately I had a WinXP virtual machine that it worked quite nicely in, but still not perfectly lol. In fact my 2 playthrough videos on youtube are actually stitched together from many videos recorded between crashes and bugs lol! The MAD engine version is very old and very unstable, but very cool if you can get it working.

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 01:38:10 AM »
got it this time, I'll try again.  I did eventually manage to get a bit further, but the game keeps crashing and there doesn't seem to be a way to save your progress even though there is a way to restore it.  there is a way to try again, not much good though if you've lost your progress.

shame it looks good, what I can see of it anyway - though fighting seems almost impossible.

Thanks for pointing it out