Author Topic: Kickstarter Hits and Misses.  (Read 6388 times)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
Kickstarter Hits and Misses.
« on: September 05, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
Since the advent of the Kickstarter craze, I have seen some wonderful Projects.  I could list them but the ones that stand out speak for themselves.  The majority of projects I have supported with my money have turned out well.  However some have not.  Kickstarters are a gamble to say the least.  The creators look to the masses to fund their project.  As backers we have no idea what the individual, or individuals come from, only that they have a cool idea and need our money to make a dream a reality.  From the actual product to the KS rewards, we take a chance, that the end product might just suck, be awesome, or not get finished at all.  Point in case I supported a KS that took in as much money as Quest for infamy.  Sadly the designer didn't have the design skills, financial wherewithal or managerial skills to make the project come to completion.  He spent the backers money on a house in the Midwest, and the project died.  So im out a 100 bucks, which sucks.  I haven't supported any KS lately.  Some I have, and im still waiting for, (SpaceVenture/Hero U).  At the very least I KNOW that the folks who RUN Infamous Quests are reliable and keep their promises.  I can only hope the future is a bright one for those here.  IF not its been a great run.  Thank you all.:)   Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter Hits and Misses.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
 I agree with you, Chadly -- we don't have to worry about games coming out from the good folks at Infamous Quests.

In my "The Future of Infamous Quests" post,

http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?topic=2063.0

...I mentioned that IQ has put out 2 games and has 2 more in various states of development/completion.  No one can take that away from these fine blokes!

Aside from IQ games, I have only supported three others; I refer to them as "The Trifecta," and we're still waiting for them:

• Mage's Initiation (Himalaya Studios, Inc.)
• SpaceVenture (Two Guys From Andromeda)
• Hero U: Rouge To Redemption (Corey & Lori Cole)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 11:14:03 PM »
I'm in the same boat Goatmeal. I've supported all three of those. I think SV might be the only one that will break into a larger market and be successful. Mage's will be great, but I don't know how many sales it's going to make to be considered successful when it's been nearly a decade in production. I do have faith that Chris and the Himalaya team will deliver a good adventure game though! Hero-U, I have no idea about anymore.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »
I will buy Mage's Initiation when it comes out.  SV I have backed and will buy a copy for friends.  Hero U, which is from the Coles, I supported twice and I will buy for friends, as the org, Hero's Quest is my all time favorite game of the sierra timeline.  I just want RTR and Fortress of Fire to be a success as I don't want the fine folks of Infamous Quests to go the way of the dinosaur. ( And yes I will be buying copies of both RTR and FOF, for me). 
**********Chadly*********************

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »
Guys -- I have a confession to make:

It's my fault Hero-U isn't out yet.

I only supported their first Kickstarter, but the Coles didn't get me again for round two.

I realize only now that if I had bothered to support the second KS as well, that MY contribution would have been the tiny pebble that turned into the avalanche of game completion that we are all waiting for...

My deepest and most humble apologies for the resulting delay.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »
Hahahaha. I'm in the same boat man.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

shoptroll

• Lackey
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:00:28 PM »
It's ok.  I suffered for both of your sins and backed the second round.  If Hero-U and SV actually release that'd be cool, but at this point I'm not really following either of them that closely.  In both cases I'd really love to see a post-mortem on the KS campaigns and the development processes since both the Coles and the 2GFA had to build up new teams from scratch and are riding on successes from 15+ years ago

I'm really looking forward to Mage's Initiation though, they had a solid demo when they launched their campaign and I guess I'm a bit more partial to really well done sprite and 2D art these days.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
SV's release date is this month. They said there would be a KS update very soonish. Not sure what it will entail. They've not said anything yet about delaying, but they still could.

Mage's Initiation is in alpha/beta testing phase right now. Lots of bug reports coming in and getting fixed all the time. You'll probably see it in 2017, in my own personal opinion.