Author Topic: Getting a runtime error when I try to uninstall old version (gog.com)  (Read 5407 times)

Mright

• Recruit
  • Liked: 11
    • View Profile
So title pretty much says it all. I have the original version of the game installed, decided to get the 1.1.1 upgrade and give the game an other go. But when I downloaded the patch it said that it wasn't compatible with my game and I needed to download the latest version of the game... So I tried to re-download the game... but then it would just say that it is already downloaded and installed... Sooooo I tried to uninstall it, and that is where I ran into this runtime error.   

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
havent seen that since like 2004 !

runtime of VB error.. visual basic aka windows code.

usually not admin or cracks are involved, or windows is messing up, can be many things.
try to first use like an app vs windows to uninstall, say, add remove doesnt work, try ccleaners add remove etc

but id make sure you have a legit copy or those reg/cracks will sometimes cause this but rarely.. urm

no clue mate! what win you running? and gog version obviously of the game. hmm

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
You'll need to talk to the GoG tech crew about that. They do their own installers there and they should be able fix that up for you. Sorry!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
most likely though gog will say its a user error but they are nice folk there unlike valve so yep ask away,
id still recommend a few uninstaller aps just to see if it can bypass windows on that

might be so many issues, but idk what it is, usually it happens if a file goes corrupt or part of a file, or a crack etc.
but not always.

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Mright

• Recruit
    • View Profile
So I tried ccleaners to no avail... I have tried messaging gog with no reply yet. It is certainly not caused by it being pirated. That said I am having the same issue with all my gog games it turns out... So I am sure it has nothing to do with QFI. I think the issue was caused by gog galaxy somehow. 

Mright

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Sorry, for reviving the dead, just ignore this post and it will go away, but I just got an email telling me this post had been moved and when I looked at it I realized I never posted the solution, my bad.

Any way, it was a pain, but the issue was caused by gog and not the game. I had to contact the gog help and modify some very weird files (they worked me through it). Apparently they had a problem with the update to gog galaxy that was specific to my version. Meaning that when I tried to update from the version that I had to the latest version it changed some system setting that would caused galaxy not to work. Any way I had to reset the setting and all became right.

TL;DR just contact gog support and they will get back to you in time. It just takes them a while.   

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: Getting a runtime error when I try to uninstall old version (gog.com)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 02:15:44 AM »
Apologies, I didn't switch off the notifications when I cleaned up the forums earlier today!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."