Author Topic: Gamergate- what is it exactly?  (Read 8707 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Gamergate- what is it exactly?
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

As far as I can tell it all started when game designer Zoe Quinn hopped in bed with Kotaku reviewer Nathan Grayson for a good game review.

Zoe's ex-bf was mad so he outted the liason, then when people started attacking Quinn online the internet feminists came to her defense.

After that, trolls subverted the movement by doxing everyone in sight and so what started as a noble cause was corrupted and those in power were able to dismiss the whole movement as merely anti-women internet trolls when in reality it was a dedicated few poisoning the well.

Is that the gist of it?  I feel like you guys might have a better understanding of the story then I do.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Gamergate- what is it exactly?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:24:41 PM »
Nobody knows what Gamergate is from.  Neither the protestors nor supporters have any idea what it's all about, they both just enjoy getting in their little jabs at each other and nothing changes and nothing is accomplished. Absolutely nothing.

It's dying, I hope it dies, because everyone is too stupid to do anything about something SO stupid.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 03:11:19 PM »
...they both just enjoy getting in their little jabs at each other and nothing changes and nothing is accomplished. Absolutely nothing...

Sounds like the perfect explanation of every "discussion" ever had on the Internet...   :P

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »
I've followed it a little bit, took me a while to even understand what the hell it was about. Supposedly it's about ethics in game journalism, but it's built on sand in the first place - a total douchebag gets the shits with an ex and posts intimate details about their relationship online. The facts of course, never get in the way of a good internet-lynching - while Zoe Quinn did have a relationship with that reporter, he never reviewed her game in the first place so the whole original outcry was based on a lie.

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »
ouch

happened to me a few times ruined my promotions career with epitaph :(

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
I've followed it a little bit, took me a while to even understand what the hell it was about. Supposedly it's about ethics in game journalism, but it's built on sand in the first place - a total douchebag gets the shits with an ex and posts intimate details about their relationship online. The facts of course, never get in the way of a good internet-lynching - while Zoe Quinn did have a relationship with that reporter, he never reviewed her game in the first place so the whole original outcry was based on a lie.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/08/admission-quest-valve-greenlights-50-more-games/#more-183169

Is this the review in question?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:39:08 AM »
I guess so, that's not a review though. Follow the link to the review and it's done by some other dude.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 02:08:10 AM »
So it seems like he did bring attention to the game and highlight it even if he didn't review it directly himself.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:12:28 AM »
In a list of 50 other games.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:40:45 AM »
I think im outta the loop on this one
no clue whats going on

i mean i know of gamersgate and i read the links but still, confused shrug

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Hah, I honestly have very little idea what it's about either. All anyone really talks about it broad sweeping statements that in the end mean little.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
well urm yes and no

ever hear of roleplaying in the bedroom? get on cheerleader age 45!

or ever hear of acting? how about the united states of TARA one of the most kick butt shows that was canceled she had multiple personality
1 was like a small kid, one was a teen like hooker  1 a house mom lol
soo she shouldnt have done those roles? im lost at these old farts saying what they do

imo he shouldnt act ever..
but thats me i never liked him. in anything... that includes gladiator.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/08/admission-quest-valve-greenlights-50-more-games/#more-183169

"Every day, approximately 43 billion new indie games spring into existence from mysterious ethers far outside the realm of human comprehension. We approach these portals into The Beyond with great apprehension, then we scuttle away with our bounty, arms and hearts full of excitement and terror. We call this process “game development,” and it will probably bring about the end of the world. Until then, though, someone needs to curate these things, so Valve blasts new finds with its organizational death laser, Steam Greenlight. Yep, that’s exactly how it all works and this is not just me filling space because I’ve written far too many Greenlight posts at all. Anyway, standouts: powerful Twine darling Depression Quest, surrealist Thief usurper Tangiers, and sidescrolling epic Treasure Adventure World."

He listed it first among the "43 billions new indie games."

Too bad he hadn't been dating a female staffer from Infamous Quests or else then maybe he would pimped out your game instead. :P

BREAKING NEWS!  Nathan Grayson finally responds to how he feels about all the controversy, a must-see!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/171/490/doesnt-matter-had-sex.jpg

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
You're asking what gamergate is, Bad2DaBone, but you seem to have already made up your mind on your own.  I thought perhaps you might like to see the effect this "movement" has on real people's lives, regardless of their past indiscretions which are, of course, none of our business.

http://ohdeargodbees.tumblr.com/post/107838639074/august-never-ends
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"