Author Topic: Disney shutters LucasArts for good...  (Read 5902 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Disney shutters LucasArts for good...
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
Yep, LucasArts is going the way of the dodo... and Sierra...

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20130403&id=16311380

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Liked: 2
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Disney shutters LucasArts for good...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
I think it was the best thing that could happen. Disney would not have done adventure games anyway... now there's at least a chance that another developer could use any of the AG licenses to make a game.
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
Wow.  Speechless but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  It's kinda disheartening to see them still describe this as an action-oriented gaming industry, just for the reason that I'd like to think in my (maybe disillusioned) mind that adventure games are making a big comeback...or at least gaining in popularity again.   :-\

But I agree--I'm hoping it will allow for easier access to either remake or add to some their classics like Monkey Island or Grimm Fandango without the threat of lawsuits.  Or am I jumping the gun on that?  I mean, there are tons of Maniac Mansion knock-offs after all, and no one's gotten in trouble...?

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
Huzzah!!
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

asianmusicguy

• Villain
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
    • Crystal Utada
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »
No more crappy star wars games oh my how will we survive
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.  ~Michael Jackson

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:27 AM »
They're converting the business into a licensing entity (per their press release).  I sincerely hope this results in streamlined licensing... I'd love to see a small crew do a retro-styled Indiana Jones game like from the 90's. I always thought there should have been 2-3 more of them  :)
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:58:48 AM »
No more crappy star wars games oh my how will we survive
This

The shutting down of Lucasarts will not mean any difference for us that want to see adventure games. At least not in a negative way
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:09 AM »

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
I know it's utter blasphemy to post this on an adventure game web forum, but I'd like to see a revival of LucasArts' space combat simulator.

I thoroughly enjoyed all 4 games in the X-wing series, and still play quick single-player missions in X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter from time to time...

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:53 AM »
Hey, I loved those games too!  I have X-Wing on my computer RIGHT NOW.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »
X-Wing was so delightfully challenging, and yet extremely addictive, and with great AI, because it always felt like no single mission ever went exactly the same way twice.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
X-Wing was so delightfully challenging, and yet extremely addictive, and with great AI, because it always felt like no single mission ever went exactly the same way twice.

Yep.

While the first Wing Commander was enjoyable enough, I never was interested in it enough to continue on with the rest of the series, let alone finish WC1.  It just felt like attacking a series of scaled bitmaps* -- and trying to "land" at the front of the Tiger's Claw was more than a little off putting when there was only four views of the carrier: Front-above, 2 Sides & Rear, iirc.

But when X-Wing came out, their use of low-res polygonal shapes really felt like you were moving in 3-dimenional space and around "solid" objects -- fluid and simply phenomenal.

* While the same could be said about Wolfenstien, Doom and all of the early bitmap FPSs, at least you could move around within 3-D environments in those games; the black backdrop of "space" in WC added very little to the immersive experience.