Author Topic: Is Roehm to ruin rp like qfi?  (Read 13350 times)

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
Is Roehm to ruin rp like qfi?
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:06 AM »
Roehm to ruin rp like qfi? Can I play it from start to finish yet? It have stats and such? Good for 3 hors play at least?Lol I am the only really active member of this forum....Who likes to chat about qfi.

I could discuss this game for hours, so much to cover. I have prob played 1.1 more than some of the people that made the game.  110+ hours. I truly am the biggest infamy fan, as for as playing...lol

Prob because I am a glory fan of old and have got nothing new for years. Gaming is a major hobby with me as you can gather, playing and discussion.

A new take on quest for glory is a major big deal for me, and playing the flip side of the hero is something I wanted to do for 10 years. I am not really this entusastic about most games.

I post alot but none of it is really spam, mostly I have something to say...or its fun stuff. If some of it seems repetitive its because of lack of active disscusion as a realtivly new fan of infamos quests.

Yeah I  am a little free with my advice but why not? 1 billion citizens of volksvile dont care. (though maybe they do in tyr...at least that weird guy on the docks)....but yeah I  tend to hold forth like a drunken oracle, but that just means I'm excited, really excited about the game.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Is Roehm to ruin rp like qfi?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »
Roehm to Ruin isn't finished so sorry, you can't play it from start to finish. The demo that's out there is barely held together because we made it in two weeks for a competition. In fact, the demo is in 256 colours whereas the finished product will be in 24-bit. We don't really have a playtime on it yet (it's not finished :) ) but I would estimate a few hours to get through it start to end.

It will have RP elements same as QFI, but the thing to remember is it's set before QFI so Roehm hasn't classed yet so his abilities are lower. That said each puzzle in the game will have multiple solutions which will be fun. There's one encounter at the start of the game that's got four different solutions that markedly affect the outcome depending on which way you handle it. Sorry for being vague but I don't want to give away the plot points of an unreleased game!

A lot of gamers don't really hang around on forums anymore, we've certainly seen a dropoff in regular posters in the decade or more we've been doing this. I remember when we released our King's Quest 3 remake in the mid 2000's there were hundreds of new posts a day. I guess the advent of social media has moved a lot of the banter off the forums and onto facebook and twitter. I know I interact with a lot of people each day through those than on here. We do get a spike around here on the release of a new game but all the posts are usually a bug (or what someone thinks is a bug when in fact they've just missed something) or a quick "Thanks, it's great!" It's a shame in some ways, forum life used to be really fun! But times a-change!

I'm very happy you're excited about QFI, it is a great game and I'm damn proud of it. I know Steve and the rest of the team who worked over 2 years on it are too!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »
Add the fact that roeadventue32 was late in "finding" the game, almost 10 months after it was first released.

There was a lot activity and discussion for the few 2–3 months (July–September 2014), followed by the natural precipitous drop-off of contributors that Klytos mentioned.

QFI is likely "old news" to them as they've moved on to the next AAA/Indie/Kickstarter game for their current gaming "fix"...

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
such is the way of any medium lol

but at least roe found us/ ya all :)

and yea i loved playing that buggy demo hehe
was wicked good times

to be honest though mate dont hope for another qfi
i hear its going to be more a highlights book for kids hehehe

find the tennis racket etc, hidden object ftw?

at the start of the supreme league of patriots game lol funny game but kinda boring, but very very funny
at the start it shoots about 30 items into your living room and says ok time to find the items, woah woah wait a minute this isnt a hidden object game lol

good times those games too are phoenix studios just a diff dev,  think american dad meets a telltale adventure(the good telltale advents not the poo ones)

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:07:54 AM »
Hope you don't mind if I ask a tiny question in this thread. It's about the portraits in RtR: I really like the portaits in QfI, I think they have much expression, and especially Roehm has a well fitting face. Compared to these, the portraits in the competition-version don't have much character in my opinion - they are not bad, but simply not on the same level of expression as in QfI. May I ask if there will be different portraits in the final game?

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »
I like the qfi community Kaldire goatmeal and others, pretty cool.

From the 2 comments it sounds like its trying to go mainstream, thats horribly sad. qfi is awesome but now I think that was a one shot deal.  :( For more of the same it will prob have to be a fan project years from now. Dudes I hope I'm wrong but, I think I see where this is going. Qfi was a tribute and now its over.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. If 2 turns out to be like that new kings quest thing, with the disturbing kid/doll/ps3 king ghram, and log jumping with a toystory pixar look I doubt I would like it. I am no longer a child and I was never that sort of child.

Still you guys gave us qfi, so I wont speak aginst you ever, it took real talent imagination and skill, not to mention indeviguality and creativity to make it. You guys made a work of true genus. A new cult classic. Infamy will always have a place in gaming history, its well infamos...the only other word for it is cool.

When I first played it, I was like, theses guys geti t. Its a real game, after years of shite...I was like...amazing.

