Author Topic: I can't play the game :(  (Read 5023 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
I can't play the game :(
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:55 AM »
"There was a problem initializing graphics mode 960 x 720 (32-bit).
(Problem: 'This graphics mode is not supported")
Try to correct the problem or seek help from the AGS homepage.

Possible causes:
* your graphics card drivers do not support this resolution.  Run the game setup program and try the other resolution.
* the graphics driver you have selected does not work.  Try switching between Direct3D and DirectDraw.
* the graphics filter you have selected does not work.  Try another filter."

This really sucks!  I don't know why it's complaining, I have a graphics card that can play next-gen games and this isn't Half Life 3.

I don't really get -any- options with the game, every time I try to load it up I get this same message.

So... could somebody please explain to me in layman's terms (I don't know very much about computers) what it is I am supposed to do to be able to fix this?

And what's this mystical "Game setup program" it keeps telling me to make adjustments in?

Geez, this sucks!  You've made Bad2DaBone Sad2DaBone. :(

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
Re: I can't play the game :(
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:26:03 AM »
Have you tried running the winsetup file located in your Quest for Infamy directory? Try toggling the various options as described by the error message you have :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:32:23 AM »
Yeah--as Fizzii said, this should be able to be easily fixed with a few tweaks to the winsetup file in the QFI directory.  I have the same problem with certain resolutions--it's not about the power of your video card; it's just a quirk of the way AGS works with certain systems. 

Search on your computer and find where it's installed, and then look for a file called winsetupQFI.exe.  That file will launch a small GUI that will let you select different display options.  If you want more customization options, use the winsetup.exe file located in the same directory.

If you're playing on Steam, you can easily find the game directory by right-clicking the QFI file in Steam, selecting Properties, then the Local Files tab, and then the Browse Local Files button.

Let us know if you need further help!

Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I can't play the game :(
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
Have you tried running the winsetup file located in your Quest for Infamy directory? Try toggling the various options as described by the error message you have :)

How do I "run the winset file located in my quest for infamy directory?"  Please explain it to me like I'm a slow-witted retarded man.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »
Is this the Steam copy, humble or gog?

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »
Did you purchase the game on Steam or through another store?

If in steam, right click on the game title in your library and go to Properties then local Files and Browse Local Files. You should then see the winsetup.exe and winsetupQFI.exe. Open winsetupQFI.exe and select different resolutions until it works for your machine.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Re: Re: I can't play the game :(
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:26 AM »

How do I "run the winset file located in my quest for infamy directory?"  Please explain it to me like I'm a slow-witted retarded man.

Did you read my post?  :)  Double-click the winsetupQFI.exe file in the game's directory.  It will give you several options to adjust screen resolution, switch to windowed or full screen mode, etc.  It's very likely that you just need to figure out which set of display options is compatible with your system.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:33 AM »
640x480 fullscreen is generally the most compatible for playing full screen.

The games aspect ratio is 4:3, so yes - black bars on the side are normal.

Bt

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Thank you, it works now!

So... I clicked the bottom resolution.  Is the game playable on more than 1 resolution?

And, if so, is there a "best" resolution which I should be aiming for?

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Re: I can't play the game :(
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
Thank you, it works now!

So... I clicked the bottom resolution.  Is the game playable on more than 1 resolution?

And, if so, is there a "best" resolution which I should be aiming for?

It really just depends on your system.  There's not really a "best" resolution--the backgrounds will always be pixelated 320x240 resolution images.  The only thing a higher display resolution affects is sharpness of the pixels and the scaling of sprites (if you have that option selected in the winsetup.)

In short, no, not really.  :)