Author Topic: Production progress  (Read 4363 times)

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
Production progress
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
Is production going to schedule? In years of following both fan and commercial games I have found that things always tend to take a lot longer then first thought. Is q2 still a realistic release date or is it more likely to be q4ish?
Had the extra content stretch goal not been met do you think the game would have released by now?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Production progress
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
Yes, production is going according to schedule, I feel.  Things do tend to take longer than you think, but I've always put in some padding in our estimates.  Late Q2-Early Q3 seems right on track with how we're progressing now.

I can't really say if it would be finished now - I'd hope so, but I don't know!  I did add a significant amount of content - in the size of the game (rooms) and in terms of story.  I'm glad we did, though, because this is a much fuller and richer game - and closer to the intentions in my head.  Of course, I also think if we had a larger budget we'd be able to get it done faster, as we'd have more people that could work full time on this.  Many members of the team still work regular jobs, and work on multiple projects.  The truth is money does equal speed in this business, for sure - but we're used to working under such constraints, and the budget we did raise allowed us to come much further than we did working as I!.  I mean, this game would have taken us like five years to make if we made it no-budget like we did at IA!!!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info. It,is cool to be able to get insights from the developers. I was also wondering how many copies excluding backers would you want to sell to make the game a success? Would 5000 be enough  or would you be hoping for more?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »
The advantage of running a Kickstarter is we didn't have to supply a lot of money up front ourselves, so the number of units sold will need to be less (although this does balance out because we have to give so many copies away as part of the swag with KS.) At this stage, I can't give you a number because we haven't finalised the price point of the game, as this will be somewhat determined by the avenues we distribute the game through. For example, Good old Games and Steam take about 30% of the sale price.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »
Same with Desura.  However, the Humble Store is supposedly around 5%, but you do all your own marketing (like a BMT Micro but with managed hosting & customer service).
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
How are things going with production? Is an early q3 release still a reality?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
That's still our goal, yes!

Bt

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
Awesome! It is very impressive for an indie team to at least have a shot at meeting their deadline!! Most projects blow out, so if you are even close to your release date then well done!

I would love to hear about what some of the challenges during production have been? What things have ended up being causing headaches?

Also I see that the beta testing reward mentioned versions (plural) does this mean that the first beta release will be happening fairly soon?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
Hey mate,

The biggest challenge from my side of things is making sure the RPG elements all play out properly and that the combat is fluid, challenging yet also simple. Just because combat with a particular enemy works fine in a testing environment doesn't mean it's going to work well when the whole game is played as one piece. Taking an element out and testing it on it's own doesn't show the game working as a whole.

Honestly, I don't really have many issues or headaches with QFI. Steve and I brainstorm ideas about how certain things are going to work every few days but even that's not an issue. In fact, I enjoy it! We have millions of ideas and our conversations always finish with "Dude, we are brilliant people." Which is true.

Shawn

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
Hey!  Now, to provide a more detailed answer (I was out and about last night, posting from an iPhone)

I think the biggest headache people have is just time - time to work on this.  The money we raised isn't enough for all of us to work full time on it, so it's still be made in people's spare time - and you know, everyone on the team - well, their lives are full and busy as hell this year!  Seriously, everyone's got major stuff going on right now.  So people produce work for this at a sacrafice of their free time, heh, and often their sanity.  We've got new jobs, school finals, marriages, babies... heh, it's been a crazy time for the IQ team.  But I'm still overwhelmingly impressed with everyone's dedication to the project and the amount of work we do.  If we had a really respectable budget, where everyone was working 100% full time on it, with the way everyone works, it'd take us only a few weeks!  Hahah, that's a joke, really - but I'd say time is a major headache.

As for Beta Testing, when we get closer to that, people will get emails from us.

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
It's worth mentioning that, despite all that Bt just mentioned (which is totally true, by the way, and then some), production of QFI has been running consistently smoothly and at an exponentially faster pace than anything we ever did at IA, and at much higher quality.  We really are keeping a good pace, despite the ravages of all of our day job & family life schedules.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.