I got almost every refrence you made, thats not common for me. In most recent games, I am like what? In qfi, I was like therse guys are cool, they rock...and the rocks not alternative but the real deal, they actully have balls...will wonders never sease.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »
QFI2, when we make it, will be in a similar vein to QFI, stats, combat, multiple solutions, traditional p&c iconbar - all the stuff that helps make QFI great. QFI2 will be made, it's certainly not on the horizon for the next year or so, but it'll happen. You have to understand that QFI because of it's nature is a long process to make. That game took us 2 years to make, and 10 years before that thinking and writing it. We simply can't afford to spend two years working on the next one right now because the profits from QFI barely cover buying toilet paper. We need to have a couple of games out there so we are making enough money so we can afford to make QFI2.

We're not trying to go mainstream, we love making indie games, and it's not a one-shot deal. But not every game we make is going to be a retro throwback where most things in it reference something from 20 years ago. QFI did and we're proud of that and we'll build on that in QFI2. But we need to make a game that's enjoyable enough for more than 25 people to buy. I don't expect to sell a million copies of Order of the Thorne, but we have to sell more than a couple of hundred. Reality is we need money to live and keep doing this. That's the bottom line. Plus as I've said before, I would actually go on a killing spree (not really...) if I had to dive straight into making a second QFI. Two years living and breathing it is enough for the moment. We like a lot of different things and doing something different between QFI1 and QFI2 is what's needed for our sanity.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 08:42:01 AM »
Hope you don't mind if I ask a tiny question in this thread. It's about the portraits in RtR: I really like the portaits in QfI, I think they have much expression, and especially Roehm has a well fitting face. Compared to these, the portraits in the competition-version don't have much character in my opinion - they are not bad, but simply not on the same level of expression as in QfI. May I ask if there will be different portraits in the final game?

Hey, not at all! I love questions!

They're the style of portrait in Roehm to Ruin, although they'll be animated of course. You'd be surprised how much more alive they feel when they're animated.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »
QFI2, when we make it, will be in a similar vein to QFI, stats, combat, multiple solutions, traditional p&c iconbar - all the stuff that helps make QFI great. QFI2 will be made, it's certainly not on the horizon for the next year or so, but it'll happen. You have to understand that QFI because of it's nature is a long process to make. That game took us 2 years to make, and 10 years before that thinking and writing it. We simply can't afford to spend two years working on the next one right now because the profits from QFI barely cover buying toilet paper. We need to have a couple of games out there so we are making enough money so we can afford to make QFI2.

We're not trying to go mainstream, we love making indie games, and it's not a one-shot deal. But not every game we make is going to be a retro throwback where most things in it reference something from 20 years ago. QFI did and we're proud of that and we'll build on that in QFI2. But we need to make a game that's enjoyable enough for more than 25 people to buy. I don't expect to sell a million copies of Order of the Thorne, but we have to sell more than a couple of hundred. Reality is we need money to live and keep doing this. That's the bottom line. Plus as I've said before, I would actually go on a killing spree (not really...) if I had to dive straight into making a second QFI. Two years living and breathing it is enough for the moment. We like a lot of different things and doing something different between QFI1 and QFI2 is what's needed for our sanity.

Ok, I get you. I suggest making something like kq7 then, with a little bit more interactivity and just a bit more edgy, that will likely sell. Yeah I see how you could burned out and need something fresh to work. As far as Roehm, your probobly had enough of the gentelman for now. I can see how that can happen.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Well not completely enough! We're still doing roehm to ruin lol

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
Well not completely enough! We're still doing roehm to ruin lol
Question, did making the game take away from your enjoyment in playing it, did constructing it kill the fantasy fun? Knowing the VA'S coding it kill the magic? hmmm?

Also....

I can seriously see how someone could get burned out on something as a gamer I know just playing, as a reader reading, you have to come back to it again later. To its maker...it must be x 10.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »
Also, to produce Quest For Infamy 2, we'd need a bigger budget than we had with QFI, for sure.  I don't know if that kind of funding is out there an available to people like us, so we're hoping we can do some decent sales on our next set of games to help fund production of QFI2.

I really want to do - we have the story, and many concepts done.  There is more of Roehm's story to tell, and I really hope we can someday.

Bt

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
Sometimes it really does burn you out, it didn't completely with me for QFI, I need to walk away for a while but I still love it. King's Quest 3 destroyed the game for me, I still can't play it to this day and we're talking many years later. Space Quest 2 on the other hand I still love.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 12:13:24 AM »
Also, to produce Quest For Infamy 2, we'd need a bigger budget than we had with QFI, for sure.  I don't know if that kind of funding is out there an available to people like us, so we're hoping we can do some decent sales on our next set of games to help fund production of QFI2.

I really want to do - we have the story, and many concepts done.  There is more of Roehm's story to tell, and I really hope we can someday.

Bt

Man there is so much cool stuff I could think of for you to put in part 2....sigh. Any content updates planed for qfi 1? one can dream.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:11 AM »
Not really, we'll fix a few bugs before the tablet release but that's probably it.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
Not really, we'll fix a few bugs before the tablet release but that's probably it.

