Author Topic: Any plans on a sequel? And any new patches?  (Read 21263 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Any plans on a sequel? And any new patches?
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »
Any plans on a sequel?  I enjoyed the game a lot so I'd love to be able to play the next game in the series.

Also, any more plans on new patches?  I must have spent 70+ hours on the game's initial patch so I'm probably going to wait til all the patches are out before playing again.

Also, did they patch it so that Roehm can finally do something with that one worm scale?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Any plans on a sequel? And any new patches?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:33:51 AM »
There's plans around for a sequel, it won't be our next game I can say that at this point. We'd want to see what the sales over a six month period at least were as to whether we could afford to make a second one.

The first (and hopefully only) patch for the game is nearing completion. I've smashed all the bugs, Steve's working on  couple of additional scenes that are nearly done. Then we'll test it and make sure it's good to go.

The worm scale already has a function.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
What's the function?

I remember a couple of us players tested it like crazy then a dev said something like that it's bugged out and doesn't work and it'd be workable in the next patch.

I remember a dev saying something about "water" then saying "oh crap, it's bugged!"

Maybe you're supposed to be able to choke the Kraken to death by tossing it in his throat?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »
The function is to annoy people who try to get it to do something useful.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »
Geeze, you guys are so cryptic about puzzles....

Anyway, I hope QFI sells.  Even if not, I hope you do another Kickstarter and make a sequel that's even more badass than the first.  Just fix up the combat some (QFG 2 VGA on steroids essentially) and it should be a huge hit. :)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:03:04 AM »
(1) We're cryptic about puzzles because adventure games are about a story and puzzles are a major part of piecing the story together, so to give away the solution to a puzzle outright defeats the purpose of playing the game in the first place. That's why we're cryptic and don't just say "Go to point A, click on object B and watch scene C."

(2) The story of the worm scale. Originally the necromancer quest was somewhat longer and involved getting more pieces for the Frankenstein monster. The worm scale was such a piece. The worm room was going to be a puzzle where giant worms came in and out of the holes in the ground and in a time-based way Roehm was going to be able to kill them by stabbing them at the exact right moment they appeared. We didn't get a chance to do all the animations for this as they would have been quite large and unique to this scene. The scale inventory item was left in the game by accident, I think at one point I was going to just have the player pick it up off one of the dead bodies (the part of the animation which was done, and is included in the game) but I decided against doing that because I tried to stay away from more "collect objects lying around" puzzles because we'd already done a lot of them with the Sorcerer quests. But I missed that I'd already scripted the inventory item part, which I should have removed.

Speaking to Steve today, I can confirm the new quests in the patch will make the scale useful.

(3) I don't think we'd do another Kickstarter. They're not successful for adventure games really at the moment, some good ones have significantly failed in recent months. That's not to say we wouldn't do a sequel, but it would be a more traditional funding model.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »
Yep!  My esteemed compadre, Klytos, has answered all the questions in a most excellent manner.

I would love to make a sequel, but as Klytos said - we wouldn't Kickstart it.  It would also probably be smaller and more focused; QFI was the dream game we wanted to make, but it's really not financially feasible to do something so large.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »

(2) The story of the worm scale. Originally the necromancer quest was somewhat longer and involved getting more pieces for the Frankenstein monster. The worm scale was such a piece. The worm room was going to be a puzzle where giant worms came in and out of the holes in the ground and in a time-based way Roehm was going to be able to kill them by stabbing them at the exact right moment they appeared.

Ha!  Instead of "Whack-a-mole", it would have been "Whack-a-worm"!   ;D

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
why wouldnt you kickstart it ???
we all would gladly pitch the dough!
or is it that the ks last run didnt do well?

would u ks the next  ahem.. game which we all seem to know what it is! ooo excitement!
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »
You have no idea what our next game is because we don't know 100% yet.

The qfi kick starter went really well, but a lot of subsequent projects which were just as, or more than, worthy have failed. In short, the kickstarted bubble has burst, I don't think we would be successful even asking for 50k now (which wouldn't be enough anyway). A lot of projects people backed when we did qfi still haven't delivered, that's a big reason people aren't backing. I think some of the old adventure game creators saw it as a cash cow and that didn't help. There's a lot of others too though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
You have no idea what our next game is because we don't know 100% yet.

The qfi kick starter went really well, but a lot of subsequent projects which were just as, or more than, worthy have failed. In short, the kickstarted bubble has burst, I don't think we would be successful even asking for 50k now (which wouldn't be enough anyway). A lot of projects people backed when we did qfi still haven't delivered, that's a big reason people aren't backing. I think some of the old adventure game creators saw it as a cash cow and that didn't help. There's a lot of others too though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aww..
as for the next game well if you beat QFI .. ahem well I wont spoil that, and yea I know its an unknown variable I didnt want to seem like I knew what was coming just a few guesses that I wont post here. :P
you know what I mean though!

as for KS the bubble didnt burrrstt :P  I think you would be successful at getting 100K+ if so desired,
just need word of mouth, as Ive missed so many KS's that I just DIDNT know about, even QFI.

anyway looking forward to helping in anyway shape or form to get your teams creative awesomeness to more games even if its in mixes of studios
corrigan for example is a busy busy beee
im sure you all are for the most part!

