Author Topic: Quest for Infamy Detailed Review  (Read 6108 times)

Wildman

Quest for Infamy Detailed Review
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
Greetings!   Yesterday I finished Quest for Infamy as a Brigand, and wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with the game.  One might consider this entire post a spoiler, so be warned.

The Characters  Wow.  You guys did a truly amazing job with Roehm, a lovable anti-hero.  I liked how he isn't flagrantly evil, just self-centered, snarktastic, and willing to do whatever it takes to look out for number one.  The way that he banters and interacts with people is just awesome and hilarious.   Like with Kurdt...'Lucky for you, I have a pair of tweezers'
Roehm is a cool-as-hell badass main character who is easy to like and identify with.

And Rayford, you made a great villain out of him.  At first he just seemed like a really tough, assholish small-town sherriff, but I liked how he ended up being the Big Bad behind all the troubles in Krasna.

Kit, Ina, Kayanna and Voleris all made very desirable romance interests, even if the first two were just mild flirtations.  They both gave the feel of 'Hmm, maybe this town isn't so bad after all'

The Story  Shady guy on the run just wants to pass through, but gets caught up in a plot to take over the valley and the kingdom of Lonaria using an ancient artifact.  Roehm wants nothing more than a pouch full of coins, a jack of ale and a lovely woman to share it with, but ends up having to play the hero just to keep his head attached and avoid being the fall man.  I loved this story!  Congrats all around.  While the gameplay itself closely resembled the beloved Quest for Glory series, the story itself was highly unique and much more detailed and exciting.

Gameplay  Very intuitive and enjoyable, in the tradition of the Sierra games I have always loved.

Thoughts for Improvement
  I would have liked to see deeper exploration of the relationships with Kayanna and/or Voleris (ok, really Voleris, especially given the options to give her that dagger and rescue her from imprisonment).
And that line from the demo, with Kurdt's drinking challenge?  'First one to give up has a vagina, right?'  That was comedy gold, too bad that didn't make it to the final version.  LOL
More stuff to do with the brigand's would be cool.  Maybe a boxing mini-game in the hideout, or more of a chance to flirt up the chick doing such a banging good job of restringing that bow, etc.

Sequel?  Probably the last thing Steven and the team want to think about now, just after release, but if you do a kickstarter for a sequel, count me in all the way!!

Great job, again.  This is the most I have enjoyed a game in decades!!

Now, time to play it through as a Thief.  Because the world is a crazy place, and sometimes you just have to steal shit  8)

~WildMan

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Quest for Infamy Detailed Review
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
Hey, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!  Really glad to hear you enjoyed the game.  I particularly like your thoughts on Roehm's character--that's exactly what we were going for, so it's always nice to hear that it came across as intended and was well-received.

Also, just a heads up when playing the rogue class--
Spoiler (hover to show)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:14:40 AM »
Hey Lamb, I am confused about this known bug. I haven't had a lot of time to play the game but had a save game on day 5. In this game
Spoiler (hover to show)
An advice would be appreciated

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Re: Quest for Infamy Detailed Review
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:26:50 AM »
Hey Lamb, I am confused about this known bug. I haven't had a lot of time to play the game but had a save game on day 5. In this game
Spoiler (hover to show)
An advice would be appreciated

No, that's all correct--you don't meet her at the mountain until a little later in Act I.  At a certain point you'll be told to meet her there; just save the raven quest for after that and you should be fine.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:35:39 AM »
That is pretty clear but just to make sure
Spoiler (hover to show)

Do I have that right?

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
Yes, that should be right.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:09 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

That's not true--
Spoiler (hover to show)

If this is the way it's supposed to work, we have a bug on our hands.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »
That is strange.  I am pretty sure that would be a bug then. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
That is strange.  I am pretty sure that would be a bug then.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Wildman

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
Also, just a heads up when playing the rogue class--
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks for the heads-up, Lambonius.  I met with Kayanna before knocking over the Mayor's house (which was awesome, by the way...I almost peed a little when the tiger woke up, but thinking quickly, I fed it a salami!).  So I got around that bug.

I'm really enjoying playing as the thief, now.  I like how there are a lot of break-in opportunities that Mr. Roehm can visit.  I kept clicking the hand icon everywhere in Rayford's house to see if Roehm could piss in it!   ;D    Brattle's house was funny too, I think we all have at least one friend like that whose house we will never enter because it reeks so bad.

I had a thought for the sequel, that I wanted to share.  What if in Konningslist, Roehm gets frisky with the princess, and when the king confronts him about it, someone takes that opportunity to assassinate the king and pin the blame on Roehm, who then has to not only escape and elude angry royalists, but also find the real killer and restore his 'good' name?

Anyway, bravo guys, this game is even MORE fun on my second playthrough.