Author Topic: phpbb or smf?  (Read 4784 times)

asianmusicguy

• Villain
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
phpbb or smf?
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:46 PM »
so  i recently had trouble with spam  on my phpbb board someone had compromised and was recommend i switch to smf now seeing as may of the sites i visit including this one use smf whats the draw for smf what makes it better in a sense then phpbb?
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.  ~Michael Jackson

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: phpbb or smf?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
I have no spam issues with my phpBB board. At least not after I setup a Q&A challenge instead of CAPTCHA. The trick is to not use questions that can be Googled.

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
I've never really run a phpBB board (not recently anyway) so can't tell you the differences but SMF has always worked very well for me. It's highly customizable with themes, styles and mods, has a great community of support and is pretty damned secure. The same could be said about phpBB too but for me SMF is very easy to manage and I wouldn't have any need to change.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

asianmusicguy

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
Yeah i tried that and it work really while but somehow recently hasn't been my host is a independent host and a good friend   and worked hard to get everything back to a state  it got so  my email service was black listed all is  ok now but  reinstalled the board and disabled it until i figure out a solution he recommended either smf or maybe and seeing as all the "cool" people use that i have been considering a switch 
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.  ~Michael Jackson

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
The only security issue that I had was not a phpBB problem. A while back I was getting barraged by constant port scanning. I kept banning the IP blocks responsible, but they would start up in a new range. They managed to break into the FTP and meddled with an .htaccess file, which I caught and fixed right away. What ended it was to block all IP ranges from China, which I guess is what a lot of webmasters have resorted to doing.

asianmusicguy

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
Id more then likely switch but i cant seem to contact my web designer to set up a new theme shes done all my website work since 2008 so im at a loss

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »
If your theme is that old, it is probably not completely compatible with the latest version of phpBB. It may work, but there will be broken features and well as possible security holes. This is why I make nearly all of my theme  based on ProSilver customizing just CSS, overall_header.html and the overall_footer.html. It makes it quick and easy to recreate my theme based on the new ProSilver.

asianmusicguy

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
oh my themes not old I just meant i have had the same person  designing my website and forum since 2008 but shes recently been busy so cant help me switch over to smf