Author Topic: Frustrated with Prospero's Initiation Test? Here's a nifty solution!  (Read 5648 times)

DeadSuperHero

I don't know about some of you other folks, but initially I was pretty frustrated with Prospero's initiation test. At first, it seems nearly impossible to solve due to the fact that it's seemingly very random. How can mental acuity be tested by matching items that are always random? That's madness!

However, I was taught from a young age to fight fire with fire, so we will trade one evil for another in solving this test. That's right, we will be using some basic principals of probability (read: math) to outsmart the random placement of the cards. Take that, magic!

So, we already know the ground rules: If you mess up more than 3 times, you flunk the test.

There are 12 cards each, and each card needs to be matched with its identical twin, so really, what we're doing is sorting out 6 sets of 2 cards each. Each turn allows you to figure out what 2 cards are, and so you're bound to eventually find some matches on accident.

What you need to do is draw a grid matching the placement of the cards, so draw a grid with 4 rows going sideways, and 3 rows going down. Now, as you figure out each card's placement, write the first letter of each card on your grid so that you'll remember it later.

2 cards x 3 turns = 6 guaranteed opportunities to figure out card placements. It's worth noting that you can quickly find matches by marking up your grid as you pick the cards, thus increasing your amount of opportunities for matching by 2 every time a match is made.

Granted, this method might not get you all the cards every single time you do the test, but I've found it to be pretty useful in figuring out the parameters of the card placements.

Happy hunting!

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated with Prospero's Initiation Test? Here's a nifty solution!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
I thought this one was programmed so you'd always get it exactly on the last try. At least, I always have.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »
I thought this one was programmed so you'd always get it exactly on the last try. At least, I always have.

I failed numerous times in Demo 2.0.  I would get the first 2 sets with 4 different cards, then on the third pick, I'd get one of the last 2 "unknowns" and then one from the first 4.   :-[

Definitely some "luck" involved in this one...

The one that gets me is the Brigand drinking game.  The last choice seems to be 50%/50% of choosing correctly for me...

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Heh...yep--I actually think that's a pretty ingenious aspect of the brigand game.  It's my favorite of the 3 trials in the demo definitely.  I think it pretty accurately simulates the feel of gradually losing control, until you get to the point where you literally have to take a guess.  With it being 50/50, it's not like you won't get it after a few tries.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
I usually get it first time. Go through the cards in order and memorize what they are, as long as you get a pair by the third time through (cards 5 and 6) you should know where everything else is.

A B C D
B E C F
F A D E

so with six different cards you draw them in order A B no match C D no match B E - we know where B is. C F we know where C is... F A we know where F and A are and we know the rest.

If you don't get a match by the 5th and 6th card then it's impossible but do it by this method and you'll get it soon.

The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
I start with the first and second cards, memorize them, move on to three and four - if one matches, I match it up.  If not, I memorize and move on.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Sektor

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »
I played it 3 times and passed each time just going in order and removing memorized pairs as I go (writing positions down would be no fun).

I failed the brigand test many times.

Jerminator

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:14:06 AM »
Yeah I'm the same, Prospero's test proved a pretty easy challenge. I just would pick the cards in a row and remember each card as I went and wouldn't pick the same card twice unless I knew I had the match. It works every time. Just a simple memory game and by far my favorite test.

The brigand on the other hand was pretty frustrating. As I imagine any drinking game might be based on pure in take, especially against a huge brute MF'er like Kurdt. That shit takes some balls. I made Roehm puke several times, and not just because I love the animation.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
I just use the load button personally.

mohsinj677

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »
 8) This post is so Great and Nice  :-*

:)  The brigand on the other hand was pretty frustrating. As I imagine any drinking game might be based on pure in take, especially against a huge brute MF'er like Kurdt. That shit takes some balls. I made Roehm puke several times, and not just because I love the animation.  :-\