Author Topic: Post Kickstarter Update  (Read 26582 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Post Kickstarter Update
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
Hey Guys!

So, this is the second post Kickstarter update for Quest For Infamy.  Honestly, not a lot of really super interesting things are going on - as this is the stage where we gird up our loins, and try and put everything in order!

I mean, it's exciting to me - and to us - people are busily working on assignments.  Right now, Shawn, Chuck and I are working on programming stuff to ensure the game's mechanics work right - you know, our day/night system, the mechanics of the stat system, the magic system, etc.  Getting more ground work done so that the game functions properly.  I hear people like properly functioning games, so that's what we're aiming for here.  Hah!

James has been pumping out musical themes, ideas and sketches.  He's one creative dude.  I know he derives much of his inspiration from the art work that Jeremy has been sketching up, and from the amazing artwork that Ivan, Jon and Jason have been turning in.  They're turned in even more since last update - I'd love to show you more, but I do have to save some surprises for later.  Let's just say it's inspiring me - I'm having a ball working on plot elements and working out puzzles.  I've actually been reading an old puzzle book I found in my book collection, and it's been giving me ideas.  I remember picking up this dusty tome from a local Rescue Mission store years ago.  I had a penchant for buying used books in my youth, and now all my shelves are stocked AND I have boxes and boxes of books... probably why there's a giant library in our Port City of Tyr in the game - I have a real love for books and an affection for giant libraries.

Jenny is back from a much deserved break post Kickstarter.  Let me tell you, she's one of the hardest working girls in the business.  And she's all business - she came home, saw the assignment list I had posted, and has immediately started tacking portraits for the game.

Heh.  I'm getting really excited about all of this.  Things are still moving an easy pace as we try and get set up.  On the clerical side of things, I'm working on the Database set up for all the information we'll be getting from you - as surveys will be sent out WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 22nd.  I know they're not going to be very big - just some pertinent info like your address for shipping the physical rewards, t-shirt sizes, etc - but processing almost 1,700 of them is a decent task, and I want to make sure I get it right.

I do love to hear from you all - and on Monday, August 27th, we'll be launching the backers forums as well, where you can get more exclusive content and other goodies.

Also, our Pay Pal is still open, and will be for the first several months of production - and Big Boxes are still available.  If you're interested in upgrading your pledge to get a higher tier reward, please contact me and you can do so via Pay Pal.  You can find the PayPal link at www.infamous-quests.com as well.

I also want to give a shout out to a friend of Infamous Quests - Warbird Games and their project "Jack Houston and the Necronauts"  We became friendly with Stacy Davidson during our campaign, and I personally love his vision for the game, his passion for adventure games, and his dedication to the genre.  This game looks like it will be really special, and I'm very excited for it - they have just SEVEN days left to fund it, so if you haven't gone over and looked, peep it here -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts

I can say you'd be supporting a great team, and a great game - and by supporting games like this, you're also supporting this community of independent adventure game developers.  We're all just excited to make games for people like you, who want to play them, and I, for one, am enthralled at the sense of community we are building.

As always, as I sign out, I cannot stop to thank each and every one of you who pledged and backed us.  We're so committed to making an awesome game, that it literally pours out of us everyday.  It's messy.  There's a lot of cleaning up... but anyway, thank you.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
Re: Post Kickstarter Update
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
Great to see that work is progressing.  Thanks for the update and the shout-out to Jack Houston.  I've already backed it, but still might up it towards the end.  I love seeing how close a lot of these adventure game developers have become.  It brings a tear to my eye.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
It makes the whole process much more enjoyable for us as well, Serena :)  We get so much support, encouragement and inspiration from others in the industry and I love the fact that we are able to give that back too.  We've made a lot of great friends along the way, both game developing peers and backers/supporters.  Group hug!
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Liked: 2
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:43:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm deeply backed into Jack Houston.  It's amazing, and Warbird Games ideas are so creative.  I, too, would be heartbroken to see it fail for lack of funds.

