Author Topic: Brigand, Rogue or Sorcerer? What did you become first?  (Read 28434 times)

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Liked: 2
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Brigand, Rogue or Sorcerer? What did you become first?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
I just meant the QfG-paladin as an example how a 4th class could be integrated in the game. That you have to accomplish something beyond "just" beating the game
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
Heh.  I know what you meant, totally Roger. 

I don't want to give away anything.  So I won't.  Neener neener.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Well, the opposite of paladin is blackguard... but that might run counter to the premise.  Roehm would really have to be a nasty dude indeed;  i.e., evil, thusly insane, hence back to the premise of the game as stated ages ago.

Hm.  Perhaps a some sort of immoral bard.  What would a villainous bard even be... a politician?
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
Well, the opposite of paladin is blackguard... but that might run counter to the premise.  Roehm would really have to be a nasty dude indeed;  i.e., evil, thusly insane, hence back to the premise of the game as stated ages ago.

Hm.  Perhaps a some sort of immoral bard.  What would a villainous bard even be... a politician?
  I know who this would be, Keith Richards, Axl Rose, Bob Dylan, Tommy Lee would be good choices for the villainous Bards.  As for the politicians any would fit the role!!!! Politicians all suck ass in my thoughts, hence in another thread i called them "shit shovellers." :P
**********Chadly*********************

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:26 PM »
Villainous Bards.  That's my band name.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
Villainous Bards.  That's my band name.

Dunno, I'm kinda digging "The Shit Shovellers"... we'd be a post-punk revival, roots rock fusion band.

"This one goes out to all you angsty farm hands!"
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »
Great lets all start a new band. S_d and Lam and be the musicians and i will be PR head.  But on a serious note Your band "Villainous Bards" sounds cool!!!!! So does the "Shit Shollevers"!  I get the credit for the name, but sadly i found it in the John! lol :D
**********Chadly*********************

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »

Even Roehm would not be as evil as politicians

Monster

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
I played as a Rogue the first time, but I've seen the Sorcerer's path, and I expect that I know where the Brigand's path leads.

I really enjoyed the choices, and I will complete each path eventually.

As for a fourth class, that would be interesting to see.  I can imagine an affiliation with that mysterious nameless character.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
I think a cool fourth class would be something like a Bard, where your primary tool was your personality and ability to talk your way past situations that other characters would have to fight, sneak, or magick their way through.  The class would have specific new dialog choices in most conversations that aren't available to the other characters, and a number of situations would be resolved through dialog puzzles that required you to think logically about your responses and gauge NPC emotions/attitude towards you in order to succeed.  The character would be below average at combat, would have some basic magic skills, possibly centered around charm or guile spells that could be class-specific, and would be able to negotiate better prices at shops than any other class.  Class specific plot scenarios could involve the character being invited into events or situations that were off-limits to other characters, perhaps to entertain Rayford and his guests for example, and could play music (a lute maybe?) to calm monsters and avoid combat encounters.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 03:40:34 AM »
Ah, yes!  Modified dialogue tree, just for him.  Perhaps the additional dialogue options are coloured differently to stand out;  perhaps if you can raise your stats enough, then multiple improved dialogue options become visible as well.  Brilliant, Lambonius!

Hmm... I'm seeing the sneaky bard now, in my mind's eye.  In the case of Rayford slaying you on the spot (or sending you to the town square for beheading) you'd instead end up in the brig, by using your silvered tongue to save your life.  Then, you'd need to talk Jan into letting you out for some reason (and complete a Jan quest to avoid later recapture).  Perhaps none of your tricks work on Prospero;  he's wearing a talisman of some sort that cuts through.  Also, perhaps Rayford is particularly keen, so you mustn't conduct discourse with him directly, but through intermediary characters.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »
Ah, yes!  Modified dialogue tree, just for him.  Perhaps the additional dialogue options are coloured differently to stand out;  perhaps if you can raise your stats enough, then multiple improved dialogue options become visible as well.  Brilliant, Lambonius!

Hmm... I'm seeing the sneaky bard now, in my mind's eye.  In the case of Rayford slaying you on the spot (or sending you to the town square for beheading) you'd instead end up in the brig, by using your silvered tongue to save your life.  Then, you'd need to talk Jan into letting you out for some reason (and complete a Jan quest to avoid later recapture).  Perhaps none of your tricks work on Prospero;  he's wearing a talisman of some sort that cuts through.  Also, perhaps Rayford is particularly keen, so you mustn't conduct discourse with him directly, but through intermediary characters.

Yeah, good ideas!  The trick, I think, is keeping the bard feeling distinct enough from the Rogue.  So you wouldn't really want him to be able to pick locks (beyond maybe the most basic lock) and sneak much.  He doesn't need to in most cases--he can charm his way in.  :)

Monster

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
The Bard would be an interesting way to go.  I'd love to hear all of the songs he could learn to play.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
I'm liking the bard idea.  Sounds cool.  I'd certainly try my hand at it.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
The Bard would be an interesting way to go.  I'd love to hear all of the songs he could learn to play.

I like the idea of the bard being able to learn different songs--but it's just like the idea of a "sneaky" bard--you have be careful.  If you have a character who can learn a multitude of songs that he can use in different settings at will, then the character is functionally a mage, just swapping "songs" for "spells."

I'd keep the music thing as a general skill that can be used more like an item.  It's helpful in certain situations, but the bard is a smart guy--he already knows the best song to use for a given scenario.  I wouldn't leave it up to player choice.

The ultimate goal would be a class that feels just as distinct from the classic three as they do from each other.  I would argue that the Paladin from QFG, while cool, didn't succeed in this regard, as it was basically just a fighter with a few unique plot scenarios and "spells."