Author Topic: Marching Towards Infamy!  (Read 12067 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Marching Towards Infamy!
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
Well folks, it's been an amazing Summer for us here at Infamous Quests.

Our Kickstarter Campaign was very succesful, and we're now marching on - towards Infamy!

This game has been in the works for a while - about a year ago, while racing towards the finish-line with Space Quest 2, I began to put the wheels in motion to get this project started.

I wrote, and I wrote - I made outlines, and got ideas assembled.  I wanted to make sure I had enough stuff to go on, and get a team together to work on this.  I kept plugging at it, a little at a time, while we were running around like a bunch of lunatics, trying to finish up all the details on Space Quest 2.

So when I finally pitched it to Klytos in November, we had a good idea of what we wanted to do.  After talking a short break following SQ2's launch - we started up Infamous Quests, and the Infamous 7 went to work creating what became the demo.

WHEW.

So, now - we've had more talent flock to our banner - and things are progressing really nicely here!  I've been on a tear lately, trying to write more and more bits of dialogue, and coming up with more and more puzzles.  I'm excited about the coming months - and I'm excited to show you what we're up to. 

Demo v 2.0 was originally planned to be released during the final week of the Kickstarter - to show the backers that we took some suggestions and implemented them.  However, due to a massive storm in Chucklas' area, he had no power and was forced to not work on the game, but to sweat his ever-loving face off and occasionally use his iPad to tell us that he was okay, but his freezer had a lot of melted and ruined food. 

Now, we've decided to take Demo V 2.0 to another level - and add more of the game to it.  What you saw in the demo was part of the game - but there were elements left out - the interiors of more shops in Volksville, and another area of Volksville.  The characters that populate them - and more of the woods that surround the town!  Along with some improved, top-secret game mechanics - we think you'll find playing the "intro" of the game to be a more satisfying experience. 

I do not, as of yet, have the official release date for that - but I can say it will take more time, so it won't be anytime very very soon.  Probably a couple of months.  But, we're working on it!

As always, send me your questions, send me your photos of you being Infamous.  Oh, and first person to Cosplay as Roehm gets either a Boxed Copy of the game - if they don't have one coming, or a small sprite Cameo in the game.  Boo yah.  So, hey, if the mood strikes you at Halloween - let'er rip!

Bt

Fighter's Frenzy: Fight - Defend - Fight - Fight - Defend
     Mage's Mindgame: Magic - Drink - Drink - Magic - Sneak
     Chief Thief:  Confer - Drink - Sneak - Defend - Sneak
     Failed Diplomacy: Confer - Drink - Confer - Bribe - Bribe
     Devious Dirtbag:  Sneak - Drink - Confer - Bribe - Escape
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
Re: Marching Towards Infamy!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
I can't wait to try out Demo 2.0 and the game itself when it releases, of course.   ;D
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:53:34 AM »
A couple of months?  Wouldn't that be November?  Which is a month out from your estimated December release, correct?  At that point, why not push for the actual release and not bother with a demo?  Is there a schedule slip to discuss?  Give us the nitty-gritty... we're your friends.  Best to be transparent with scheduling as early as possible.

Chadly's head may explode  ;D
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:36:39 AM »
A couple of months?  Wouldn't that be November?  Which is a month out from your estimated December release, correct?
During the kickstarter BT indicated that if the increased content stretch goal would mean production time would be extended by a small amount.

Personally I think they should release demo 2.0 very close to the main title release. It will give them the chance to build some momentum into the release and hopefully that transfers into sales.

Are you finding many delays in production or have you been able to stick to your schedule? I always felt an early 2013 release date was going to be pretty demanding for an adventure / rpg hybrid.  Either way I think the key is to release the  best possible product and if that takes an extra few months so be it.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:58:41 AM »
Yes, that's right S_D - with the additional content we're adding to this game, it's stretching production time out longer.  Which is why I'd like to have a longer and more content full demo to release to the backers towards that date.  I want everyone to stay excited about what QFI has to offer, and I want to keep everyone in on the loop. 