So... Great Library of Tyr!  I hope it will be sprawling and dusty, lots of fat, thick candles burnt low with wax rivulets solidified in little columns as though candle upon candle had been continually stacked there for hundreds of years.  And, speaking of stacks... stacks and precarious stacks of books of all sizes and thicknesses could line up in ad-hoc rows, forming walk-pathing barriers, except the stack that Roehm topples, grabbing the one book he needs from near the bottom to advance his Sorcerer's path.  Also, I'd love to see wall sections of honeycombed scroll-cubbies, as in a wine store, but instead of the bottles, scrolls tightly stuffed in each compartment, in various states of wear from newly scribed to crumbling.  Of course, there would need to be organized sections, as it is a proper library, each neatly categorized and shelved floor-to-ceiling section equipped with stout ladders spaced equidistantly, including a rare/special tome section (which may need to be snuck into to retrieve an item in the course of a quest to advance his Rogue's path).

Or whatever you folks had in mind.  That would be cool, too.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Portrait Lead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Great ideas, s_d!  Much the same as I envision for the library myself actually.  I love games with libraries in them, so much promise :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
I like going to the library.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Monster

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »
I am so excited for you all.  While it is sad to see some plans fade into obscurity, new plans arise to take their place.  I think I'll have a lot more fun exploring the worlds that you create than I would have had wandering around remakes of worlds I already know (as satisfying as that would be).

Congratulations to all of you on your successful Kickstarter campaign.  I look forward to seeing the development of this project (which I've been following for years) and future projects.

This is a promising time for adventure gaming, and IQ is certainly among those leading the pack.

:D

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
Great ideas, s_d!  Much the same as I envision for the library myself actually.  I love games with libraries in them, so much promise :)

Same here, I have this vision in my head about making the library the biggest library in the land, and as a result, the library becomes the obligatory maze level.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Portrait Lead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Haha brilliant! I love it :)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
Hi all.  All is quiet this last week from the BIG Bosses!???  Are they on vacation? Are they hard at work? Are they tired of my questions? Lol :)  Release the new Demo before i go CRazy! ;)
**********Chadly*********************

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
Here is a idea for the library.  Have a hidden secret section that is found by getting clues from the books themselves.  Like the catacombs in "The Last Crusade."  Perhaps put a homage to Indy on the walls like Henry was here, or X marks the spot. :D
**********Chadly*********************

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »
While I'm all about secret passages and solving puzzles to FIND secret passages, I really think that the "secret passage in the library accessed by flipping around or arranging coded book titles" has been done to death in these games.  AGDI did it in KQ2+ AND KQ3, QFG4 did it, and that's just the first three that come to mind.  I think we can do better, frankly.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »
While I'm all about secret passages and solving puzzles to FIND secret passages, I really think that the "secret passage in the library accessed by flipping around or arranging coded book titles" has been done to death in these games.  AGDI did it in KQ2+ AND KQ3, QFG4 did it, and that's just the first three that come to mind.  I think we can do better, frankly.  :)

You could have a massive, expansive library design layed-out in a maze-like fashion.  The perspective is looking out over it from a hundred feet in the air, like the warehouse at the end of "Raiders".  Mister Roehm is only a few pixels high in the corner.

Your task?  Find one particular book.  And there are tens of thousands of books.

And the entire screen is clickable.

The pay-off?  No matter where you click on the endless stacks of books to look, Mr Roehm doesn't move at all.  Instead, he simply says, "Oh, here's the book I've been tasked with finding, right infront of me."  He grabs the book, turns and walks off-screen.

...Thus summarily negating the highly-anticipated "library book/document search puzzle" trope !   ;D

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »
The pay-off?  No matter where you click on the endless stacks of books to look, Mr Roehm doesn't move at all.  Instead, he simply says, "Oh, here's the book I've been tasked with finding, right infront of me."  He grabs the book, turns and walks off-screen.

...Thus summarily negating the highly-anticipated "library book/document search puzzle" trope !   ;D

You sadistic bastard.  I love the idea!   ;D
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."