Author Topic: Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!  (Read 31242 times)

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »

Quest For Infamy Soundtrack! This weekend only - $4.99!!! Get over 80 amazing tracks from the game, composed by James Mulvale! Features the full end-credits song, "Don't Count On Me" and unused tracks from development!! It's a steal!!

http://www.infamous-quests.com/home/2014/10/qfi-soundtrack-50-weekend/
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:12:05 AM »
heya
sorry a bit late on this post

does the soundtrack come as compressed mp3? flac? lossless?
etc

80 tracks and some not in the game!
must.. have..

Let me know what format its in (store page doesnt say, usually it does)
most soundtracks come as flac these days but 80 tracks, id assume would have to be mp3 :(
either way let me/us know ASAP!

PS was a hardcopy ever released  ?
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
Kaldire -

The format is 320kbps MP3s, and is HIGHLY recommended.

The hardcopy CD release was part of the original Kickstarter reward system, IIRC.  And like the other physical rewards, BT and the gang are working hard to get them manufactured and out to the good folks who supported IQ in this crazy en devour!

shmerl

• Lackey
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
The format is 320kbps MP3s, and is HIGHLY recommended.

Will you consider releasing it as FLAC? I usually prefer using other codecs than MP3 (mostly Opus), but reencoding even from transparent MP3 will reduce quality. Reencoding from FLAC to anything gives an option to keep it transparent.

If hosting is an issue, you can for example sell it through Bandcamp. That's how Volgarr the Viking project did it for example. There shouldn't be a serious reason not to sell FLAC these days.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
They are MP3 320s, which as far as I'm concerned is as close to WAV/FLAC as necessary for the size of the package. Also many tracks were rendered on my old system and I don't have many of the original masters left (damn hard drive crashes and I'm lazy at backing up) If it makes any audiophiles feel better, the originals were rendered at 24bit so there is minimal loss at the MP3 conversion stage. I hope this answers your questions, but yeah they're all 320s
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

shmerl

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Also many tracks were rendered on my old system and I don't have many of the original masters left (damn hard drive crashes and I'm lazy at backing up) If it makes any audiophiles feel better, the originals were rendered at 24bit so there is minimal loss at the MP3 conversion stage.

But you did produce a CD from the originals? I guess that's as good as it can get if there isn't anything else, so you can create lossless FLACs from that CD for example. I think even if you create transparent MP3 (i.e. 320 Kbps one), when you reencode from that into another lossy codec, the quality will drop. And I usually prefer to create smaller sized files using modern codecs like Opus (for example with 140 Kbps which is roughly a transparecny level for Opus). I.e. FLAC is not so much for audiophiles who prefer better sounding record (320 Kbps MP3 sounds exactly the same), but for those who prefer to have more control over the lossy format for example for reducing the size of the mobile library and so on.

I.e. I usually see it like this. I buy the album in lossless FLAC, and then encode it in Opus (at 140 Kbps which gives transparency and sound exactly the same as FLAC). Then I keep both, and use Opus for example in my mobile devices. Keeping FLAC is good since if tomorrow some codec XYZ comes out which is even better than Opus (for example produces smaller files on transparecny level or has even lower CPU usage and so on), I just can encode those FLACs into that XYZ. But if you have the music in lossy only, it will have to stay in that form forever in order not to lose quality.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
There was no CD. It would have been a double or triple CD anyway!!
Everything was originally rendered down to 320kbps MP3 and then OGG for the game. I've spectrum analyzed 320s vs FLAC vs WAV and the only real loss is psychoacoustic information that wouldn't be heard anyway. If you do a blind A-B I very much doubt you'll guess it right more than 50% of the time.

anything below 320 is garbage though.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
The hardcopy CD release was part of the original Kickstarter reward system, IIRC.  And like the other physical rewards, BT and the gang are working hard to get them manufactured and out to the good folks who supported IQ in this crazy en devour!

Sorry for starting the whole "CD/not CD" confusion, Sickfiction...

Guess I've been Kickstarting too many adventure games and getting the rewards all mixed-up.   :o

Regardless, everyone please buy the soundtrack.  It's only $5 this weekend, and you'll get much more than $10 (regular price) of enjoyment out of it...

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Just for fun, here's a little thing I made from a WAV I found on my PC. There is a loop that comes in in either FLAC or MP3 3 times each but in no particular order rendered back into a WAV (lossless) try to guess which is which (without using spectrum analyser). At the end of the file is an inverted phase waveform over the the MP3 just to show you the tiny amount of missing information.

shmerl

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »

I see, thanks.

Everything was originally rendered down to 320kbps MP3 and then OGG for the game. I've spectrum analyzed 320s vs FLAC vs WAV and the only real loss is psychoacoustic information that wouldn't be heard anyway.

The benefit of FLAC is not that it would sound better than 320 Kbps MP3, but that it has all the original data, so when you encode FLAC -> Lossy codec XYZ, you can still keep it transparent (i.e. the result would sound the same). But when you encode 320 Kbps MP3 -> Lossy codec XYZ, the result might be impossible to keep on the same level of quality even if you set encoding transparency level for the codec XYZ. Simply because each lossy codec has its own ways to cut corners for compression which can be good on their own, but when they combine it becomes worse.

So hopefully in the future you can keep masters in FLAC :)

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
Re: Re: Re: Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

I see thanks.

Everything was originally rendered down to 320kbps MP3 and then OGG for the game. I've spectrum analyzed 320s vs FLAC vs WAV and the only real loss is psychoacoustic information that wouldn't be heard anyway.

As I said, the benefit of FLAC is not that it would sound better than 320 Kbps MP3, but that it has all the original data, so when you encode FLAC -> Lossy codec XYZ, you can still keep it transparent (i.e. the result would sound the same). But when you encode 320 Kbps MP3 -> Lossy codec XYZ, the result might be impossible to keep on the same level of quality even if you set encoding transparency level for the codec XYZ. Simply because each lossy codec has its own ways to cut corners for compression which can be good on their own, but when they combine it becomes worse.
To get around that you would have to add one more step - converting to WAV first with antialiasing filter THEN to lower bitrate MP3/Whatever that transcoding is working from a lossless-version-of-the-lossy-mp3

shmerl

• Lackey
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
To get around that you would have to add one more step - converting to WAV first with antialiasing filter THEN to lower bitrate MP3/Whatever that transcoding is working from a lossless-version-of-the-lossy-mp3

Yeah, and that is just to clean some of it. That's why it's much easier to just keep FLAC for any future processing :) It's good for master copies.

shmerl

• Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
By the way, I see that AGS still doesn't support Opus. It's better than Vorbis in general (and saves size especially on small sound samples), so it's good to add such support. I'll take a look at it, may be something interesting to help with.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »
Sorry fella, for $4.99 you get the MP3, we'll turn a blind eye to you transcoding it for use elsewhere... :D

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »
Although there was talk of having a super-limited-edition-vinyl pressing of a few select tracks...