Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153389 times)

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »
To be fair, they have said that Graham will have the option to aim a bow and arrow in a first person view at the dragon.

Ah!  Thanks Lamb, I had missed something afterall :) 

Chadly- While I agree that first person shooters are very popular at the moment, they are a genre in their own right.  Not "every" game on the market now is in first person (I don't like/play them myself and I have a steam library fit to burst with current games that don't fall under that category) so I don't think that's something you need to worry so much about.  The occasional action sequence (we had a first person archery mini game in QFI) fair enough, but from the look of the footage already submitted that's not going to be prevalent.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 07:15:24 AM »
I think this "King's Quest" will be a fun game.  It looks pretty nice, and from what I hear, there's a lot of whimsy.  They'll never invest in or make a KQ like we used to know and love, so once I accepted that - I could look at this differently and say, "Cool.  I'll check it out."

It's basically up to people like us to make more traditional adventure games - and hope that we can continue to make games that find their audience.  Wadjeteye seems to be doing a fine job with that, so the market is out there - but it's not large enough for a publisher like Activision.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
They'll never invest in or make a KQ like we used to know and love, so once I accepted that - I could look at this differently and say, "Cool.  I'll check it out."

the market is out there - but it's not large enough for a publisher like Activision.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 08:25:31 AM »
Also, while I have no problem with the game or it's marketing, I do want to say that people who are all like "Ken and Roberta liked it!" are really failing to realize that they were paid to be at that "awards" ceremony, and paid to shill for this new King's Quest.  This is how PR and promotion works when you have a company that has millions of dollars to spend on advertising.  If you look, you will find that the advertising budgets for all of the top games are almost the same or exceed the production costs of making a game.  This kind of event is nothing more than marketing - very nice looking, slick and sweet to "honor" them, but it's marketing.  People never spend money like what was laid out on the event we saw unless it will make them money.

I know a lot of people want to believe in the charm and honesty of something like King's Quest - and there is a valid portion of that which lives in all out hearts - but in the end, it's a product for a company whose shareholders demand profit.  So always keep a healthy bit of that in your mind when you think of what's coming.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »
I laugh a bit to myself when people think that Sierra was anything different to Activision when it comes to making money. Ken would have been the first to cancel a series or game if it stopped selling.

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
@Klytos Different blokes, different strokes. It all depends on which kind of games you like. If you're a fan of the Call of Duties, I doubt that you hate Activision. It is more likely that they don't like/haven't heard of the oldschool King's Quests and may actually enjoy the new KQ due to (what appears to be) the constant action that the trailer provided.
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
I know a lot of people want to believe in the charm and honesty of something like King's Quest - and there is a valid portion of that which lives in all out hearts - but in the end, it's a product for a company whose shareholders demand profit.  So always keep a healthy bit of that in your mind when you think of what's coming.

I laugh a bit to myself when people think that Sierra was anything different to Activision when it comes to making money. Ken would have been the first to cancel a series or game if it stopped selling.

Klytos beat me to my point:

Once you take off the "nostalgia goggles", the same can be said about Sierra and LucasArts -- to the dispassionate observer, both companies were merely businesses in search of a profit.

However, they were extremely lucky/fortunate in one key aspect:

They were the pioneers a new game genre, where no historical comparisons could be made...

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
I love Sierra, I wouldn't have spent a decade of my life remaking two of their games if I didn't. But I really don't do the hero worship thing and look at Sierra with the rose-coloured glasses that some others seem to. So in that respect I don't have anything against Activision.

The new game will be what King's Quest has always been, something different to the one before.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
Not enough cock-sucking in this thread.  If you don't watch it, I'm going to perma-ban all of you.  This is your only warning.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
Not enough cock-sucking in this thread.  If you don't watch it, I'm going to perma-ban all of you.  This is your only warning.

Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »
Adventure Gamers has a pretty extensive preview/interview article up as of yesterday.  There's not a ton of new info there, but I did like his explanation of his favorite King's Quest games.  Kind of funny considering all the hate KQ5 gets on AG, and yet he talked about how well that one holds up (to fans who actually get the series.)  That's probably the most heartening thing I've heard yet in relation to this project.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
They show the first person mode for the bow in the video I posted in my last post.

But Graham also is a weak shot... He send the arrow all but 3 feet in front of his face before it loses speed and falls into the river...

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »

Listen to the Coles discuss just that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL97LQ84u3g

Also keep in mind The Odd Gentlemen are not a big company, they are an indie company themselves. They probably are not working from all that big of a budget. Many of the developers in Odd Gentlemen were King's Quest fans themselves back in the day. They are also happy to take their own take on the series.

Attacking them by accusing them of f not being King's Quest fans is more or less like saying that "All fans are equal, but some fans are more equal than others..." paraphrasing George Orwell. Or to say just because another team got the right to make the game, they are somehow less 'fans' of the series, than those who made games for free out of the love of the series. But in reality you don't know how big of fan they really are.

I'm a huge King's Quest fan (I even like KQ8 despite its flaws), but I've never made a KQ game! But none of this makes me any less of a fan.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »
Kind of funny considering all the hate KQ5 gets on AG, and yet he talked about how well that one holds up (to fans who actually get the series.)

How much does it pain you that you can't point that out over there right now?

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »
Adventure Gamers has a pretty extensive preview/interview article up as of yesterday.

LINK please.

(I'm just absolutely too lazy to be bothered to search for it...)

(FULL DISCLOSURE: Even then, I might not even read it.)