Why not put in a few of the cool suggestions I made in privious threads to make it even more infamous? The would be almost universaly welcom and might help qfi on your back list? I cant beliave you only sold 25 games.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »

Why not put in a few of the cool suggestions I made in privious threads to make it even more infamous? The would be almost universaly welcom and might help qfi on your back list? I cant beliave you only sold 25 games.

It's not that easy just to "insert" a few new things into the games (vast programming, art, music, speech, and beta-testing elements are needed).  At this point: BIG effort = little payback.

And again, by playing version 1.1 first, it looks like you missed the "new stuff for the update" phase of QFI; they DID add the three new rooms for the 1.1 update that were not in 1.0...

Lastly, I believe the "25 games" comment was an exaggeration, and should not be taken as a "serious" number.  Klytos likely used an absurdly low number to drive home that fact that the QFG-style game -- while there are superfans out there -- is still definitely a niche (i.e., tiny/minuscule) market compared to other types of adventure games, let alone video games in general.

If there is such a clamor for QFG-style games, there would be dozens and dozens of similar adventure-RPG hybrids games out there.  For the last 20 years, however, there are only two that come to mind: Quest For Infamy and Heroine's Quest, and both of those are just within the last year or so.

It makes MORE sense to design other adventure games that expand your fan base, so you can sell more games.  In turn, you can make enough in revenue so to make another game that may not make as much money.  It's like movies: giant blockbusters help pay for the smaller indie movies that may not make economic sense in the long run, but are still important in their own right and should be made.

Plus, branching out is important because people -- designers and gamers -- have different interests.  Sierra didn't make only King's Quest games; LucasArts didn't keep remaking Maniac Mansion.  They made different games to appeal to more and more people.

And, with an expanded fan-base, that means more adventure game fans might have more exposure and be more apt to take a chance on a QFG-style game by a company with a proven, successful track record, rather than trying a first game sight-unseen:

"Quest For Infamy 2?  Oh, it's from the guys who made the Order of the Thorne. I liked those -- I'll give QFI2 a try!"

as opposed to

"What's Quest For Infamy?  Who are Infamous Quests?  It's their first game?  I'll pass..."

And with its long and storied 10+ year history, just be happy that QFI was ever able to be made in the first place...

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »

It's not that easy just to "insert" a few new things into the games (vast programming, art, music, speech, and beta-testing elements are needed).  At this point: BIG effort = little payback.

And again, by playing version 1.1 first, it looks like you missed the "new stuff for the update" phase of QFI; they DID add the three new rooms for the 1.1 update that were not in 1.0...

Lastly, I believe the "25 games" comment was an exaggeration, and should not be taken as a "serious" number.  Klytos likely used an absurdly low number to drive home that fact that the QFG-style game -- while there are superfans out there -- is still definitely a niche (i.e., tiny/minuscule) market compared to other types of adventure games, let alone video games in general.

If there is such a clamor for QFG-style games, there would be dozens and dozens of similar adventure-RPG hybrids games out there.  For the last 20 years, however, there are only two that come to mind: Quest For Infamy and Heroine's Quest, and both of those are just within the last year or so.

It makes MORE sense to design other adventure games that expand your fan base, so you can sell more games.  In turn, you can make enough in revenue so to make another game that may not make as much money.  It's like movies: giant blockbusters help pay for the smaller indie movies that may not make economic sense in the long run, but are still important in their own right and should be made.

Plus, branching out is important because people -- designers and gamers -- have different interests.  Sierra didn't make only King's Quest games; LucasArts didn't keep remaking Maniac Mansion.  They made different games to appeal to more and more people.

And, with an expanded fan-base, that means more adventure game fans might have more exposure and be more apt to take a chance on a QFG-style game by a company with a proven, successful track record, rather than trying a first game sight-unseen:

"Quest For Infamy 2?  Oh, it's from the guys who made the Order of the Thorne. I liked those -- I'll give QFI2 a try!"

as opposed to

"What's Quest For Infamy?  Who are Infamous Quests?  It's their first game?  I'll pass..."

And with its long and storied 10+ year history, just be happy that QFI was ever able to be made in the first place...

Hey mr. Goat, good points, yes indeedy...why dont you check out my new uncommented upon reasons thread ,you might have some ideas, ol pal of mine...for some fun things to try, by the by.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
Hey mr. Goat, good points, yes indeedy...why dont you check out my new uncommented upon reasons thread ,you might have some ideas, ol pal of mine...for some fun things to try, by the by.

I did see your post earlier today... the only problem is, I still haven't played version 1.1... at all!   :o  I've been really busy with work since January, and burned out from playing all three characters back-to-back-to-back in August for 1.0.

HOWEVER, I have been taking notes from things you and others have suggested so I don't miss anything in 1.1!   ;)

AND your enthusiasm (not to mention your exploits) have me itching to begin playing as our favorite scoundrel once more...   ;D