Author Topic: Thoughts on "Quest for Infamy" (Demo)  (Read 35980 times)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Thoughts on "Quest for Infamy" (Demo)
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »
We have plans for a scoring system, it just won't be the same as traditional Sierra games. I really don't want to give anything away though, the more people know the less interesting the final product will be!!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
Also, one thing I REALLY liked was being able to break in Rayford's door to his house.  Although the demo doesn't quite get into what makes him a bastard, it was fun to have the PC say "screw it" and just cut loose.  Sure, the town guard busts him afterwards, but it's still fun even if just for a little bit. 

A minor complaint, I really didn't like all the times he'd try to attack someone/something and the narrator would give an explanation about why he doesn't want to do it.  Though, I can see where it might be a lot of trouble to include a death scene/dialogue for hitting 100+ people/buildings, it'd be nice to have more stuff to attack. (and maybe some fights are losable with lousy stats- I'm thinking of that beefy bodybuilder in the tavern)

Also, thanks for reigniting my interest in QFG, I'll be playing that to tide me over til the summer. :)  Hope I'm not yapping too much, just posting my own personal wish list of things in a QFG-style evil game.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Yap away! :)

I love your enthusiasm for the game and I really look forward to you playing the full version and telling us what you think of it!

In the full version, there will certainly be more things to attack and break than there are in the demo (as a spoiler I'll let you know that Mr Roehm isn't above petty vandalism either!) But consider that if someone came into your town and started fights with everyone and kicked in random doors, looted, pillaged etc. Wouldn't people just end up saying "Oh screw this dude, let's just get rid of him." Doesn't make for a great story to be honest. It's a hard line to draw.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Jerminator

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »
I'm still wondering if anyone has killed the blacksmith yet.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
HA!  Not likely Jerm.  You have to act fast to get that one.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
That one's the best.  I did a good death scream for him.

Bt

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »
What??  You can kill the blacksmith?!  Ok, you're yanking my chain...right?  I'm assuming you guys are joking here...but of course you're going to make me go re-play it now and somehow try that.  Thanks a lot.

::)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 02:04:09 AM »
BUGS

1. Can't scroll through multiple saved games, you have to delete older games to reach files below.

2. Speed seems to be inconsistent.... sometimes upping it works, and the guy moves like he's on drugs, other times it doesn't effect him, seems to be random.

3. Not a bug but, when you try to kill the blacksmith when he goes to Rayford it'd be nice if it auto-evented him without having to be super-close and coming in from the south.

Additionally, an option to auto-maximized the screen would be great, I've seen that on a few games.

I'm curious what happens if you try buying a drink with no money but, it'd be too insanely long to drink like 2000 beers.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
One thing though, props for making the game have 3 paths- it gives a lot more replay value.  "Power gamers" like myself will always try to make an uber-god character, but this way you gotta play 3 times through to see the whole game.

As for the game, my guess is each path has a significantly different plotline, some of which may intersect a bit.  I'm kind of curious about the mage one, simply because Prospero seems really interesting, but the thief one interests me. (even if the thieves seem like the wimpiest faction in the game thus far)

Another thing I'll add, hmm... careful not to make it too easy to grind up stats.  QFG's biggest flaws are stuff like building up a tough boxer just by climbing trees and throwing 1000 rocks.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
I can't say anything specific, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to assure you that each class definitely has a number of unique plot elements associated with it.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
That's cool!

Believe me, if the game gave me the option I'd probably play as a magical thief-brigand tribrid, lol.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 03:13:18 AM »
The different sub-classes have unique quests but the overall quest / story-line of the game is the same for all three paths. Otherwise we'd just be making three games!

As for increasing stats, I don't want to give away too much but each stat is raised on a bell curve, the higher the stat the more work it will take to increase it.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
Another thing I'll add- I do hope there's a lot of houses and other stuff to rob.  Obviously it won't be like Skyrim where you can rob anything in sight, but a good number.

My favorite robbery in QFG was always the bank in 5- not just cause you'd start the game loaded, but also because certain characters would make reference to it.  You could even rob it twice, really driving the owner nuts, but then the bank would become so guarded afterwards that you could only break in by killing several guards, after which there'd always be an ambush inside the bank. 

It seemed odd in QFG1 how you could rob the sheriff and some sweet little old lady and nobody would ever say anything about it, or suspect that the new guy in town had something to do with it.  I like the idea of the world responding to your criminal actions.

Finally, I know we never get to see their boss and maybe he's some kind of smooth conman badass but I gotta admit, the thieves look the least interesting from what we've seen of them so far.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
The thieves get a lot more interesting.

7legion77

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 01:23:06 AM »
Quest for Infamy demo 2.0 feedback

I am thoroughly pleased with this game -- I didn't believe I could relive the Sierra experience until I fired this up. Phenomenal!

The game shamelessly borrows from Quest for Glory and King's Quest and other titles, yet it has an identity that is utterly it's own.

This is heads & shoulders above anything you've released as "Infamous Adventures", particularly pertaining to originality.

I didn't think there could be a totally fresh, purely Sierra-style game in the year of 2013 but you have proven me wrong.

I'm sure these things are easy to fix:

The slightest nuances and bugs, while seemingly minor, have a way of disrupting gameplay and breaking the illusion. The final product, in my opinion, should be as polished and professional as possible.

Please don't use the same jokes twice (for example, picnic). Please make sure the text always adheres perfectly to the speech -- we will immediately notice the inconsistencies.

Since the CD version of KQ5 was my first adventure game ever, I've become attached to the *speech-only* option. Having both speech and text feels redundant, and I'm sure you'll have the option for disabling the text boxes in the final release. I think you should have it set to speech only, no text as a default in the final version. Voices communicate a lot more by themselves, than do pixelated text boxes.

I hope you will implement stamina, food and "vigor" potions. Food should be necessary. Not being able to run forever, as well as dying because I never bothered to sleep/eat added to the realism in the QfG games. I hope you will program this perfectly without providing any crutches.

On the subject of crutches, make the combat harder! Make it so Roehm can constantly die in all kinds of unexpected, fabulous ways. I'd like some conversation options... if you say the wrong thing to the townspeople, they call the guards and you die. If you talk to the wrong guard after becoming a notorious high-ranking member of the Thieves' Guild, he finds out who you are and you die just like in Conquests of the Longbow.
Playing the "drinking game" should have consequences (such as a death box reading: you knocked up a barmaid and spent the rest of your life trying to support a child before your wife stabbed you to death). What if Roehm can become an alcoholic? He would win the drinking games and make lots of money, yet he would need a constant supply of booze. The options are limitless!
 Make this less vanilla, and more hardcore... as much.as.possible.

This speaks of the state of modern gaming: I want to feel like I'm in a risky, dangerous game world where I have to be tight and on-point, and save constantly. Please, please, please don't make this game feel like a cakewalk. I want to struggle through it. I don't want to be able to beat this game in less than a week. I WANT this to have the same level of frustration I felt when playing Codename: ICEMAN without a hintbook.

Finally, don't be afraid to break some of the old-school rules and make this a brand new game unto itself. This is not Sierra, this is Infamous Quests. We DO have some modern technology and I really want you guys to blow people away and even revolutionize the game creation process with this Kickstarter endeavor. You are not creating Call of Duty 19, you are creating a brand new game with its integrity intact, and for this I am thankful.  Please convince me to be add myself to the list of contributors!

P.S. the fact that "Ina" is so tantalizing shows how much promise Quest for Infamy really holds...  ;D
just my 2 cents