Just hope we as fans helped enough to make you feel qfi was a success not a failure or just a neutral zone

da neutral zonneeee like in star trek.. aww

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:57 PM »
Sorry but I disagree about Kickstarter. A short list of recent worthy adventure games that have failed at KS funding.

* The Black Glove - less than 50%
* One Final Breath - barely at 10%
* The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - less than 50%
* Kaptain Brawe 2 - about half their funding

* The interactive adventures of Dog Mendonca and Pizzaboy barely made their $30k.
* Her Majesties Spiffing COULD make it, I have my doubts, although the last few days of a KS usually give a boost so it may make it.

Plus the Jim Walls one was a failure, as well as David Crane's one. People were also disillusioned by some of the big name projects not delivering. Double Fine split a million dollar KS game into two parts. Still waiting on the other big dollar ones like SpaceVenture and Hero-U. Both will be fantastic I think but we're talking two years on from the Kickstarters now and they raised a lot of money.

I think there's a lot of apprehension about backing adventures on KS at the moment.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
any clue on the KS downside? maybe just to many out there and not enough funds in the fans to sport funding for all?

dexter ward didnt make the limit?! noooooooooooooo

ahh nuts..

I didnt know this ty klytos for the KS update, still dont give up on it, have ye talked to serena about this?
ahem I mean KSV? about whats up or what not, maybe ill chat her and see what up lately

(the one thats in your bar in QFI is who im talkin about) :P

so do you mean the next game will be free ware or .. like funded in other means ?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
Yeah, I was bummed about Charles Dexter too, the guy behind that is a good bloke and a friend and I think it would have truly been a brilliant game. As for KS in general, I think it will bounce back but at the moment there's the afterglow of a lot of people throwing a lot of money at something new and shiny and then realising what they've done. Plus I think a few of the high profile games have been underwhelming, plus as I said, a few of the big names from the golden days haven't delivered yet.

God no our next game won't be freeware. Freeware and too-cheap games (plus in-purchase apps) are killing the industry (not just adventure games, the whole gaming industry.) That's not a slight against the games themselves some of which are brilliant, but since the Apple store was created with 99c games, look at what's happened to the whole gaming industry. Your big games still sell, GTA and all that, and your free games move of course (they're free!) but the middle brackets between $15 and $30? Dead. People are now expecting games to be free or practically free and that model is simply not sustainable. People can't work for nothing.

It's about value, and the value simply based on inputs (artwork, time, music, promotion etc) for a game like QFI is easily more than the $20 we retail at but people aren't willing to fork out $20 for a game. I mean, this is the price of 2 Big Mac meals, it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. I spend more than that on Pepsi a fortnight. There was a shitstorm of complaint about J.U.L.I.A at $20 recently too, and that's crazy saying that's not worth $20, it's fucking amazing.

There's my observations on the industry of late.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »

It's about value, and the value simply based on inputs (artwork, time, music, promotion etc) for a game like QFI is easily more than the $20 we retail at but people aren't willing to fork out $20 for a game. I mean, this is the price of 2 Big Mac meals, it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. I spend more than that on Pepsi a fortnight. There was a shitstorm of complaint about J.U.L.I.A at $20 recently too, and that's crazy saying that's not worth $20, it's fucking amazing.

1. so how would the next game be made? pos backing? or just retail box or digi only with no awesome swag!?

2. hell what? julia ROCKS, id have paid 40 for that game, sure beats the new borderlands
just amazing that game!

3. Well I hope for the best, and support yall just would be nice to get non digi stuff, I dislike the pure digi era.
example is the GOLD RUSH revamp, which my CE wood box is comin soon + a bonus TEE that kinda looks like the old sierra kq one only its Jerrod!
whoop whoop

sad I missed out on the qfi shirt but shrug hoodie incoming whenever the backerkits and ks stuff comes in.

idk thats so true about people wanting 1-4$ games or free
Personally I like odd stuff  even the 20 min game JOURNAL for 6$ it was before a sale, I loved the idea
not much to it... but really great

Id just hate to see this awesome scene die out into the dl this digi game only
even gamestop went to digi dls mainly on most pc games, grrr
I want real stuff I can hold and smell and touch. I think most of your crew do also share that, as you love most of the same games that came with rich swag!

whoop

anyway ty for that update and, yea sad world but great era..
Do you think xbox dorks made this impact of free to low cost games? since thats kinda when it all started making small games on xbox etc. Now its mobile games on pc and most are just total poo

COLLIDER for example shouldnt have been released on any platform just the mobile yet there it is on steam.. pfftt

EDIT: 20$ bucks in this day in age is nothing, again thats why I backed the game(better late than never)
its WORTH 100$ to me as a retail game imo, and 50$ as a digi only
 :)
thats what I think its worth 100$ !!
it went on sale and not many people seemed to get it on steam or.. the other sale site(forgot the name)

whats WRONG with peopppleee!
their loss :( but man if its impacting other great games on KS or your future  CURSES

AND btw the SHROUD of avatar made like almost 2 million! how is that one doing so well?
still going tooo!