Right now - I feel everything is on schedule.  We're certainly cruising along - I know this: everyone on this team is extremely dedicated to getting this game out sooner rather than later, and to ensuring that in that time frame, we are still producing a quality work.  There's a lot of overlap and overtime.  Hell, people have been doing work from the road - travels and vacations!

Making a game is a long process - we're lucky that we're almost, in essence, a year into the production of this.  Building the demo that we made already laid the groundwork for the game - and now we're polishing off a few more mechanics to the engine, and we're off to the races.  Story, storyboards, puzzles and plot elements are be refined - taken from the original concepts, expanded in some places, edited in others, and being prepared for the programming aspect.  The background art department is cooking up the whole world of QFI - The Valley of Krasna is coming to life in a major way - the attention to detail and the sense of teamwork that we have is unbelievable.  We really have a fantastic art team.

Bt

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
Yes, that's right S_D - with the additional content we're adding to this game, it's stretching production time out longer.  Which is why I'd like to have a longer and more content full demo to release to the backers towards that date.  I want everyone to stay excited about what QFI has to offer, and I want to keep everyone in on the loop. 

Ah, yes, silly me.  Trying to be involved with so many adventure game projects/communities and my own projects  (plus work & family) had me forgetting about the "you gave us too much money to make it on time!" excuse  ;)

I must say that's my favorite schedule slip excuse.  Now that I remember, I'm reminded that it was that,  in addition to the opening of the dungeon to wealthy tourists from abroad, which influenced my final pledge bump.

Making a game is a long process - we're lucky that we're almost, in essence, a year into the production of this.

The background art department is cooking up the whole world of QFI - The Valley of Krasna is coming to life in a major way - the attention to detail and the sense of teamwork that we have is unbelievable.  We really have a fantastic art team.

Perhaps luck was a factor, but it would have been meaningless had your team not worked so hard (with no compensation) for so long.  As you (and your team) have detailed in the past, you busted your collective asses to bring the project to the point it was, prior to launching the Kickstarter campaign (in-depth detailed analysis by armchair pontificators is available elsewhere on the IQ forums).

Speaking of the art team... I personally thought that the time-lapse art videos were incredibly cool.  Coupled with previewing James "sickfiction" Mulvale's brilliant scoring (music is art!!), they made for my favorite kind of juicy update.  Bt, is there a chance that Jerminator and Corrigan would engage in another foray into videography for backers?

Watching backgrounds and character portraits being painted was an extremely gratifying and oddly hypnotic experience for me, and a chance to hear a teaser of sickfiction's sweet, sweet, tones would also certainly help to tide me over for a month or so!  I'm also keen to watch part of a walk-cycle or idle sequenc being animated, if that could be arranged!

I can't be the only one that loves seeing little VGA dudes & dudettes all animated and movin' around, can I?
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
I'm actually demanding that Jerm and Corrigan make more videos.  THE INTERNET DEMANDS YOU PEOPLE!  They'll be happy to oblige.

Honestly - in the coming months, I plan to have little video updates made by all of the team - we had a lot of fun doing the "Meet Team Infamy" video, and each of these guys on the team are friggin' stars.

Bt

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
A couple of months?  Wouldn't that be November?  Which is a month out from your estimated December release, correct?  At that point, why not push for the actual release and not bother with a demo?  Is there a schedule slip to discuss?  Give us the nitty-gritty... we're your friends.  Best to be transparent with scheduling as early as possible.

Chadly's head may explode  ;D

Ha, that was my first thought too, Chadly will have a comment!  Haha.   :D

Anyway, I'm just glad that the IQ team is still excited to make the game and working diligently on it.  My opinion has always been that you guys should take the time you need to make the game exactly how you want it, and we will wait (because well, do we have another choice?  ;) ) and gladly play it when it's ready and appreciate all your hard work then. 

Weird question though--will any of the cameo sprites or in-game portraits be in the future demo (since it's still months away) or is that only for the final release?

