Author Topic: Here's another secret...  (Read 11589 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Here's another secret...
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
Don't let Blackthorne and Klytos fool you...

Quest For Infamy isn't a new game; it's another remake — albeit a very good remake — of an old Atari 2600 / Intellivision game from the early 1980s.

As proof, here is my copy of the original Intellivision gamebox:

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Here's another secret...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Needs in-game screenshots!  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
Needs in-game screenshots!  :)

I toyed with the idea of doing mock-ups of the controller overlays when the whole "retro" thing was happening on FaceBook last month, but I'll try to get a few screen shots out here in the week or so!   :)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

After some hard work getting the emulator to accept the rom, I was able to get screenshots from the Intellivision version of "Quest For Infamy":

Title Screen

Mr. Roehm meets Udo

Close-up of "Mr. Roehm Meets Udo" -- check out that 8-bit detail !

I was even able to dig up the old overlays that went with the game; here's a scan:

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »
You win the internet, my friend.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »

Thank you for the kind words, Lambonius!

I had a lot of fun designing/creating the overlay, and the screenshot -- even thought is very crude by today's standards -- still took most of a day to look "just right"...

As such, I really appreciate all of you artists who are contributing to the game.  I can't image how difficult it is or how much work is involved to make something look realistic!

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »

I have to agree mate, this is fantastic. You do really good work

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
Love it Goatmeal!  Very nice... I'm imagining what the music might sound like, maybe like back when the sound came from your internal PC speaker...;)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
Thanks, Lupin and SarahLiz!   :)

Re-creating QFI for the first gaming system our family had in the early '80s was a lot of fun, and where the good old days of early video gaming are concerned, I certainly appreciate your kind words for these ancient "flights of fancy"...   :)

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
Excellent work!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
Goatmeal dude, thanks a bunch! The disk-turning region of my wrist muscles got a serious jolt from your controller overlay, buddy...  What an awesome blast from the past.    8)
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Seriously - are they any Intellivision or Atari Emulators out there with On-line play capability!  We should get a "Combat" tournament going some night for all of us old folks.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
PlayCable-over-IP ?  :o
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Thanks, Broomie and s_d !

It was a given to transfer the drop-down menu options from QFI onto the various Intellivision controller buttons.  However, I didn't want it to be just plain, generic text against a plain background; all of the best overlays had intricate background artwork and/or unique shapes for the buttons...

The "shield" shape was obvious (for the medieval setting), but then inspiration hit me: how could little Intellivision Roehm be infamous?  Hence, the "Infamous Actions" buttons -- Drink Ale, Hurl Insult, and Start Fight -- were born !

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 01:11:44 PM »
Love it Goatmeal!  Very nice... I'm imagining what the music might sound like, maybe like back when the sound came from your internal PC speaker...;)

Funny you should say that.. I did a Tandy 3-voice internal speaker version of the QFI theme tune... Maybe we could put all this together???

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/72601548/QFI%20TANDY%201000%20EX%20VERSION.mp3

^ ^ ^ linky ^ ^ ^
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.