Author Topic: Stupid laptop keyboard  (Read 5981 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Stupid laptop keyboard
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »
So, certain keys on my laptop keyboard just aren't working.  Including the space-bar and return key....

To be fair, it was a little dirty and had some crumbs in it, heh, but this happened all of a sudden like a half hour ago.  Also, this USB keyboard I plugged into has more junk in it than a 60 day old beehive hairdo and it works fine....

Any tips?  It's an Acer 4540.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Stupid laptop keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
Maybe an aerosol can of compressed air could help clean it out?  You haven't spilled any liquids on it recently, have you?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
No, it wasn't any liquids.  Seriously, I was just in the middle of typing and keys started to act funny.... now some work fine, others do not.  I have no idea what's going on.  I do need to get some compressed air to clean it.  Just stymied.  I could order a whole new keyboard and install it.... ugh.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Jerminator

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
Haha..... happened to me not long ago. You can actually pop the keys off of the keyboard. Just get a small tool of some sort and get underneath them and pull them up and off, then like Lamb said you can use some aerosol, or a qtip or something to clean the inside out real good. Then pop em back on and see if it helps. If not then a new keyboard may be in order but unless you really banged the keyboard up or spilled liquid on them damaging the circuits it should be just a dirty issue.

Hope that sorts it out bro.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
If it happened suddenly it may be one of the connections broke. Not long ago I had an expensive keyboard die because the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the small circuit board suddenly developed a non visible crack in one of the traces. Be careful if you try to remove any of the keys. On shallow keyboards it is easy to break the flat keys if you do not do it just right.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »
Yeah, they're really shallow.  I'm thinking maybe the connecting ribbon isn't working.  Because it's only select keys that don't work.... plus, it seems the underside of my laptop gets really hot.  I can feel the heat through the keys in my keyboard.

Bt

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:31:50 AM »
If you sat it in your lap you'd feel the heat in your balls. Might be fun.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »

It is, I have done it before!
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of guys fighting over who gets to run the jackhammer. ;)

Monster

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

It is, I have done it before!
Just don't let it sit there too long.  You'll fry your boys!

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Ctrl-M is your new Return... and you can use your mouse, highlight spaces from somewhere else, and use Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to type each Space character.

Done, and done.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."