Sarah

P.S.  I don't know how to quote two separate posts in my reply but in regards to BT's last post, I'd love to see you guys do a team update video sometime.  I really enjoyed "Meet Team Infamy", nice to put a face to you guys.  Jeremy's not from Texas is he?  He has that twang we all have...haha  :D

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
I'm actually demanding that Jerm and Corrigan make more videos.  THE INTERNET DEMANDS YOU PEOPLE!  They'll be happy to oblige.

Awesome!  The internet is on my side for once!

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
P.S.  I don't know how to quote two separate posts in my reply but ...

SarahLiz -

I'm sure there's an easier way, but here's how I do it (a pretty round-about way):

1) Open two browser tabs or windows.

2) Open this (or any) forum in each tab/window.

3) Select the message you want to quote from one tab/window and "quote" it.  This begins a reply with the first message "quoted."

4) Select the second message you want to quote from the second tab/window and "quote" it.  This opens a second reply with the second message "quoted."

5) Highlight and copy the second "quote" HMTL language from the second reply

6) Paste it below the first "quote" in the first reply.

7) Close the second tab/window.  Continue your message in the first tab/window.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »
Weird question though--will any of the cameo sprites or in-game portraits be in the future demo (since it's still months away) or is that only for the final release?

Looks like Sarah is volunteering her sprite/portrait for a video update (that's what she said, right?  Right?!).

P.S.  I don't know how to quote two separate posts in my reply but in regards to BT's last post...

Sarah, the way I do it uses a touch of copy/paste.  Basically, just open the thread in two tabs, and begin a quoted reply to both posts.  Then, copy it from the reply editor text box in one tab, and paste it into the other (either before or after everything already in the text box).

Also, if you wish, you can copy it twice and trim the contents between the quote start and end, if you wish to split up a quote and reply to specific parts, like I've done here.  It's a bit of extra work, but I can be more concise this way.

I'd love to see you guys do a team update video sometime.  I really enjoyed "Meet Team Infamy", nice to put a face to you guys.  Jeremy's not from Texas is he?  He has that twang we all have...haha  :D

Actually, that video was a great update!  It was one of my favorites other than the Kidneyboy update, which actually made my wife tear up... and I admit a grain or two of sand in the lacrimal caruncle.  Another group update would be pretty awesome, especially if each team member could kind of show off their update.  Everybody was so enthusiastic and charged up about the project!  Another idea;  perhaps you could run a Google Hangout with the IQ team, maybe nidoking as well, and then share the Youtube URL with us sometime afterward (G+ can automagically record hangouts for later viewing, if you want).  That was used, to great effect, on SpaceVenture superfan hangouts and in the Tex Murphy KS wrap party.

Sarah, isn't Jeremy in Tennessee?

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
Ah... Goatmeal posted while I let my compose tab languish.  I guess there was some red warning text... I never read those  ::)

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:39 AM »
Jerm is indeed from Tennessee :)  His accent is the bomb isn't it?

And yes, I think the little videos were our favorites updates too, as a team.  We enjoyed watching each others a great deal.  Maybe partly because we work so closely with each other, but are so geographically far apart, so we miss getting to actually hang out.  We (Jerm and I, and the more recent, incredibly talented additions to our little art team) would be more than happy to get some more process vids out to you guys too.  I think I work at about half the speed and accuracy when I'm being observed, haha, so I'm lucky I can time lapse them!

Thanks for your continued enthusiasm and encouragement for our project, it really helps push us forward :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:08 PM »
Ah, the ol' cut & paste...should have known!   :P  Thank you s_d & Goatmeal for the breakdown...

I would happily offer a sprite of myself (is that the correct way to say it?  Prolly not.)  I really just want to see how us "real people" will come alive in the game.  Doesn't have to be me... :-[   Ha.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
Chadly's head may explode,  Well after many hours spent in the hospital I'm happy to report my head has been reattached to my body.  I now look like something that Dr. Frankenstein created! ;D  Looks like i won't be needing t buy a costume for Halloween this year. ;)
**********Chadly*********************