Author Topic: Is Roehm to ruin rp like qfi?  (Read 13351 times)

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Is Roehm to ruin rp like qfi?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
Not really, we'll fix a few bugs before the tablet release but that's probably it.

Why not put in a few of the cool suggestions I made in privious threads to make it even more infamous? The would be almost universaly welcom and might help qfi on your back list? I cant beliave you only sold 25 games.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »

Why not put in a few of the cool suggestions I made in privious threads to make it even more infamous? The would be almost universaly welcom and might help qfi on your back list? I cant beliave you only sold 25 games.

It's not that easy just to "insert" a few new things into the games (vast programming, art, music, speech, and beta-testing elements are needed).  At this point: BIG effort = little payback.

And again, by playing version 1.1 first, it looks like you missed the "new stuff for the update" phase of QFI; they DID add the three new rooms for the 1.1 update that were not in 1.0...

Lastly, I believe the "25 games" comment was an exaggeration, and should not be taken as a "serious" number.  Klytos likely used an absurdly low number to drive home that fact that the QFG-style game -- while there are superfans out there -- is still definitely a niche (i.e., tiny/minuscule) market compared to other types of adventure games, let alone video games in general.

If there is such a clamor for QFG-style games, there would be dozens and dozens of similar adventure-RPG hybrids games out there.  For the last 20 years, however, there are only two that come to mind: Quest For Infamy and Heroine's Quest, and both of those are just within the last year or so.

It makes MORE sense to design other adventure games that expand your fan base, so you can sell more games.  In turn, you can make enough in revenue so to make another game that may not make as much money.  It's like movies: giant blockbusters help pay for the smaller indie movies that may not make economic sense in the long run, but are still important in their own right and should be made.

Plus, branching out is important because people -- designers and gamers -- have different interests.  Sierra didn't make only King's Quest games; LucasArts didn't keep remaking Maniac Mansion.  They made different games to appeal to more and more people.

And, with an expanded fan-base, that means more adventure game fans might have more exposure and be more apt to take a chance on a QFG-style game by a company with a proven, successful track record, rather than trying a first game sight-unseen:

"Quest For Infamy 2?  Oh, it's from the guys who made the Order of the Thorne. I liked those -- I'll give QFI2 a try!"

as opposed to

"What's Quest For Infamy?  Who are Infamous Quests?  It's their first game?  I'll pass..."

And with its long and storied 10+ year history, just be happy that QFI was ever able to be made in the first place...

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »

It's not that easy just to "insert" a few new things into the games (vast programming, art, music, speech, and beta-testing elements are needed).  At this point: BIG effort = little payback.

And again, by playing version 1.1 first, it looks like you missed the "new stuff for the update" phase of QFI; they DID add the three new rooms for the 1.1 update that were not in 1.0...

Lastly, I believe the "25 games" comment was an exaggeration, and should not be taken as a "serious" number.  Klytos likely used an absurdly low number to drive home that fact that the QFG-style game -- while there are superfans out there -- is still definitely a niche (i.e., tiny/minuscule) market compared to other types of adventure games, let alone video games in general.

If there is such a clamor for QFG-style games, there would be dozens and dozens of similar adventure-RPG hybrids games out there.  For the last 20 years, however, there are only two that come to mind: Quest For Infamy and Heroine's Quest, and both of those are just within the last year or so.

It makes MORE sense to design other adventure games that expand your fan base, so you can sell more games.  In turn, you can make enough in revenue so to make another game that may not make as much money.  It's like movies: giant blockbusters help pay for the smaller indie movies that may not make economic sense in the long run, but are still important in their own right and should be made.

Plus, branching out is important because people -- designers and gamers -- have different interests.  Sierra didn't make only King's Quest games; LucasArts didn't keep remaking Maniac Mansion.  They made different games to appeal to more and more people.

And, with an expanded fan-base, that means more adventure game fans might have more exposure and be more apt to take a chance on a QFG-style game by a company with a proven, successful track record, rather than trying a first game sight-unseen:

"Quest For Infamy 2?  Oh, it's from the guys who made the Order of the Thorne. I liked those -- I'll give QFI2 a try!"

as opposed to

"What's Quest For Infamy?  Who are Infamous Quests?  It's their first game?  I'll pass..."

And with its long and storied 10+ year history, just be happy that QFI was ever able to be made in the first place...

Hey mr. Goat, good points, yes indeedy...why dont you check out my new uncommented upon reasons thread ,you might have some ideas, ol pal of mine...for some fun things to try, by the by.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
Hey mr. Goat, good points, yes indeedy...why dont you check out my new uncommented upon reasons thread ,you might have some ideas, ol pal of mine...for some fun things to try, by the by.

I did see your post earlier today... the only problem is, I still haven't played version 1.1... at all!   :o  I've been really busy with work since January, and burned out from playing all three characters back-to-back-to-back in August for 1.0.

HOWEVER, I have been taking notes from things you and others have suggested so I don't miss anything in 1.1!   ;)

AND your enthusiasm (not to mention your exploits) have me itching to begin playing as our favorite scoundrel once more...   ;D