Author Topic: The Quest For Infamy Companion (Strategy Guide/Art Book/Hint Book w/Decoder)  (Read 56216 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile

So... what about an Art Book/Strategy Guide/Hint Book with decoder window for Quest For Infamy? Yay or nay?

Well, the reason I ask about interest is because to make something like this, we'd probably have to use crowd funding (Kickstarter, et. al) to raise the initial kind of money we'd need to be able to make these - not only to pay the price for the production of the book, the creation of the custom decoder window, eBook versions, etc - and to pay someone to construct the layout of the book; to arrange the text written, the artwork, and create the decoder text to be seen - etc.

It wouldn't be a really high goal project, at least to do an initial run of say - 100-150 copies - probably with a basic goal of $3,000 to $5,000 for an initial production of that - but we'd have stretch goal ideas for a larger print run, hardcover editions, etc. I know we'd love to produce something like this, but I wanted to not only gauge the response and want for an item like this from all you people - but if we do decide to run a crowdfunding campaign, to get your input on what you'd like to see from the campaign.

We don't wish to tread into something like this lightly, and you fans have been our only support in this - we don't have any corporate sponsors or the like, so keeping you involved in the process is very important to us.

So - it's really important to me (Bt) and the rest of the team to get your thoughts. Would you pledge so something like this? Any ideas for the campaign? I know the book is a physical reward - but we'd be doing a eBook version of it too for Nook/Kindle/Pdf - but those would require one physical element; red decoder glasses you can wear as you stare at the screen, etc. Anyway - Thoughts?

(reposted from our facebook page)

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
Re: Potential Quest For Infamy Stratetgy Guide/Art Book/Hint Book w/Decoder
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
I already said this on Facebook, but I will SO be in for a Kickstarter to get an old-style hint book of the game.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Yeah, it'd be a combination Art Book/Hint book - It'd be arranged so that the art on the pages would be relevant to the content of the hints/strategies on the pages - plus, the decoder window would be a custom job that would have more original artwork by our artists on it as well.  Plus there would be historical information about the world the game takes place in (Tahrsein) and bits of information about other lands, etc - the history of development on the game.  Most likely naked pictures of James Mulvale, our composer.  (I kid, I kid!)  But, yeah - chock full of hints to get you through the game, plus a few redherrings, silly questions and outright lies.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

BigD

• Recruit
  • Liked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
You can count on me to heave in a coin or two. It will be interesting to see how you think about the reward tiers for this Kickstarter.

$20 - 2 naked paintings of James Mulvale
$50 - 1 naked painting of James Mulvale
$100 - No naked paintings of James Mulvale
$1000 - Okay, we'll never bring up the subject of naked James Mulvale again.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
I'm definitely in support of this.  I think the red herrings are a cute idea but only (IMHO) if the correct answers are given afterwards.  I'd be frustrated otherwise--I like my walkthroughs to be pretty straightforward.  But this old-school style with the decoder window is just awesome.  I'll back you guys for this, no question, regardless of how you want to design it.

Naked pics, I'd back for twice as much!   :P

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
I'm a little disappointed that there is no mention of using the old yellow "Yes & No" pens to reveal hints -- that it's not even being considered.  I thought you guys wanted to go "old school" with these projects?

What could be better than an elegant, hard cover edition completely marked-up with yellow ink stained and bleeding through the one-time-use hint pages?

The least you could do is make a "Reveal-O-Matic Electronic Hint Revealer" (à la SQ4) for revealing hints for the digital edition -- that way, the hint could be hidden once you moved off that page -- no more planned obsolescence!

Well, no matter; I'm fully on board with whatever you people at IQ choose...

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
We were going to do the yellow yes/no pens but then we decided we're not masochists!

Bt

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »
I always enjoyed the "first person" hintbooks, like 7th Guest or the Space Quest series.  7th Guest read like a horror novel while Roger Wilco's ruminations were often times very hilarious!

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
You know, I used to love sniffing those yellow markers.  I think that explains a lot about me.   :o
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 02:47:07 AM »
You can count on me to heave in a coin or two. It will be interesting to see how you think about the reward tiers for this Kickstarter.

$20 - 2 naked paintings of James Mulvale
$50 - 1 naked painting of James Mulvale
$100 - No naked paintings of James Mulvale
$1000 - Okay, we'll never bring up the subject of naked James Mulvale again.

I was for the idea of the book, now I just want brain bleach.

We were going to do the yellow yes/no pens but then we decided we're not masochists!
Bt

Think of the Infamy you'd gain from it though.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »
So, if anyone would like to take a preview gander at this, send me a PM.  I'd like to get some input from people, and I trust our fans the most.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
So, if anyone would like to take a preview gander at this, send me a PM.  I'd like to get some input from people, and I trust our fans the most.

Bt

HA!  Wrong answer, McFly !

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »

Bt

HA!  Wrong answer, McFly !

YOU SHUT YOUR GOATMEALY, MOUTH!

Bt

Than1134

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:14 AM »
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!! no really i would total buy/crowdfund this product i love the old sierra hintbooks and i miss them and you should totaly put in bogus questions in the hint books

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »
Personally I don't think I would back a hint book on Kick Starter. While it is a nice throw back to the old school days, I would be more likely to throw some funds at helping another team get their game off the ground ahead of a hint book. I