Author Topic: Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?  (Read 80427 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/games/view/238

That's kind of cool.

I was wondering but, how do you play QFG 4.5?  I have no clue how to run it in dosbox or anything.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Quest For Glory 4.5 inspired this?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/games/view/238

That's kind of cool.

I was wondering but, how do you play QFG 4.5?  I have no clue how to run it in dosbox or anything.

Our good friend Mr. Blake00 has everything you'd want to know about QFG4½ at Blake's Sanctum -- or at least everything worth knowing -- including how to set it up for play:

Blake's Sanctum -- home page
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/QFGSeries/QFGSeriesIndex.html

Blake's Sanctum -- QFG4½ page
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/QFGSeries/QFG45/QFG45.html

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »
I read his FAQ...

"4. How To Get The Game Working On Modern Machines
*******************************************************************************************************************
The game is designed with a 1999 early version of the all mighty AGS engine, it’s also rumoured to be very poorly scripted so unfortunately it’s bug central and a nightmare to run on modern machines.

The well known DOS version is more so the nightmare. I remember getting it work in 2002ish which I’m pretty sure was in WinXP yet in 2010 I just couldn’t get it to work on my WinXP machine. It’s possible my memory is tricking me as I did have a XP/Win98 multiboot machine back then and may have switched to Win98 to play the game. Some people have had success using Vdmsound however unfortunately I did not have any luck. Due to some strange DOS32 errors it also currently does not work in DosBox either. Only suggestion for the DOS version I can make is to download Microsoft Virtual PC and install Windows 98 on it, or build up a real Windows 98 computer and try the game in there.

Anyway, fortunately I then heard in various forums that a rare Windows version of the game existed! It took me a while but in the end one site out there Curly's World Of Freeware had it and hopefully more will have it soon as it becomes more widely known. However even the Windows version wasn’t fun to get working as the Windows AGS 2.30.221 setup uses a not so simple DOS batch file which ultimately adds an extra setup command to QFG.exe. Unfortunately modern OS’s don’t like a lot of the old batch operations so it doesn’t work. Fortunately creating a Windows shortcut to the game’s exe, going into its properties and placing the extra  --setup  command in the shortcut’s Target field just after QFG.exe (eg QFG.exe --setup.exe) instead works and allowed me to setup sound & resolution making the game work! I recommend 640x480 for best look and compatibility (320x200 doesn’t work on most modern machines and 960x600 was stretched & blocky!). Another way I’ve heard is to take a setup.exe file from another old AGS game and put it in your QFG4.5 directory and rename QFG.exe to the other game’s main exe file allowing you to setup the game, however my way of simply creating & modifying a windows shortcut is so much easier!

While attempting to get some walkthrough help in several AGS/QFG forums I inadvertently restarted interest in the forums at Infamous Adventures and AGD Interactive in upgrading the game to the latest AGS version hopefully fixing a lot of the games issues. At the time of writing this there was still debate about how to attempt this as there are many hurdles. If a new version is released I’ll be making sure the games various hosting sites are informed of it & that this walkthrough is updated too!"

But to be perfectly honest, I'm still completely confused!  I barely know how to use dosbox as it is...

In simple dumb guy terms that even Forest Gump could understand, how exactly do I get this game to work in dosbox or wherever?

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
I could be quite wrong, but if I recall reading about it, the game has more bugs than a bait store, and trying to get it working even using DOSBox is a nightmare...

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I've never had an interest in playing it myself.

Here are two videos from Blake --  The Intro (Part 1 of 2)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kWilpw4KQI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kWilpw4KQI</a>

and a Quick Tour of the valley (Part 2 of 2)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1gAedOZ3iI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1gAedOZ3iI</a>

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
Man, that game does look hellaciously funny.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
But to be perfectly honest, I'm still completely confused!  I barely know how to use dosbox as it is...

In simple dumb guy terms that even Forest Gump could understand, how exactly do I get this game to work in dosbox or wherever?

You can't. It is so poorly scripted and the old AGS DOS engine was pretty quirky. It won't even start if you do not have CWSDPMI in the folder. With it, the game crashes while initializing. Just download the Windows version. Be warned, it is not a very good game. Earlier versions were full of bad racist jokes and questionable, not very funny humor.

Also, there are far better games out there. GOG has all 5 original QfG games available for about $10US. AGDI had a QfGII VGA remake for free http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
The easiest way to use DosBox is to put an icon to it on the desktop and then just drag the executable file for whatever game you're wanting to play onto the DosBox icon.

Personally, I think it's a great little game, very funny (although quite bad taste at times.) But that appeals to me at times. I'll add that while Steve and I both enjoyed a laugh at QFG4.5, QFI is not in the slightest based on, or inspired by it.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »
The easiest way to use DosBox is to put an icon to it on the desktop and then just drag the executable file for whatever game you're wanting to play onto the DosBox icon.

Personally, I think it's a great little game, very funny (although quite bad taste at times.) But that appeals to me at times. I'll add that while Steve and I both enjoyed a laugh at QFG4.5, QFI is not in the slightest based on, or inspired by it.

Still no luck playing this.  Maybe I should contact that Blake guy?

Also, bad racist jokes?    Who would make something like that.....

THIS GAME SOUNDS AWESOME!

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:18 AM »
noone likes racist jokes unless they're post-ironic but seriously the music was pretty good!
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
Wasn't the music all lifted from other games too?
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
oh I don't know about that.. That is naughty.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »
As I said, the DOS version will not run in DOSBox. Just get the Windows version that is linked on that page.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
Got the Windows version.  Still not working by itself.  Now then...

"Anyway, fortunately I then heard in various forums that a rare Windows version of the game existed! It took me a while but in the end one site out there Curly's World Of Freeware had it and hopefully more will have it soon as it becomes more widely known. However even the Windows version wasn’t fun to get working as the Windows AGS 2.30.221 setup uses a not so simple DOS batch file which ultimately adds an extra setup command to QFG.exe. Unfortunately modern OS’s don’t like a lot of the old batch operations so it doesn’t work. Fortunately creating a Windows shortcut to the game’s exe, going into its properties and placing the extra  --setup  command in the shortcut’s Target field just after QFG.exe (eg QFG.exe --setup.exe) instead works and allowed me to setup sound & resolution making the game work! I recommend 640x480 for best look and compatibility (320x200 doesn’t work on most modern machines and 960x600 was stretched & blocky!). Another way I’ve heard is to take a setup.exe file from another old AGS game and put it in your QFG4.5 directory and rename QFG.exe to the other game’s main exe file allowing you to setup the game, however my way of simply creating & modifying a windows shortcut is so much easier!"

"Fortunately creating a Windows shortcut to the game’s exe, going into its properties and placing the extra  --setup  command in the shortcut’s Target field just after QFG.exe (eg QFG.exe --setup.exe) instead works and allowed me to setup sound & resolution making the game work! I recommend 640x480 for best look and compatibility (320x200 doesn’t work on most modern machines and 960x600 was stretched & blocky!)."

I'm still lost.  In complete idiot-speak that even I could comprehend, could someone please explain what he's saying to do here?  I renamed the "QFG.exe" file to "QFG.exe --setup.exe" without any luck. :(

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
The problem is that modern graphics can't do 32x200, which is what the setup defaults to. Create an empty file named ACSETUP.CFG. Past the following into it.

Code: [Select]
[sound]
digiindx=0
digiid=-1
midiindx=7
midiid=1297110304

[misc]
screenres=1

and save it in the game's folder.l

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
Okay, we're getting closer to me understanding this, thank you.

I tried making a copy of a random cfg file, then I opened it in Notepad.  I replaced everything inside with...

"Code: [Select]

[sound]
digiindx=0
digiid=-1
midiindx=7
midiid=1297110304

[misc]
screenres=1
"

I still can't get it to work, what else do I need to do or what am I doing wrong?  Again, you gotta give me directions like I'm Forest Gump on this, lol.

(note- i just played QFG1 again!  I'm looking forward to this game even if it is kinda stupid, for no other reason than to do something with that log, go into the graveyard crypt, into the mountain pass and maybe climb up the castle.)